Topic: What would you do?

Last night I got kinda put on a spot. We played music with our regular group last night when one of my good froends came up to me and asked if he could use my 12 string guitar to play a song. Since this has never happened before I didn't know how to refuse so I said ok. Well he used the guitar, played his song and then bragged to everyone there on how easy it played and how good the sound was. Later on a fiddle played can in to join us who only shows up once in a blue moon. When it got to her time to sing a song she started looking for a guitar she could borrow and the guy who had just used mine stood up and said " use Dennis' guitar" as it sounds great. So, not knowing how to say no, I let her us my guitar. Now, I'm not one who borrow's other peoples stuff nor do I like "loaning" out my stuff to people I don't know really well. Then, as we continued playing around in our circle it came time for the fiddle player to get another turn - so here she came with the "can I use your guitar again". HOW DO YOU SAY NO AND KEEP THINGS CIVIL? what would you do in this situation?

Nela

Re: What would you do?

Let her use it. Unless it is for any period of time. If it is only for a song or two, no problem. I have let others use mine without even asking. All they have to do is ask me how it plays. I hand it to them and say "See For Yourself".

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

It can be a difficult decision to make .On a bigger scale ,but still with the same relevance,my band we to play support to two very big bands at a festival ,but due to the egos said bands who I wont name ,our slot was cut .The other support band a UK based tribute ac had arived with out any instrument as the organisers had prommised to supply them.The organiser had the nerve to ask if we could lend them ours as we would not be playing.
My answer. F###k off.

How ever among freinds the answer would have been use mine.

That was kind of rude it put you on the spotlight. I would let them use it and also tell them I do not want any scratches etc. on it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Dino we  did  later  receive an apology  and  a prime  spot  the following  year plus a  fabulous  hotel for  the duration of  the  festival.

When we meet in the local pub for a mess around we do pass the guitars, or sometimes guitar around. I dont mind as long as the person using it treats it with respect and knows how to play. Pete Townshend has never been in our pub, but the answer would be no.

Thick as two short planks

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Let her use it. Unless it is for any period of time. If it is only for a song or two, no problem.

Yeah. I've never denied anyone the use of one of my guitars unless they were stumbling down drunk. And back in the day, it did happen on more than one occasion.

Grah1 wrote:

Dino we  did  later  receive an apology  and  a prime  spot  the following  year plus a  fabulous  hotel for  the duration of  the  festival.

Glad too hear that.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I would not let anyone use my Les Paul period!! if something happened I am responsible to pay for the damage and it is a good way to loose friends so I would politely decline a request to "borrow" my sweetie.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

I would not let anyone use my Les Paul period!!

OK. Thinking about it this way, I do have one that I'm very selective about who picks it up. My 1946 Epi Broadway.

It's your guitar, NELA. And unless I missed something, that means you have the final say, regardless of anyone else's opinion. If you're uncomfortable loaning it, then by all means ... be comfortable!

I have said yes and no, had one guy ask to play my Taylor. he had been working on his truck, told him I didn't even want him to touch the case with his greasy hands

out of tune out of key and out of touch

i often get asked if someone can borrow my tele during a gig.

point 1, this is why i learnt to play lefty.

point 2, i tell them you sing i'll play and if they don't like it....walk on.

i don't like anyone touching my babies anyway

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

People have let me play their guitars. They didn`t have to. So I have no problem letting them try out mine. They are usually players that have the same respect for a guitar that I have. Plus, I am always there. They are usually extra careful with them. I have to tell them it is a guitar. Play it. If they should break a string, I replace it. If it gets a scratch, it is the chance I have to take. While it is your choice whether or not to let them play it. Don`t be surprised if they have something you would love to try out and you get refused. That goes for all my guitars. Whether it is my cheap Harmony to my White Falcon. I have gotten to try out some great guitars that I would never think of buying. So I return the favor.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I let people play my guitars. Instruments are meant to be played.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Nela, I have been in your situation. When you get put on the spot ,there are times you don't know what to do. I have Martins and Taylors that I bought because they are what I wanted and I wanted to play. Even though they are mine I still "Baby" them because I want them around a long time. I have respect for my guitars and everyone else's. I have let close friends play mine as they have let me play theirs, But I know they respect me and mine. These are close friends. Not everyone shares that opinion. I have turned down some people in the past. How you say No is sometimes hard to do or hard to figure out how. I still haven't totally got it worked out either. Most times I say " I don't generally let others play my guitars". It gets some people worked up and some really get angry , But that's too bad. The end result is what you are comfortable with, not anyone else. I'm on your side though. Good luck.

Joe

The guitar in question was my 1989 DY72 K Yairi 12 string. Of all the guitars I own this is my favorite. If you read my post above the 1st  guy was an old friend whom I have played mysic for many, many years. He asked and I offered the guitar for him to play. The "fiddle" player was someone that I have only met once or twice. I know she is an skilled player but it was kinda taken for granted that my guitar was available for anyone to play. (she did bump the mic stand a couple of times but it was with the tuner) I don't like loaning out any of my stuff but have from time to time. Some items have came back in the same condition as the were when loaned out and some have came back dirty or broken. Anyway, this kinda ruined my night.

Nela

Well, NELA... you're the one who owns and takes care of it.  Ultimately, it's your choice.  I like Tyson's wording... "I don't generally let others play my guitars" ... you could certainly reword that to, "I don't usually let people I don't know too well handle his guitar.  It's kinda special to me."  They'll get the hint, and if they don't, then they're dumb and you have a good reason to flat out say no.  Maybe it'll be a conversation starter.  Maybe, if you DO decide after talking to them that you wouldn't mind, they'll be a bit more responsible with it.  I can understand the frustration though, she should have brought a guitar with her if she wanted to play a guitar.

I generally let people play my guitar if they want to try it out, but I don't have a 1989 Yari either.  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I let them play them. Good friends are sometimes harder to replace than good instruments. However before they get far into their song I will decide if they will play it a second time.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

20 (edited by dino48 2016-01-06 20:04:49)

No one comes too my place that wants too play but if they did I would  tell them they could play my tiny takamine ( not my new one) but I would also tell them too please not scratch it etc. I think I would have let her use it but explain that someone else not you gave her permission in the first place.

I don't let people play my guild hollow body or gibson. And someone else loaning out your instrument is 100% off limits IMO. I would buy your good friend a beer and tell him that you're ok with him playing it since he's a trusted friend but it made you a bit uncomfortable to loan it out to people you don't know as well, and ask him to not do that again.

I let people play mine.. we have kitchen jams all the time , I have a dozen or so acoustics and all are played often, they make my kitchen a happy place...

badeye   cool

one caper after another

I let people play mine any time but never lend them out

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.