Topic: New frustration

Why is my voice clipping? 

The mic's not too hot.  Is it the master send volume?  Or perhaps the master record volume in the software.  Or maybe the mic is too hot. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8loqph56edn8 … 5.mp3?dl=0

The song is Cat Steven's Trouble.  It's been Zurfelized.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: New frustration

Zurf wrote:

It's been Zurfelized.

New word for the Chordie Vocabulary!!!!

"Zurfelized" - Now you have to tell us what it means, Z!

wink

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

It's a little like musicating, except you take other people's musicatiousness and put an arrangement on it that uses chords and transitions you know so you don't have to go through all the bother of learning something new and useful.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I like it, Zurf. smile

Being "inventive" in other words?:)

Bil

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Zurf wrote:

It's a little like musicating, except you take other people's musicatiousness and put an arrangement on it that uses chords and transitions you know so you don't have to go through all the bother of learning something new and useful.

I like the words you used also zurf,If all else fails Drink several adult beverages!!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I think I figured out why my voice was clipping. Normalizing was on. So either the mic was too hot, the channel send was too hot, the master volume was too high, or the master recording volume was too high.

This cannot be fixed by button pushing. It's time to pull out the big guns and twist some knobs.

Zurf wrote:

Hmmmm... I think I tend to Zurfelize most songs.  wink

"Normalizing was on" - can't you push a button to shut it off?  Knobs?  Oh my... careful, don't twist them too far!!!!

On a side note... your singing is still coming along and sounding better every time I hear ya.  I may have heard this one the first time we met.  Of course the playing is great.  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:

"Normalizing was on" - can't you push a button to shut it off?  Knobs?  Oh my... careful, don't twist them too far!!!!

Thanks for the complement on my singing.  It had a very, very long way to go, but I am pleased with the progress.  When I listen to my old recordings, I don't finish.  I was just unlistenable.  At least now I don't cause geese, cats, and ferrets to run and hide when I play. 

As for the Normal switch.  It's in the software.  It's a push as to whether a virtual button or a physical knob is more dangerous to one's psyche.  One evening I'll work up the courage.

9 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-09-09 14:09:24)

I agree with Amy, Zurf, you are releasing that voice a little more, but in parts I do hear a little timidness, if you don't mind my saying so, my friend.

I was just thinking, and I don't know if you'd be willing to do this, but could you lay down the guitar track and then the voice on this one? I just thought it might show the strength of the voice a bit more, Zurf.

By the way, we still have the "Songs For Dondra" saved on Dopbox. smile

ETA: I meant to add that the melody is beautiful, Z. I don't care if the hound-dogs come baying at your door; please don't abandon songs like I do. It is totally worth your time and work.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

10 (edited by Zurf 2015-09-09 14:08:57)

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

I agree with Amy, Zurf, you are releasing that voice a little more, but in parts I do hear a little timidness, if you don't mind my saying so, my friend.

I was just thinking, and I don't know if you'd be willing to do this, but could you lay down the guitar track and then the voice on this one? I just thought it might show the strength of the voice a bit more, Zurf.

By the way, we still have the "Songs For Dondra" saved on Dopbox. smile

Bill

Thanks Bill.  I am always open to constructive criticism.  I intend to use that Dropbox account to share recordings and solicit constructive criticism.  I have received very helpful suggestions from Amy, Dirty Ed, Russell Harding, Jeff Gilpin, Detman101, and others not on Chordie over the years.  Without the support of these other talented folks, it would be difficult to improve. 

As for laying down one track and then the next, that is a good idea and I will try that in time but not yet.  Just now, my goal is to do some performing.  Recording is a means to an end.  By recording exactly as I would play live - doing everything at once in a single take - it gives me the feedback I need, and the opportunity to share the recording for constructive criticism from trusted friends.  To do the track by track recording will require me to put effort and time into learning the software and editing the tracks, when I'd prefer to put my limited time into improving performance.  I'll be putting some of them in that same Dropbox folder, so feel free to check in from time to time and give a listen to anything new, and please do send your constructive criticism my way.  I am eager for it. 

My birthday is coming up soon, and I have asked the beautiful and talented Mrs. Zurf for a PA that was on sale over Labor Day Weekend.  I won't get it, but I did ask for one. :-)  I'm also saving for some K&K pickups for my non-AE guitars. 

- Zurf

11 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-09-09 14:18:09)

Please check the "ETA" above. I also meant to add one more thing: My whole idea about laying down the guitar track and then singing on top of that was to make you a bit more relaxed, but I see your point as well, Zurf. You do what you think feels right and it will be right - always.

Bill

ETA: And about that PA, I do hope Ms. Santa brings it for ya, and I have wanted one for a long time - since I furnished the music room with the guitars, drums, amps and keyboard, but you know, they're just toys for me to play with - since I don't know anyone who isn't really familiar with what dementia is and what it isn't.

If I had you and the others closer to me, I'd bring y'all in at gunpoint if I had to! LOL!!!!!! smile

B

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

If we were closer, you wouldn't need the gun.

I admit to ignorance on dimensia, but what I do know is that Chordians are the kindest, most accepting people I've come across. I am more at home and at ease with a bunch of crazy Chordians than I am at my church.  That speaks either very well of Chordie or poorly of my congregation. I prefer to think the former.

The only folks that come close are river folk, but that's mostly because river folk just don't care.

13 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-09-11 14:10:57)

Whoopsie on 'The German Boy"!!!!!  wink

Of course I didn't mean that Zurf or any of y'all are ignorant and wouldn't come to my house and should have stated that in my post, but I......... forgot........ to make that clear.

Besides, I think that the Chordians who care about me already know from my writings the degree of dementia (lovingly called "batguano-ness" here) I have. wink

Sorry, I didn't make that clear, but I'd still make a citizen's arrest if we lived close-by and y'all didn't come over, river folk and all! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Normalizing the track is something you generally don't want to do.  It's always tempting to push levels so you get that great big fat mountainous wave form, but don't fall for it.  You want that head room.  You NEED that headroom!   I always target -6db on the master fader, and usually around -18 to start on any given track.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Excellent.  Thanks Jerome.

Hello Fellow Music Lovers, so Glad that I've found you!
I was searching a beautiful ol' song that I can't see or hear but I remember it.  You guys have it catalogued and show it! 
I'll be checking in lots more, for my old and new faves.
Others show this... Leblanc n Carr... They did Great with this!
["Falling appears on the album Super Hits of the '70s:
Have a Nice Day, Volume 25."]
It's tune is like what I've been doing on guitar... But my progression starts with bass of open A and D once each, use Dmj, 2nd-fr no high E, sync the three strings with a smooth rhythm. Second bar is open A once to B note x4, open D once to E note alternates. (Basically, an Em chord 2nd-fr.) and add the Gm note. (It's 4th-fr, 3rd string) Run back down. Repeat. Now start your fingering tricks with Em9th, IE, Gmj7th. Which is a sweet and easy pattern smile To Dmj7th, sliding to that Gm with your pinkie, at about 110bpm. Lots of harmonious changes are possible all around, when advancing.
People notice and applaud this cheerful melodie instantaniously!
Hope you can get it to enjoy it too.
Hope that I can make friends here also and talk about our commonalities. 
I'm eager to tell of my experiences in practices, rehersals, performances.
About instruments, notaion, writing, recording gear... and what I love.
Best Wisher To All! See Ya' ~Bax!

Greetings Bax and Welcome to Chordie!!  Pleased you have finally found us.... but between friends, we have not been hiding. wink

Take a little time to wander around the Forums, and read the "stickys" in each section for lots of hints and clues about how to get the most out of your experience here.  For instance introductions are usually done down in the Chat Section, so you might find your intro secretly moved down there by the section mod.  Don't be alarmed, it happens a lot with new people. 

You have plenty of Chordieans in your neck of the woods, that I'm sure you'll get to know quite well over a short span.  The East Coast mob seem to gather regularly up and down the seaboard (I just know it's because y'all are so close together gepgraphically unlike we Westerners), and a new face is always welcome if scheduling permits.

Welcome Aboard!  Visit often and make yourself at home, lots of good folks hanging out in Chordieland.

Keep your powder dry, nose above the waterline, and hang on I hear there's a squall comin'.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Welcome here bax. My son lives in Hardeville s. Carolina and and another in Guyton Georgia.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Greetings to Moderator Doug and Honoured Dino,
Yes by your smiles, you seem to say so... Much thanks for SOP site protocol Doug.
Without guidance my travels here would not be as pleasurable or prudent. But, where with would you hide from me? T'was only me sifting mountains of sand.
I bought my first guitar in San Francisco in 87 Doug, when stationed at Presidio. Both Hardeeville and Guyton are in my neck of the woods Dino. Have you been there? Today, I'm being lazy. The weather is gloomy. Grapes of Wrath is on.
I dreamed again of beautiful music and beautiful ladies. Love those nice dreams.
Think I'll look around town a bit now. Stickies huh?
Thanks for being here and for sharing the love.
New Friend, Bax. Here for you.

Hey Guys, thought I'd keep this chat going by sharing one of my favorite aspects of recording. Effect Modules, Algorithms and the Master Fader. As a
new-bee, I can only pray that my insights won't offend or step on any toes.
Do you agree with me, that this is where the warmth and heart are added to make your sound, "Big"? Oops, being paged now... so I'm gona run. Later Guys.

Bax-Baxter-Vance wrote:

Hey Guys, thought I'd keep this chat going by sharing one of my favorite aspects of recording. Effect Modules, Algorithms and the Master Fader. As a
new-bee, I can only pray that my insights won't offend or step on any toes.
Do you agree with me, that this is where the warmth and heart are added to make your sound, "Big"? Oops, being paged now... so I'm gona run. Later Guys.

Hey baxter are you in the flooding area there in s.carolina

I'm in the low-country Dino, we're just having lots of rain.
My Sis and her Hub were here this past wk. end.
They're living in that, Piedmont mid-state area.
The warnings are often taking over radio stations here.
Is Cali. still hurting for water?
and, are insert effect patches note worthy?
Could be you're one of the techs who burn-out on em' all day, each day?

Strummerboy Bill wrote:
Zurf wrote:

It's been Zurfelized.

New word for the Chordie Vocabulary!!!!

"Zurfelized" - Now you have to tell us what it means, Z!

wink

ONLY CAUSE IM THE ONE WHO METALIZE lolol He had to have his own!LOLOL

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)