1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-02-23 12:04:52)

Topic: Weekly Features

BadEye started his "Friday Blues Fix" several years ago, and has treated us to several hundred rare treasures. This inspired me to start the weekly "Prog Rock Chill Out" each Saturday morning, and Strummerboy Bill has added further flavor with his highly enjoyable "Monday Morning Classics". This has me thinking that there's 4 more days of the week, that 4 other Chordians could adopt for another weekly selection. A few suggestions might be:

Sunday: Spiritual / Relaxing Instrumentals
Tuesday: Country & Bluegrass
Wednesday: Folk
Thursday: Rock & Roll

It would be very cool to have a new selection for each day of the week, to give a good excuse for a second cup o' coffee each morning. Any takers?

Re: Weekly Features

I would do a jam band, jazz or funk thing.

JL

Baldguitardude wrote:

JL

You've got three different places to put that, depending on the mood of the song.  It could fit in bluegrass, folk, or rock.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:

JL

You've got three different places to put that, depending on the mood of the song.  It could fit in bluegrass, folk, or rock.

I beg to differ on jazz, which is really a genre unto itself, but I agree that jam and funk can fit into the categories you list. However, neither my interest nor knowledge is* deep enough in bluegrass, folk and rock to develop a weekly feed based upon those categories. Jam band music as a hybrid/crossover genre and funk as a niche type of music are a lot more interesting to me.

They are also pretty interesting for the forum from the SEO standpoint. A lot less traffic in jam and funk than rock and folk, I would argue.

*As an aside, I originally typed "are" here, but my grammar software corrected me. Does the above look correct to y'all?

Jazz and blues have a lot of cross-over.  It's hard to tell where one stops and the other starts. 

Jam bands - well shoot.  Who knows?  Put them somewhere and wait for someone to complain.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Baldguitardude wrote:

*As an aside, I originally typed "are" here, but my grammar software corrected me. Does the above look correct to y'all?

I think you confused it by using "hifalutin'" words like neither and nor..... both imply one OR the other not both, so "is" as singular should be correct even if it looks off.  I just know there is an English Major out there that will explain why both would be wrong......  wink

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Whatever labels are used, it would be cool if there was a weekly music feature for each day of the week. Doug's comment reminds me of a standing joke about the Canada Revenue Agency (our version of the IRS). If you call them 3 times for a tax law interpretation, you'll get 5 opinions. lol

Well... what genre would you put Ingrid Michaelson, Jason Maraz, Gotye, and Sara Bareilles?

Quirky singer-songwriter soft indie pop?  LOL!  That seems to be the kind of music I am enjoying the most.  I could do a thread like that I suppose.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

This is a fantastic idea, TF and I am looking forward to hearing these varied genres. Get it going my friends and I will be a loyal fan!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Old country or classic country would be good,   50's 60's 70's  stuff.   

badeye     cool

one caper after another

Lots of great suggestions from everyone ... but ... is someone going to step forward and actually do one?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-go6eKiLPFH0/UnYgZyHTkNI/AAAAAAAAOko/4iaTvSmv--I/s1600/cookie-monster-waiting.gif

12 (edited by Baldguitardude 2016-03-12 02:22:55)

I'll do one. I got Sunday.

Right on, BGD ... can't wait till tomorrow!

Things are moving now ... thanks to BadEye and BGD. So far we have:

Sunday ??? by BaldGuitarDude
Monday Morning Classics by Strummerboy Bill
Tuesday ... still open
Wednesday Prog Rock by Tenement Funster
Thursday ... still open
Fridays Blues Fix by BadEye
Saturday Country Classics by BadEye

15 (edited by dino48 2016-03-13 02:24:23)

Baldguitardude wrote:

I'll do one. I got Sunday.

BGD maybe you can do Rythem and blues like the temtations etc. Potporie  of anything goes area.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Alright... I'll attempt to do Thursday, since it's here and I'm here.  wink  I'm thinking I better just stick with gals in general!  smile

mekidsmom wrote:

Alright... I'll attempt to do Thursday, since it's here and I'm here.  wink  I'm thinking I better just stick with gals in general!  smile

Featuring a collection of the many great women in music would be excellent, and us guys have not given them their proper place in the limelight. You've got a huge talent pool to draw from, and likely hundreds that I've never heard of.

You go, MKM ... you go!

Since Tuesday has not yet been claimed for a weekly feature, I hope no one minds if I start one next week. It'll be primarily fingerstyle / classical guitarists. If anyone else has something they were thinking of doing, please say so and I'll make way. Otherwise, we'll soon start "Tuesday's Flying Fingers".

Tenement Funster wrote:

Since Tuesday has not yet been claimed for a weekly feature, I hope no one minds if I start one next week. It'll be primarily fingerstyle / classical guitarists. If anyone else has something they were thinking of doing, please say so and I'll make way. Otherwise, we'll soon start "Tuesday's Flying Fingers".

I think that's an AWESOME idea!  smile

20 (edited by dino48 2016-04-10 00:46:43)

mekidsmom wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:

I think that's an AWESOME idea!  smile

Sounds good maybe you could add some potpourri in there also like the cookie monster above.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I'm going to do that one day every four years -feb 29th   leap year - call it " Misfit Maestros" starring those of us ( well that's actually just me)  who can't really play or sing, but do it any way.

smile  smile :0

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TIGLJK wrote:

I'm going to do that one day every four years -feb 29th   leap year - call it " Misfit Maestros" starring those of us ( well that's actually just me)  who can't really play or sing, but do it any way.

smile  smile :0

lol So we just finished a Leap Year, and now will have to wait until 2020 to hear your very first post in "Misfit Maestros". I hope neither of us have kicked the bucket by then! lol