Topic: RIP Tubatooter

I just found out that our old friend Dennis Grey, AKA Tubatooter passed away today. I'll never forget his kindness and the time he traveled all the way from Alabama to my place in  NC for a weekend jam. A veteran beach bar performer, he played guitar and tuba and can be heard on many of John Reno's CD's. Beyond his talents, he was a genuine great guy offering tips, encouragement and a lifetime of stories worth a belly laugh every time. I admired that old man like few others - he knew how to enjoy life. RIP toots - the earth lost a good-un today. Luck me, I've got one of his CD's and will be playing that regularly in the coming days

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: RIP Tubatooter

That is sad news to hear, I didn't know him as well as you Top but we did exchange some emails and chats my condolences to his family he was a nice guy.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

That's a real bummer one of our best here, RIP tubatooter you will be missed. Thank you for letting us know Jeff.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

RIP toots,,,   Chordie Nation will miss you....

badeye      ....

one caper after another

5 (edited by Doug_Smith 2016-03-01 04:24:54)

Sadness.......  His kind Spirit, Wisdom and Humour touched everyone in some positive way.

You will be missed My Friend.

badeye wrote:

RIP toots,,,   Chordie Nation will miss you....

badeye      ....

Here's a link to Toots making music with a couple of good friends (he's the fella with that big chunk of metal on his lap)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEfTv89utf8

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Toots helped make this forum the family feel it has. He  shared some of his family with us. No doubt little Casey has gotten bigger since I last saw his antics on YT while proud grandpa beamed on (no matter if it was a drum or skateboard). I always promised him a big smooch on the cheek when we finally got to meet.  sad I am sorry that didn't happen.  Toots would have no doubt been a welcome addition to any Chordie get together... The stories, the music, the singing, and laughter.  Rest in Peace, friend.  Tomorrow will be a day for listening to some Toots tunes on CD.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Sad day indeed, rest in peace Toots.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Must have been before my time here but allow me to add my condolences to the family. sad

I can only reiterate what has already been said. A larger than life character who will be missed by everyone whose path he crossed.

My condolences to his family.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Very sad news. I recall a number of encouraging posts he made in the Forums, and although I didn't know him, he was a Chordian and one that will be missed.

He was a talented, funny, and genuinely kind man.  He showed us how it's done on some of those Skype jams, though, didn't he. He had an encouraging word for everyone.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

He always impressed me as very funny, very nice and very helpful. What a shame.

so many of the members that were regular contributors when i joined (seems like years ago now) have fallen by the wayside. most just stopped posting for their own reasons, toots is the first i know of that have sadly passed on to a (hopefully) better place.

my condolences to his family and all the members that knew him in person and through chordie like me.

RIP TOOTS, you will live on through your posts and the music you made.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I never had a bad thought reading whatever it was he had to say.

That's a bummer.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Very sad news. Just the other day I was thinking about some of the "old" members we have not heard from lately and he was one of them. He was a true Chordian who always offered help, advice and humor with all his posts.

Nela

Sad news indeed.  RIP Toots

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

May I also add my condolences,this year hasnt started well a lot of good souls have passed.

that is aweful! wish I could have met him.  time to play with that awesome band in the hereafter.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

That's very sad news. I only "met" him once (I think) via a Skype jam, but he came across as a very funny guy and a fine musician. Condolences to friends and family...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

There has been an amazing number of stories about Toots posted to his Facebook page.  There was so much about this man that makes me feel like I missed out on something AMAZING by having not met him in person.  Clearly, he was so very well loved virtually and even more so in his day to day life.

As there are many condolences here for his family and close friends, I've posted a message to them offering our condolences and directing them to view this thread should they wish to.  Thank you Topdown for starting it.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks for sharing this thread on his FB page Amy. Dennis was an amazing man and lived life in a way I truly would like to emulate.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!