1 (edited by mekidsmom 2016-04-21 12:41:18)

Topic: Backyard Gathering - 2016 - Chordie Friends - August 6th!

Last Year's Gathering was a complete success as can be seen in multiple places online, but I'll just direct you to the thread here on the forums for perusal should you wish to view the details and results from last year:  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27357

Like last year, I don't have a date set YET!  But that will come, and will be updated here in the first post as we move forward.
As this is the same deal as last year, I'm pretty much going to copy and paste from last year's thread with a few little tweaks.  No reason to fix it if it ain't broke!

When: August 6th (approximately 5th-7th)
Where: Our backyard (or side porch?) in Central NY State
Who:  Local and Chordie Friends

What:
Backyard style gathering
Guitars
Food on the grill
Bon Fire (I'll have a chicken coop out there this year, so it shouldn't get QUITE as big as last years!)
Kid Friendly
Tent Friendly
Boat/Yak/Canoe Friendly

We'll do one day and evening dedicated as a backyard relaxed party (Saturday).  This means that if you live close you bring a dish, everyone BYOB and a lawn chair if you are able (coolers make great seats).  Bring your guitar or instrument of choice if you are able (or share, there's plenty of them here)!  Bring along the kids if you'd like (make sure they bring their suits because there will likely be a sprinkler or slip-n-slide set up).  Bring along warmer clothing for the evening (or stand within 10 feet of the fire for warmth).  Should it rain, we'll move to the wrap around porch or inside.  Jim and I will provide food (NY Salt Potatoes, NY Sweet Corn, burgers, dogs, SMOKED PULLED PORK, the best tater salad you've ever had in your life, fresh fruit, homemade cookies perhaps, etc). 

Note:  When I say, NY I do not live anywhere near New York City.  This is rural, Upstate NY.  We live in the central part of NY State.  Send me a message for the specific address.  Look up Oneida Lake, you can walk to it from my home, on the North Shore.

Of COURSE those traveling should plan to stay for the weekend and if you'd like to stay longer, we'd LOVE to have you!  The yard is plenty large enough to set up tents.  There are also tons of nearby NY State Campgrounds (as well as private ones).  There are motels close, and Hotels close enough.  We do have a little bit of space inside - couches to crash on, however we have hardwood floors so crashing on a floor may not be a best plan unless you bring along a pad.  Along with one day of an outdoor party, we'll do a few days of just relaxed picking, strumming, or helping you find cool things to see depending on the turn out of course (the guys visited Fort Stanwix last year)!  Nearby are streams, rivers, lakes, waterfalls, nature trails, and historic sites.  The girls and I took Roger on a hike down the Salmon River Falls last year.  The Boxing Hall of Fame and Baseball Hall of Fame are within driving distance as well.  The Adirondacks are about a 1 1/2 hour drive, Niagara Falls is about a 3 hour drive from here, and New York City is about 5.  If you want to come up and join us and go off wandering and exploring, I'll have dinner on the table for you when you get back.  smile  As Dirty Ed knows, the coffee is always on early in the morning, and hugs from the littlest are free.  Come visit and join us for a little in person Chordie Family Style Gathering! 

The closest airport is SYR.  For more specific details, shoot me an email.  We don't have a problem picking people up from the Airport and will drive further than the nearest one if need be! 

Should no one from Chordie be able to make it, we'll have a blast without ya!  wink  Seriously, we plan to have local friends and family over, so I'm extending this invite to my Chordie Friends as well.  We hope you can come!!

DATE HAS BEEN UPDATED!

So... who's claiming a couch?  Hurry!  Limited Quantities!  tongue

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: Backyard Gathering - 2016 - Chordie Friends - August 6th!

I have vacation time in August. If it is at the right time, I may be able to actually make it. Am I allowed to bring my girlfriend with me if I can??

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

mekidsmom wrote:

Last Year's Gathering was a complete success as can be seen in multiple places online, but I'll just direct you to the thread here on the forums for perusal:  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27357

Like last year, I don't have a date set YET!  But that will come, and will be updated here in the first post as we move forward.
As this is the same deal as last year, I'm pretty much going to copy and paste from last year's thread with a few little tweaks.  No reason to fix it if it ain't broke!

When:  TBD - I'm aiming for the weekend of August 12-14 - ANY ONE that is traveling here and has plans that weekend but could make it another weekend and wants to input suggestions on dates - I'm all ears!  Suggest away!  Roger????
Where: Our backyard (or side porch?) in Central NY State
Who:  Local and Chordie Friends

What:
Backyard style gathering
Guitars
Food on the grill
Bon Fire (I'll have a chicken coop out there this year, so it shouldn't get QUITE as big as last years!)
Kid Friendly
Tent Friendly
Boat/Yak/Canoe Friendly

We'll do one day and evening dedicated as a backyard relaxed party (Saturday).  This means that if you live close you bring a dish, everyone BYOB and a lawn chair if you are able (coolers make great seats).  Bring your guitar or instrument of choice if you are able (or share, there's plenty of them here)!  Bring along the kids if you'd like (make sure they bring their suits because there will likely be a sprinkler or slip-n-slide set up).  Bring along warmer clothing for the evening (or stand within 10 feet of the fire for warmth).  Should it rain, we'll move to the wrap around porch or inside.  Jim and I will provide food (NY Salt Potatoes, NY Sweet Corn, burgers, dogs, SMOKED PULLED PORK, the best tater salad you've ever had in your life, fresh fruit, homemade cookies perhaps, etc). 

Note:  When I say, NY I do not live anywhere near New York City.  This is rural, Upstate NY.  We live in the central part of NY State.  Send me a message for the specific address.  Look up Oneida Lake, you can walk to it from my home, on the North Shore.

Of COURSE those traveling should plan to stay for the weekend and if you'd like to stay longer, we'd LOVE to have you!  The yard is plenty large enough to set up tents.  There are also tons of nearby NY State Campgrounds (as well as private ones).  There are motels close, and Hotels close enough.  We do have a little bit of space inside - couches to crash on, however we have hardwood floors so crashing on a floor may not be a best plan unless you bring along a pad.  Along with one day of an outdoor party, we'll do a few days of just relaxed picking, strumming, or helping you find cool things to see depending on the turn out of course (the guys visited Fort Stanwix last year)!  Nearby are streams, rivers, lakes, waterfalls, nature trails, and historic sites.  The girls and I took Roger on a hike down the Salmon River Falls last year.  The Boxing Hall of Fame and Baseball Hall of Fame are within driving distance as well.  The Adirondacks are about a 1 1/2 hour drive, Niagara Falls is about a 3 hour drive from here, and New York City is about 5.  If you want to come up and join us and go off wandering and exploring, I'll have dinner on the table for you when you get back.  smile  As Dirty Ed knows, the coffee is always on early in the morning, and hugs from the littlest are free.  Come visit and join us for a little in person Chordie Family Style Gathering! 

The closest airport is SYR.  For more specific details, shoot me an email.  We don't have a problem picking people up from the Airport and will drive further than the nearest one if need be! 

Should no one from Chordie be able to make it, we'll have a blast without ya!  wink  Seriously, we plan to have local friends and family over, so I'm extending this invite to my Chordie Friends as well.  We hope you can come!!

I'll update the specific date as soon as I have responses from those that may be traveling from overseas - If you want to come but your dates are limited and you'd like to help us select a specific date in August, PLEASE DO post a message or send me an email or contact me somehow because all of August is open for us!

So... who's claiming a couch?  Hurry!  Limited Quantities!  tongue

My plans for Germany definitely include these dates however I hope Ya'll have  a GREAT TIME--and of course three words: video, video, video!! Have a blast!! smile

Blog: http://kimnoblemusic.tumblr.com
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/kimnoblemusic
Personal Site: http://kimnoblemusic.com/

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

I have vacation time in August. If it is at the right time, I may be able to actually make it. Am I allowed to bring my girlfriend with me if I can??

Well of COURSE you can bring the girlfriend along!  The more the merrier!  I know it's not a short drive for you, but Ken managed it last year with a fresh knee surgery.  If you can bring a friend, it'll make the drive that much more fun.  smile  I'll count you in as a possible YES! 

Any idea on when you'll know better about dates in August that'll work best for you?  I imagine you have to put in for time off, then wait for approval and all that jazz.  Do they happen to give you like.. months of notice in advance?  I hope so!  If the timing doesn't work out for some reason, keep us in mind anyway.  As long as we have a little bit of notice (a few days), we're always up for some guitar picking company!

kimnoblemusic wrote:

My plans for Germany definitely include these dates however I hope Ya'll have  a GREAT TIME--and of course three words: video, video, video!! Have a blast!! smile

That's ok, you take that UKE with you so that when you get back you can make it to the gathering in PA!  wink  There will absolutely be videos and pictures!  Maybe THIS year I'll actually manage to record some sound files too!  Last year, I didn't pay attention and the mic setting was too low.  The time before that I had a chance to record a get together, I completely forgot my SD card!  Basic cruddy video with the laptop though, that I can do!  big_smile

I think I am off on the weekend of August 7th. I have to doublecheck. I would love to meet everyone in person.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Hi JoeyJoey,

I just noticed you're from Mass! smile Hi Neighbor! smile

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

I think I am off on the weekend of August 7th. I have to doublecheck. I would love to meet everyone in person.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Yup!  Let me know, and we'll firm up a date here soon! 

Any one else with ideas on dates that may work better or worse for you if you could possibly make it?  Majority rules!!!!

mekidsmom wrote:
joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Yup!  Let me know, and we'll firm up a date here soon! 

Any one else with ideas on dates that may work better or worse for you if you could possibly make it?  Majority rules!!!!

That is the week I am off. Starting Sat. aug. 6.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

kimnoblemusic wrote:

Hi JoeyJoey,

I just noticed you're from Mass! smile Hi Neighbor! smile

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Two towns away from Thompson.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

sad   Once again and for the second time this year, I can not make it.  And I sooo would like to! Would like to bring the whole family! Carla and the kids can go galivanting while I sit and play.  One day.  Please broadcast again!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Don't forget to bring the bread machine.  smile

beamer wrote:

sad   Once again and for the second time this year, I can not make it.  And I sooo would like to! Would like to bring the whole family! Carla and the kids can go galivanting while I sit and play.  One day.  Please broadcast again!

OF COURSE Scott! 

JJJ wrote:

Ok... so you're off for sure August 6 until when? If you're not off on the 5th, I'm not sure you'll want to drive all the way here ON the 6th, so does this include the following weekend of the 12-14th??????  If so, then we may still be on without any changes. If not, we may be able to change it to the weekend of the 6th!  Just let me know. I do still have to do a little research for a special VIP guest before making a final date decision though.  wink wink

UJB wrote:

Don't forget to bring the bread machine.  smile

You'll be here right?  I mean, you know you wouldn't want to take a chance at missing out on seeing the infamous bread machine in person!  smile  I've still got you on the calendar for the other date... and you'll have to let us know when the weather will be good, if you need some help with the camp still!  big_smile

JJJ you better not show up without the bread machine,you could get old vegtables thrown at you.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I am off the whole week of August 7th. Due to my fairly brutal work schedule. 12-14 hours daily,  I need to get a full day of rest before returning mondays. Even if I could go 1 1/2 days on the weekend of the 7th, I would be fine with that.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Just had a lovely conversation with JJJ on the phone.  For those wondering, YES he does have a Mass. accent.  wink  Ok - so we're nailing down some dates here... looking at that weekend of the 5th-7th possibly instead of the 12th-14th.  Any one else want to chime in on specific dates that may or may not work best?

mekidsmom wrote:

Just had a lovely conversation with JJJ on the phone.  For those wondering, YES he does have a Mass. accent.  wink  Ok - so we're nailing down some dates here... looking at that weekend of the 5th-7th possibly instead of the 12th-14th.  Any one else want to chime in on specific dates that may or may not work best?

Accent ?? It`s the rest of the country that talks funny

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Okily Dokily Folks, the DATE IS SET!

This thing is happening the weekend of August 5-6th 2016 - that is approximately 3 months and 2 weeks from today!!!!!!

If you can only make it for ONE day - be here August 6th!  If you can make it for the whole weekend, come on up Friday and stay till Sunday - or come up sooner and/or stay longer! If you let me know what will work best for you at LEAST by the first week or so of July, I'll make sure I've got the extra time off to visit, play guitars, or at least make ya some dinner!  Extra visitation time is NOT a burden on me at all. I work from home and do NOT see adult human people often enough.  The excuse to take extra time off and hang out is WELCOME (Roger was here for 2 weeks last year... we loved having him here every minute!)

The closer we get to the date, the more I will harass you all with encouragement to make it here!  There are a few Chordians who were not able to make it last year, but were on the "maybe" list (ahem - Jim K and Dave).  I sure hope you can make it this year!  If I don't see you guys in this thread, you know I'll be harassing ya with an email eventually.  JJJ is planning to be here, and he hasn't met a crew of Chordians yet!  UJB - I'm PRETTY sure will be here.  Of course there's myself, MKD, and the MKK, and MKG (WHAT? = MekidsDad, MekidsKids, MekidsGrandpa - lol, the "mekids" family).  I keep trying to get Zurf to make his way up here, although every time he thinks about upstate he overshoots and plans to visit the wineries in the Finger Lakes.  THEY ARE close... but you gotta stop here on the way!  wink  KEN, what do you think?  Will Jen and the camper make it this year?  I know for a fact that a certain little blonde haired blue eyed beauty is hoping to see you again!  Not just her of course though.  Myself, Jim, Steph and my Dad - along with the rest of the crew!  We've got a few box drums here now too.  After the PA gathering, it was apparent that a little percussion was needed in our lives.  So, even if Steph doesn't choose to shower us with her guitar abilities, she WILL lay down a nice beat on the cajone to join in!

OK -so same deal as last year, if your interested, make a note here.  If you wish you could make it but can't, make a note here and tell us why you can't (maybe we'll be able to convince you how silly your reason is).  In a few weeks, I'll send out preliminary emails with the address (unless you need it sooner) to those interested and likely to make it and I will be more than happy to help with whatever planning is necessary from finding a motel/hotel/campground/etc or reserving a space in the yard or on the couch!  smile  Let's get this party started!!!!

Amy
ps - when I say "I" ... I mean "WE" - Jim is totally on board with the whole party and helping to make it happen.  I'm just the "spokeswoman"  LOL!

Yep. I'm there. http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_3099.gif

I`m planning on being there. Will have to look for a motel in the area.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

THREE WORDS FOR YA'LL!

VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO!! 

smile smile

Two more words:  Thank you! smile

I am estimating a 5-6 hour drive. If I leave early enough I can still get there at a decent time. Maybe take a nap in the car. My girlfriend says she wants to go and maybe The Trout. I will definitely have to plan ahead. It will be great to meet people in person.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

They have lots of tent area. That's what I did last summer.

It's appeared to me to be a bit of a tourist area. Rooms might be a little salty at that time of year but Amy would know better than I would.

unclejoesband wrote:
joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

They have lots of tent area. That's what I did last summer.

It's appeared to me to be a bit of a tourist area. Rooms might be a little salty at that time of year but Amy would know better than I would.

I would start right away to find a place. Myself, I would have no problem sleeping in the back of my SUV.  My girlfriend and daughter would though.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Sadly I will not be there this year. I had a fantastic time with Jim, Amy, Alex, Steph and special little Katie last year and was hoping to meet Joe, Ken (Dirty Ed) and Amy's family again. I am bitterly disappointed but, unless I win the lottery, it is out of the question I'm afraid.

Have a great time with plenty of videos and Skype if possible.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I'm not saying one way or another.  I did Skype in to one or two of the MeKidsBackyard Sessions.  I think Amy put the computer into a chair and had me in the rotation for an hour or so, while I barbequed and had a campfire (much smaller) in my own backyard.  Pretty soon we're going to wind up with multiple camera angles on satellite live feed using Channel 2 News surplus equipment.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude