Re: Backyard Gathering - 2016 - Chordie Friends - August 6th!

mekidsmom wrote:

I should be able to hook you up with a DD for one night if need be.  wink

Roger Guppy wrote:

Hooking up with DD for one night sound like an indecent proposal lol

Roger

mekidsmom wrote:
unclejoesband wrote:

Yes and No respectively.

Well then, more cookies and butt for you!  http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_3518.gif

mekidsmom wrote:
joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

So far. I am a definite yes. The Trout may not be coming. She is now working.

No problem!  More butt for you too!  tongue 

(I'm not being fresh... we'll be smoking pork butt)

I don't know JJJ. Sounds to me like we're being set up. smile

unclejoesband wrote:

http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_2456.gif  http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_4557.gif  Nah, I think my humor is just "off" a little.  LOL!

Doug_Smith wrote:

So I'm guessing you need the "Burrito Wrap" size Zig-Zag papers for that? wink

Sounds like a Parteee to me !!!  But once again I'm not going to make it this year.
Have Fun y'all.

http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_1458.gif  Hee hee!  We'll miss ya Doug.  Some day... some day...

That smoked pork was sooooooo good.  I had some that was left over.  Popped it in the freezer last summer, and pulled it out a few months ago when it was still freezing here.  It was phenomenal!  Melt in your mouth smoked pork... NY Bread & Butter Corn on the Cob... CNY Salt Potatoes.... summer is calling me!

http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_2222.gif

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:
unclejoesband wrote:

http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_2456.gif  http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_4557.gif  Nah, I think my humor is just "off" a little.  LOL!

I don't know???

I was having visions of exotic dancers on a stage where the barn used to be.  http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_1587.gif

OMG!  Speaking of "where the barn used to be" ... it's AMAZING how large my back yard is getting without that monstrosity there any longer.  smile  You'll have to check out Jim's International Backhoe.  He's been having a lot of fun moving remnants of the barn and digging holes and filling them in. 

I don't know about exotic dancers... there aren't too many of them around here.  Sure, there's gals that'll get lit up and dance on the bar, but I don't think they qualify as exotic - unless plump redneck chicks are considered exotic where you come from (ahem, I'll bet they're pretty common near camp, UJB).   

As much as a stage sounds like fun, I'm just hopeful he gets that all cleared out in time.  Someday, I'd love a guitar space there though.  I envision a gazebo or some type of pergola over there.  I think the chickens have used up the lumber allowance for the year however, with their fancy coop.

You have chickens now?  Guess I won't need to bring eggs with me this year.

And yeah, Perry County (where the camp is located) is the self proclaimed home of rednecks in the area. Nothing wrong with a pleasingly plump redneck. smile

Well.. I have a FEW chickens now (6 to be exact, though my sister may need to rid herself of some silkies soon... and I don't have anything against a couple tiny eggs as long as they eat less too), but they haven't started laying yet.  I don't think they will before August either.  They may have another month or so to go before I really start to get much production out of them.  The roosters aren't even crowing yet.  wink

Here's my favorite rooster ... you can see he's got a bit more growing to do yet:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13321866_10209533602235555_6002965817991392236_n.jpg?oh=96c743032f626af9f10b6c6e3fd9b2ac&oe=57D1FCB8

Of course, this was all a matter of a whole "homeschooling" project for the little one.  Including plotting their growth, making hypotheses.  Naming the coop included synonyms and antonyms, and then... well... general hard work, measuring, the build, caring for others, hygiene, etc.  It's been a ride!  She's hoping she can learn MORE next spring when we leave a few eggs under a broody hen (well, that's another hypothesis: will we have one?  which one will it be?).  I did have a few chickens before.  They lived in an old dog house.  These ones are fancier and therefore have a nice fancy coop.  LOL!  Jim went all out for his little princess!  Technically, they are "her pets". 

So yeah, if you've got eggs and want to bring them along, we'll certainly appreciate them, and will be more than happy to cook ya breakfast! smile

I'll save my "chicken stories" for around the campfire (someday)..... lived and worked on a ranch for a few years, learned Waaayyyy too much about the business, but plenty about genetics, diet, hatchery operations, and more.  The "home-school" aspect is almost limitless (depending on how deep you want to dig).

Helpful Hint:  Keep your Hen/Rooster ratio around 10:1 for best production and stress-free birds.
Oh yeah, go for the Gazebo.  Your Pergola will just turn into a roosting rack, unless you like feathers and fertilizer in your fruit-salad. wink

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

mekidsmom wrote:

Here's my favorite rooster ... you can see he's got a bit more growing to do yet:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13321866_10209533602235555_6002965817991392236_n.jpg?oh=96c743032f626af9f10b6c6e3fd9b2ac&oe=57D1FCB8
So yeah, if you've got eggs and want to bring them along, we'll certainly appreciate them, and will be more than happy to cook ya breakfast! smile

Love the markings on your rooster. He looks a bit like a young Bald Eagle. He just needs a longer and more hooked beak.

No problem. Unless laying comes to a screeching halt all of the sudden, I'll bring along a couple dozen eggs. There's about a 10 dozen excess right now and they show no sign of slowing down.

http://www.thehinzadventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/onemonth.jpg

Anyone else planning on coming that hasn't said so yet?  ZURF - any possibility you'll be able to make it after all?

mekidsmom wrote:

http://www.thehinzadventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/onemonth.jpg

Anyone else planning on coming that hasn't said so yet?  ZURF - any possibility you'll be able to make it after all?

Well Dad's doing a lot better, but it's still pretty iffy for me. 

I'm hoping to see Dirty Ed here in Virginia at a different friend's campfire at the same place where we had the Shenandoah Zurfapolooza a few years back.  The other friend is Herschel, of Hersch's Campfire Song

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

We are looking forward to it. Putting the deposit on the house this weekend. So far, it is just my girlfriend and I. ( Chris ).  Gabrielle is working now.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Wish my wife and I could make the trip. I'm sure it would be fun! You can tell all that I started gigging retirement homes, today my first! Through all the mistakes I think I passed. Nerves weren't a bad as I thought they'd be and Chordie has helped me gain some confidence with all the postings I've been enjoying and I'm looking forward to entertaining folks as long as I can.

Zurf wrote:

Well Dad's doing a lot better, but it's still pretty iffy for me. 

I'm hoping to see Dirty Ed here in Virginia at a different friend's campfire at the same place where we had the Shenandoah Zurfapolooza a few years back.  The other friend is Herschel, of Hersch's Campfire Song

I'm so happy to hear that your Dad is doing better!  I know you said recently you had the pleasure of visiting with him and your sister.  smile  That's awesome!  If you can make it, please do.  Bring along Hersh, Roger, the whole gang if you like!  Although, after the "tiny little campfire" we had last year, I'm not sure we'll need additional help from the "lighting guy", there could be a few raccoons to chat with. 

That's some beautiful area there on the River.  Gotta admit, I wouldn't mind visiting there again - though I'm not much for hopping into tiny boats without motors on them.

JJJ - my Dad just bought a camp around the corner from where you'll be staying.  Good chance we can get you two out in his boat if you'd like and the weather agrees!

Kevin, NE is certainly a bit of a drive to NY!  I can understand your inability to make it.  All the same, should anything change and you decide to trek halfway across the country, we'd love to have ya!  smile

MKM; sorry to take so long to make any definitive decision but have been dealing with my mothers health issues as she has been undergoing chemo and radiation five days per week.  Unfortunately, as much as I would love to make the trip, it seems life is getting in the way.  I will be forced to be satisfied with recounts from all of you and video and/or audio of the good times you all will have.   Thanks for the invite; maybe some other time!  Bass Viking, aka Big Jim

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Bass Viking wrote:

MKM; sorry to take so long to make any definitive decision but have been dealing with my mothers health issues as she has been undergoing chemo and radiation five days per week.  Unfortunately, as much as I would love to make the trip, it seems life is getting in the way.  I will be forced to be satisfied with recounts from all of you and video and/or audio of the good times you all will have.   Thanks for the invite; maybe some other time!  Bass Viking, aka Big Jim

Jim, I'm sorry to hear your mother is going through that.  It's so difficult to watch our parents in such a situation.  My father managed to kick cancer's butt a few years ago.  He didn't have to undergo radiation though.  That's a tough one for sure.  I can absolutely understand not wanting to go very far away from her.  We'll miss you, and raise a beer or bourbon, in your honor! 

I'm sure there will be some form of video as well as - hopefully - some audio recordings.  Last year I forgot to turn the recording volume up so all I had was barely there sound.  The live video recording quality was junky.  I'm not sure we'll live broadcast again, unless I get some serious requests for it.  wink 

UJB - wait till you see how that Rooster looks NOW! He's getting so purty!  I've only got a few, and 4 will hopefully lay some decent eggs but none yet. Jim says they'd better start soon or he's going to start eating them.  I laugh and tell him he needs to get that OKAYED with KATIE first!  Ha!  He then turns to mush of course.  Can't eat her "pets".  LOL!  My sister is bringing over an extra Silkie she has today. I think their eggs are about the size of pigeon eggs.  More pets.  LOL!

Ok - just a few weeks left!  The corn should be ready soon!  Can't wait for some fresh NY corn!  Yummmmmmmmmmm!  It's been quite dry here the past few weeks, hopefully it doesn't affect the local crops too much. So far I haven't noticed any major price changes in the local produce.  The farm stands could be a different story, but I'd rather hand them the money directly and know I'm getting the best of the best!

Sorry your Mom is having a tough time Jim.  Prayers for her from Virginia.

I'm out. I know I said it was unlikely for me, but I've been holding out hope because it's something I very much want to do.  However, there's no way I'm going to be able to make it this year.  I just got a new project at work and it's going to consume me through the end of August.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Sorry your Mom is having a tough time Jim.  Prayers for her from Virginia.

I'm out. I know I said it was unlikely for me, but I've been holding out hope because it's something I very much want to do.  However, there's no way I'm going to be able to make it this year.  I just got a new project at work and it's going to consume me through the end of August.

I was holding out hope too.  sad  Oh well.  Gotta make the money in order to spend it right?  We'll miss ya Zurf!

Did I see something here about homade cookies?  life is not fair,Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

Did I see something here about homade cookies?  life is not fair,Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

smile  Well, last year when heading to PA - I brought cookies.  I had thought they wouldn't actually go over well, however were completely gone by the time we left.  I'm not sure yet if I'll be firing up the oven to bake a few batches or not.  It's been sooooo hot!  BUT, it's possible!  Of course, if it's going to be crazy hot it may not be a good idea anyway.  Melting cookies in the heat get too messy. 

There WILL be smoked BBQ pork butt, corn on the cob (bread & butter sweet NY corn), best potato salad in the world, and... I'm not sure all what else.  I've gotta go get my shopping done this week!

Speaking a a WEEK...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9XMfOCRT6QY/U3O1_93btYI/AAAAAAAAIms/UcXbhMS8Q9g/s1600/one-week.png

I have my clothes all packed. Going to New Hampshire to get supplies in a few minutes. Leaving next Saturday morning. Should be there early to mid afternoon. Looking forward to it.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

mekidsmom wrote:

Well, last year when heading to PA - I brought cookies.

You just reminded me that I'm holding your containers hostage. I'm going to have to make a run up to camp. They deserve a weekend pass for good behavior. smile

Got all my supplies. (vices). Enough to share. Obviously, I won`t drink a whole case of beer and fifth of bourbon. Whoever wants some is welcome to it.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Got all my supplies. (vices). Enough to share. Obviously, I won`t drink a whole case of beer and fifth of bourbon. Whoever wants some is welcome to it.

So I'm guessing yer not Irish then?  Or you intend to live Forever..... for sure you'll not be accused of having abused yer Liver.... Light-weight!!

Just kidding there Joey, I'm "part Irish" the other part made me stop drinkin' 13 years ago..... the part I'm Married to! wink

Time was though, by Saturday afternoon I'd be Googlin' the nearest  Liquor Store on such meager supplies.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:
joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

So I'm guessing yer not Irish then?  Or you intend to live Forever..... for sure you'll not be accused of having abused yer Liver.... Light-weight!!

Just kidding there Joey, I'm "part Irish" the other part made me stop drinkin' 13 years ago..... the part I'm Married to! wink

Time was though, by Saturday afternoon I'd be Googlin' the nearest  Liquor Store on such meager supplies.

I wouldn`t say light-weight. Lol. I do have to drive though. In a different state on top of that. On weekends, my girlfriend and I split driving chores. That way, nobody has to worry about not being able to drive. Friday night, she dirves and I get to imbibe as much as I want. Saturday, I drive and drink diet coke. Plus--it is not like not drinking is going to be detrimental to my health.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Irish and German here!  Though... I'm not as young as I once was, I'll be playing hostess, AND it's really no fun when my fingers don't move the way I want them to.  smile  Back when I was in my 20's .... nah, that's a story better served on the rocks in person!  wink  Working today - then it's time to get the house and yard ready for company for the rest of the week.  OH - for those that were here last year, just WAIT till you see what Jim did with the porch!  It's not 100%, but it sure is a lot better!  Fingers crossed the weather is good.  So far it's looking a little questionable.  We'll make room for UJB and DE inside should they be concerned about leaky tents overnight!  smile  If we have to, we can always move from the yard to the side or front porch - or inside.  We have a pretty open dining room/living room area with plenty of space for picking!