26 (edited by unclejoesband 2016-05-10 00:41:23)

Re: The perfect campfire guitar

Zurf wrote:

I think the best approach is when someone else buys the guitar and then gives it to you.  That makes it good.

Free is always good if you can fall into it,  but I'm not sure that's exactly the idea he's looking for.  wink

For my personal taste:

Dreadnought

Solid Sitka Spruce top

Rosewood laminate back and sides

14 fret/ cutaway

Ebony fingerboard

Bone nut and saddle

Small dot markers on the edge of the fingerboard as opposed to the top

No preference on neck wood

Low profile, oval neck with a 1-11/16" width at the nut

No electronics. I won't be taking an amp to the campfire.
However, an on-board tuner would be handy if it didn't add too much to the final price

And to finish it off,  how about a gloss finish on the body for easy cleaning and a matte finish on the neck for smooth gliding

When will it be ready?  big_smile

27 (edited by beamer 2016-05-10 08:01:55)

Tenement Funster wrote:
admin wrote:

Thanks a lot for summing up, Amy.

To get the discussion rolling again, lets try to make it more targeted. Lets say - purely hypothetical - that Chordie was in the position of getting 100 custom made guitars from an high quality guitar manufacturer. Obviously there is no one-size-fits-all for guitars, but perhaps there are some designs or features that are better suited to, or more characteristic of, a specific theme or "purpose"? Lets say - still purely hypothetical - that the theme that was chosen was "campfire" and that the target price was sub-$500.

In other words - how should the specification for such a guitar be?

- solid Sitka Spruce top (cheapest of the spruces)
- laminate mahogany back & sides
- 00/concert/folk body size w/ single cutaway
- mahogany neck w/ rosewood or Richlite bound fingerboard
- 1.7" nut (Tusq nut, saddle, pins)
- no pickup needed (no electricity at a campfire, right?)
- fan-braced top, not X-braced (more lively, more resonant)
- 24.5" scale (familiar playability)
- maple for all body bindings & rosette

Finally ... a heat-embossed logo into the lower bout of the top, with a campfire graphic, and the name "Chordie Campfire" underneath it when held vertically.

This should be capable of being built at a $500 price tag, but still offer a decent quality, rich sounding guitar, that will feel "familiar" in most guitarist's hands.

I think you guys need to get in touch with GFS/Xavier.  Get a LOT deal price and then find someone to laser etch(wood-burn) that logo.  Or contact   or  CORT.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cylr2aG6zAw

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Tenement Funster wrote:
admin wrote:

To get the discussion rolling again, lets try to make it more targeted. Lets say - purely hypothetical - that Chordie was in the position of getting 100 custom made guitars from an high quality guitar manufacturer. Obviously there is no one-size-fits-all for guitars, but perhaps there are some designs or features that are better suited to, or more characteristic of, a specific theme or "purpose"? Lets say - still purely hypothetical - that the theme that was chosen was "campfire" and that the target price was sub-$500.

Finally ... a heat-embossed logo into the lower bout of the top, with a campfire graphic, and the name "Chordie Campfire" underneath it when held vertically.

This should be capable of being built at a $500 price tag, but still offer a decent quality, rich sounding guitar, that will feel "familiar" in most guitarist's hands.

NICE SPECS!  I especially like your idea for the graphic!!  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:
admin wrote:

NICE SPECS!  I especially like your idea for the graphic!!  wink

I can sure visualize that and it does sound like a good instrument!  I'm pleased with the inclusion of bindings (wood or laminate) as it not only protects the corners from dings, but is really needed to stabilize a solid top against cracking.  I would include a truss rod for future adjustments, and "consider" a "string through" saddle (no pins) so one could widen the nut slots and string to nylon easily and "tool-less" string changes for everybody.  Radius fretboard? Something like a 10-12" radius? 14 fret to the body in that short scale length.  I also agree no on-board electronics.... pick-ups are easily added later and there are good ones that don't need batteries (ask Amy about K&K).

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

30 (edited by Classical Guitar 2016-07-28 17:03:06)

I realize this is an older subject, but for me it would be a Yamaha CG192 with a cedar top. Current cost is at $500 and I have some students who have it and I have played and it is a great sounding classical guitar for the price. It also has an ebony fret board.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Great you picked up this thread and reminded me about it. The last couple of Months have been very hectic. I still have not decided on the free t-shirts I promised for the best suggestion. There are some strong candidates....:)

Just a note for all you Cedar fans..... the Species is not sustainable (at least in the US).  Even as proud as we are here in the Northwest about our Forestry Practices, mandatory re-planting, controlled harvests etc.. There are gaps and Cedar managed to slip through one of the "cracks".  There has not been or is presently any requirement to put back what you take, unlike Fir which has to have something like 10 seedlings put in the ground for every 1 cut, Cedar has been exempt from that.

Recently a local Cedar Mill closed down, and I asked the owners why..... and the answer is that there is no cedar to mill anymore.  Still some in Alaska, Washington, and Canada at considerably higher cost, but the Species has all been cut and soon will be in really short supply.

Just tossing that out there for consideration, as the cost and availability may change quickly.  Personally I'm a Spruce Fan.

33 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-07-29 00:41:18)

Great points about cedar, Doug.

It's hard to imagine a classical guitar sounding "right" with anything but a Red Cedar top. Spruce is a fair bit denser, and just doesn't resonate the same ... especially with nylon strings.

I don't know what standards we have in place for harvesting Western Red Cedar in Canada, but I do know there's an incredibly strong population of environmentally-aware people in British Columbia, who sometimes self-appoint themselves as Mother's Nature's guardians. It's not all bad, but some of it gets unrealistically silly. We saw some of the cedars in Stanley Park (Vancouver, BC) and several of them required all four of us to hold hands to encircle the trunk. One tree like that would make tops for thousands and thousands of guitars, so I can't imagine cedar guitar tops being the death knell of the Western Red Cedar. My guess is that the cedar in a single log home would keep a guitar factory like Simon & Patrick going for a long time, and cedar log homes are still very popular.

I have a long-time friend who runs a small logging / sawmill business (all spruce for studs & boards), and he's been cutting off the same 300 - 400 acres for at least 30 years. He only harvests the largest trees each year, so that the smaller trees get more light and grow faster. When explaining his habits he'll often say, "Why would I want to kill my own livelihood?" Wood can be harvested sensibly.

My Yamaha has been everywhere hot or cold it is still playing great

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Doug_Smith wrote:

Just a note for all you Cedar fans..... the Species is not sustainable (at least in the US).  Even as proud as we are here in the Northwest about our Forestry Practices, mandatory re-planting, controlled harvests etc.. There are gaps and Cedar managed to slip through one of the "cracks".  There has not been or is presently any requirement to put back what you take, unlike Fir which has to have something like 10 seedlings put in the ground for every 1 cut, Cedar has been exempt from that.

Recently a local Cedar Mill closed down, and I asked the owners why..... and the answer is that there is no cedar to mill anymore.  Still some in Alaska, Washington, and Canada at considerably higher cost, but the Species has all been cut and soon will be in really short supply.

Just tossing that out there for consideration, as the cost and availability may change quickly.  Personally I'm a Spruce Fan.

Stupid industry.  They don't do what they need to do to sustain themselves without the government requiring them to, and then they probably complain about government intervention.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

36 (edited by Classical Guitar 2016-07-30 09:38:34)

Cedar for guitars are from Western states as well as Alaska. Here is  some information about tree size:

Growing Conditions

The western red cedar prefers moist and humid conditions, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest, and likes partial shade to full sun. Growing in zones 5 to 9, the western red cedar also does best in moist, alkaline to acid soil. In the wild, the tree survives best on level surfaces. When grown on slopes, the tree is more vulnerable to damage from high winds due to its shallow roots.
Size

The western red cedar spreads to about 15 to 20 feet in width, with heights ranging from 50 feet up to 200 feet in the forests of the Pacific Northwest. The tree continues to grow for up to 300 years, according to Forests of Oregon and the King County's Native Plant Guide.
Range

The western red cedar is a low-maintenance tree once established. Its normal growing range extends from the northern coastline of California and up into the Pacific Northwest of Oregon and Washington state and ranges as far inland as western Montana.

There is far more cedar used for siding on homes  and roofs than used in guitars.

Yes the point that more is used in Homes than Musical Instruments is valid.... There isn't enough left to use (even in the lower grades) for the more common construction industry.  That was what I was calling attention to.  Proportionally, Instrument grade is a very small percentage of the wood harvested and there is no more to harvest, so that supply is impacted as well.  The Mills around these parts waste next to none, even the sawdust and shavings is pressed into boards for shelving, drawer boxes and closet-lining panels.

In a couple hundred years that which has been naturally propagated will be around and available IF we as a Species are still here to make use of it.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

The Big Baby Taylor is the perfect campfire guitar. This 3/4 size guitar has an incredibly bright sound that pitches sound out nice and clear, not muddy like other guitars at a similar price point.

Believe - Project - Connect

39 (edited by Classical Guitar 2016-08-15 20:34:49)

It is not how much you pay for a classical guitar if how it is made suites your style and meets your requirements. If you like solid tops and a certain type fret board meaning either ebony or rosewood then fill your requirements,  learn to play what you pick to the fullest.

WOW! I haven't been to this site in a long time.. I love the new look. As far as camp fire guitars go, I have an Ibanez jumbo acoustic that booms sound. Great for the unplugged strummer..

Welcome back.  and check out song of the month , its a new area.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

I don't have a lot of experience with a lot of guitar varieties. The other night my wife and I went to eat at our local senior center, mainly because there was going to be live entertainment there. A middle-aged lady came down from over 70 miles away to play for our (me too) seniors. She covered maybe 15 older songs, mostly country variety. Her guitar playing consisted mostly of strumming open chords with a few notes selected between, just enough to make the guitar interesting. Of course, she had a wonderful strong alto vocal presentation, which was what most of the audience fixed on. But because I play "at" guitar, I watched her play. She had a Taylor, though I don't know which model, but she told us that she saved for quite a long time, even for the used one that she finally purchased. She had to take it to a luthier in Des Moines to have the first six frets replaced, and then the guitar set up. She told me that she was using Elixer strings, which is what I use on my 12, though I use D'Addario thins on my six. I listened closely and found that my Teton sounds very close to the full sound that she presented with a much more expensive guitar. I haven't taken the trouble to try a variety of string sets on my Teton, simply because I cant afford it and spend my time practicing, performing at retirement communities, and working on music in some manner. I won't put down, so to speak, the Taylor brand at all. I've heard some of the most expensive acoustics on the market, and they sound, if only just slightly, better than her Taylor. I think a lot of it has to do with the sound capture, whether it be the electrics, the pedals, used or not, and the physical surroundings and how they capture true sound. I came home from that show and grabbed my Teton STG105CENT and worked a few licks, actually thinking about this thread. Laptop blues have kept me from talking about this. My Teton is a smaller-bodied cutaway with a mere 20 frets, but careful strumming and picking produces a full sound, whether played acoustically or amplified with its Fishman electrics. I purchased it locally brand new, and upon registration, found that it's built in Montana. Woo-Hoo. Enough said...

jcellini wrote:

WOW! I haven't been to this site in a long time.. I love the new look. As far as camp fire guitars go, I have an Ibanez jumbo acoustic that booms sound. Great for the unplugged strummer..

Welcome back.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

beamer wrote:

Thanks, where can I find "song of the month?"

jcellini wrote:
beamer wrote:

Thanks, where can I find "song of the month?"

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=31429  smile

What a cool topic!

There is a video on here https://www.thetbank.com/the-lowdown/be … c-guitars/ of a guy playing a Bourgeois Banjo Killer that I think would be awesome for playing a few songs around a campfire, the sound the guy gets out of it is amazing

47 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-06-08 18:13:47)

That's a fine sounding guitar, Guy!

It's got that unmistakable full sound of a solid wood Spruce - Mahogany instrument. Bourgeois has several models in the "Banjo Killer" series, and most of them seem to be in the $4,000 + price range. Don't know if they have entry-priced versions, but that would more expensive than a clumsy guy like me sad would want to take camping.

whenever I am free then busy with my favorite music.

I have the perfect campfire guitar, it is my Sigma 0018 which is the 12 fret guitar with some really good sound. I bought this about two years ago for around the $500.00 area and it's been a good player for me. Price is right, not concerned about taking it outside, and it's a good travelling companion.

Back to the  idea of the specs for a "Chordie camp fire" guitar.  has anyone taken it further than the idea stage?  I think in one post on here I mentioned maybe contacting Guitarfetish or Rhondo directly and running a bulk order past them, I do know a guy who can do 3D graphics and ill bet they would look burned in, cheaper than a lazer or actual wood burning.Or he could produce the emblems that are adhesive and will cover any manufacture  logo. (my friend and guitar teacher created an Ibanezertone by placing the Ibanez sticker over the Slvertone emblem, it was pretty cool)
The guitars from GFS (the Xaviere line) are well built and sound very good.  Maybe we can ask them to ship with out the logo and crest on them so that we can have our own put on them OR we can just put our logo on the bottom right of the face.  For the ceder fans there is this model http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV150S--Sol … 4270.html,

The price is right. lets face it we are talking about a camping guitar, not a concert guitar.

There is also Rhondo. they have a travel guitar with truss rod. its here and looks pretty impressive, I think the logo can be covered or removed by someone with the right skill set.  if its a sticker, it can be removed easily enough. http://www.rondomusic.com/trav1.html   (watch the vid for this) and as i said, we can always burn in a logo on the front bottom face also.
Something to get thinking about again...

Cheers,
The Metalizer