Topic: Guitars in the boot

Gidday
On a recent post MKM mentioned how we in different countries have a different take on words.
As my explanation of DAG went down so well.
thought i`d try another one on you `guitars in the boot`
where do u think the guitar is?
also many years ago our top country singer went to America,he had to change his name though.
his name was John Hore

The King Of Audio Torture

Re: Guitars in the boot

easybeat wrote:

The "trunk". The cargo space at the back end of the car.

UBJ
congratulations you are the winner!
If u drop by i`ll give you your prize.
What is bonnet then clever clogs?

Another Kiwi way of saying Ive Got Me  Guitar In The Boot,  is I ve Got My  Gat in the back.

The Bonnet should then be the hood over the engine.... as for Gat in the Back, are you headed for a jam session or a Gunfight?  Old American slang used Gat to indicate a side-arm.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

6 (edited by Peatle Jville 2016-08-22 06:45:59)

I better not say Gat in the back  to an American Cop if I ever get pulled up over there. Still I supose the slang term axe for guitar used around the world might sound strange if you say I got my axe in the Boot. I think maybe the word Gat in NZ came about through our pronouncation of guitar sounding a bit like Gat Tar to some. If I was to say I have got an Old Bomb In NZ that still goes it might not go down to well if I am  talking to American authorities. It can still  do the Ton and over no sweat. Translation I have an old car that car  can still go over 100. We also refer to old cars as Dungers.

Is that anything like " dunny?" Which is Ozzy for toilet.

Obviously bonnet and boot mean the same in GB and NZ and Ozzy too, but hood in UK is the roof on a car.
BTW I'd  never put my princess in the boot, like Eric Clapton, she gets her own seat even if I have to leave the wife or one of the kids behind....ha, ha

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Hmmm... don't talk about your car if you're in an airport.  "I've got a bomb that can do over a ton" sounds like the type of thing that would make you miss a flight and have all your luggage rummaged through, along with a full cavity body search.  LOL! 

I believe that "restroom" was a phrase that Roger found odd here.  I can't think now of some of the other phrases that we used that Roger thought were amusing, or confusing.  Maybe he will recall some.  Though, we did introduce him to Root Beer and Cream Soda (neither is alcoholic, both are sweet carbonated drinks).  He did have a heck of a time getting a drink without ice in it though.  Pretty much everything except for juice, milk, and beer is served with ice in the glass here.  wink  I did learn about the bonnet and the boot while he was here.  I believe you also call a water fountain a "bubbler" - or they do in the UK.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:

Though, we did introduce him to Root Beer and Cream Soda (neither is alcoholic, both are sweet carbonated drinks).

I am pleased to announce that they (whoever "they" is) are making alcoholic Root Beer and Cream Soda and both are amazing.

These are my favorites but there are a few brands.
http://smalltownbrewery.com/our-beers/nyfrb/
http://smalltownbrewery.com/our-beers/nyfvca/

sorry to hijack the thread. wink

easybeat wrote:

Gidday
On a recent post MKM mentioned how we in different countries have a different take on words.
As my explanation of DAG went down so well.
also many years ago our top country singer went to America,he had to change his name though.
his name was John Hore

john Hore,I would change my name too.  If you ever have your cell phone in your back pocket and it makes a call that is called a Booty Call.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

My wife's from England, and if we happen to be watching "Coronation Street" together, I often need her to translate expressions. Here in Eastern Canada, we have a province called Newfoundland (locally pronounced Newf'nland) where there's a whole vocabulary of familiar & unfamiliar terms, but all pronounced in a way that is almost foreign to anyone outside of the province. Here's a really fun song that illustrates it nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebUt-OFR0vE

Tenement Funster wrote:

My wife's from England, and if we happen to be watching "Coronation Street" together, I often need her to translate expressions. Here in Eastern Canada, we have a province called Newfoundland (locally pronounced Newf'nland) where there's a whole vocabulary of familiar & unfamiliar terms, but all pronounced in a way that is almost foreign to anyone outside of the province. Here's a really fun song that illustrates it nicely:

almost sounds like a different language.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Here`s my take on Kiwi sayings
Hope you can work most of it out?
https://soundcloud.com/rough-as-gut/shell-be-right

Tenement Funster wrote:

I'm also married to a furriner, and get the translation duties quite often.

"What's yer man doin' over there?  Havin' a goo?"

* blank stares *

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Marrying into a Greek Romanian family has had some fun comunication moments for me. There are people here in New Zealand who watch Coronation Street religously and talk about the characters on that show as if they are perople from the neighbourhood. My favourite Brit Show in recent years was Last Of The Summer Wine.

Appalachians have some interesting phrases, though it's not foreign to America. 

"Red up" means to tidy an area.
"I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw a bull by the tail."
"Mad enough to spit cotton."
"If it was a snake, it'd have bitten you."
When something is common, "You can't swing a dead cat without hitting" it. 
Dead cats come in to play when being innovative too, "There's more than one way to skin a cat."  I hope it's dead anyway.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Lovin' this thread!  Here's a few favorite expressions from my late-grandfather:

Meat that's hard to chew is "tougher than a boiled owl".

Good friends are "closer than bark to a tree".

A very homely person is "a two-bagger" (in case one blows off)

Another homely person "would make a freight train take a dirt road".

A clueless person "hasn't got both oars in the water".

Another clueless person "doesn't know if it's Tuesday or August".

On a good day, he'd say "If I was any better, I couldn't stand it."

Crooked carpentry was built by "a guy who used a banana for a straight edge".

Someone who complains a lot "he barked until he was hoarse".

All of these things add color to a conversation, and Grampie could tell a story / yarn better than anyone I've ever known.

18 (edited by dino48 2016-08-25 16:33:03)

How about this old one A couple beers short of a 6 pack.

some welsh ones are called for;

my mother once told me; you come home dead and i'll kill you, (not as nasty as it sounds....honest)

if you called someone a "beaut" up what everyone knows as "the valleys" it would be accepted as a term of endearment, 50 miles away (here in llanelli, my home town) it would be an insult!

( a dirty one) ...i wouldn't make love to her with yours and there's nothing wrong with mine (cleaned up version)

don't blame me i wasn't there and if i was i didn't see anything anyway (usually said to coppers)

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

As for competence - just so many phrases.

"Not the sharpest knife in the drawer..." also works as "Not the sharpest tool in the shed..."
"Elevator doesn't reach the top floor..."
"Sharp as a bowling ball..."
"Dipstick doesn't reach the oil..."
"A few ounces short of a pound..."
"A couple eggs short of a dozen..."

As for appearance,
"He/She resembles the south end of a north bound mule."
"Ugly (or homely) as a mud fence."

In the south, it's all summed up with "Bless her/his heart."

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

A very local one. Eyup me duck. (Hello)

Thick as two short planks

Zurf wrote:

As for competence - just so many phrases.

"A few ounces short of a pound..."
"A couple eggs short of a dozen..."

"A few fries short of a Happy Meal"

`Kick it in the guts trev`
`yeah right`

24 (edited by mekidsmom 2016-08-26 11:49:03)

Eyup me duck.  -- Roger told me that one, I am still lost!  LOL!

BGD - I've tried the "not your father's rootbeer" - it wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't buy it on purpose LOL!  I'd rather Jack n Coke.  wink

Another saying,
"not the sharpest tack in the box"

I can think of more, but those coming to mind this morning are not appropriate for Chordie. wink

*edit for a typo

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Someone not so clever -"As thick as two short planks"
Someone who is silly - "As daft as a brush"
Someone very slim - "Like a beanpole"
Someone who is poor - "Hasn't got two ha'pence to rub together" ( ha'pence = half a penny)

"Do, or do not; there is no try"