Topic: Nylon string guitars

I've played  steel string guitar,  mostly with a flat pick, for years.  But at home,  by my easy chair,  I  have a cheap nylon string guitar  that I just noodle around and play at fingerpicking. It just occurred to me that I sshouldstart performing this style.  But I know very little about the style or nylon string guitars.

Any advice? I play a Gibson acoustic Hummingbird and a Les Paul,  so II'd like to get something of good quality but nottoo expensive.  Is there a sweet spot for nylon string guitars?

Re: Nylon string guitars

There is a discussion thread in another section:   http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic. … 73#p175873
That you might find helpful (especially when it gets a few down into the specifics of medium priced Nylon Strung Guitars) from the viewpoint of another member with good background in the style and sound.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

3 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-08-08 08:02:52)

Your Gibson Hummingbird is a great guitar to learn / practice finger-style playing on. There's a whole genre of guitarists that play a steel-string acoustic with their fingers, and you can see some of them in a weekly feature on Chordie called "Tuesday's Flying Fingers" (http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=29533). Mark Knopfler (formerly of Dire Straits) plays both acoustic and electric in this manner, so you may not need to buy another guitar at all.

Some decent quality nylon-string acoustics, at an entry-level price, are made by companies like Yamaha, Alvarez, and La Patrie to name just a few. At the minimum, I would recommend something with a solid cedar top, to get that nice warm sound that nylon strings produce. I hope this helps.

4 (edited by Classical Guitar 2016-08-08 10:45:33)

I am sorry I missed this post. For sound and price I would suggest two classical guitars for finger picking. The best low cost and easy to play with nylon strings is a Yamaha C40. It has always been a well made low cost. It has a laminated top although it is very thin and does project. For a solid top in either cedar or spruce the Yamaha CG142 is a move up and a reasonable price. There are some other brands but from what I have seen with students the Yamaha for the prices of these are better made have the sound of a more expensive guitar.

With a classical guitar it does take some time for the strings to settle in because they will stretch some. With both of these when you need to buy new stings D'Addario EJ45 Pro-Arte Normal Tension Classical Guitar Strings are very good.

For both of the guitars mentioned the best price I have seen is from Guitar Center, and if you do not have one close by buying directly from their warehouse is easy and they should not charge for delivery.

If you have any questions I will check this post and answer them. I honestly do not know much about steel steel string guitars, though I do know classical guitars. Both of the ones I mentioned are the traditional size of guitars. If you like either of them and get good finger picking you can always move up to a more expensive model when you want.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

I have a Yamaha and a Takamine.    I love them both but the Takimine F312 sound is better.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I thought the Takimine F312 was a steel string guitar.  In his original post mr_guitar_man was talking about Nylon String Guitars.

I have played a Takimine C132S and for it just seemed off. The fret spacing was different and not as high as others.  When I played it was at a local music store so the setup should have been right.

Classical Guitar wrote:

I thought the Takimine F312 was a steel string guitar.  In his original post mr_guitar_man was talking about Nylon String Guitars.

I have played a Takimine C132S and for it just seemed off. The fret spacing was different and not as high as others.  When I played it was at a local music store so the setup should have been right.

I don't really know I bought it at a garage sale for twenty dollars and it sounds good with both kinds of strings.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:
Classical Guitar wrote:

I don't really know I bought it at a garage sale for twenty dollars and it sounds good with both kinds of strings.

I think it's about time we heard from our friend dino48 with whatever strings he's got.

Dino, you are one of the most LOVED of all of us! Take a bow and play one for us! Please!

Your Friend (who will always be grateful to you)

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

9 (edited by Classical Guitar 2016-08-09 09:46:26)

I honestly did not intent to offend anyone, and if I did I apologize. 

I have friend who bought a Takimine F312  years ago before it was discontinued and his came with steel strings is the only reason I know that guitar and , I taught how to play.

Nah CG - I don't think you offended anyone at all!  smile  Dino probably just has nylon strings on the guitar.  I know you can do that - but NEVER put steel on a classical because the guitar can't handle the higher tension of the steel strings.  Makes sense.  Yeah, I think the OP was looking specifically for information on guitars made as classical guitars.  It is good to know though, that you can put nylons on a steel string guitar... if you're just looking for the sound. 

I FINALLY got my classical guitar back from my brother.  I was looking forward to playing it, however my daughter recently decided she needs a Uke.  So she took the low E and A strings off and stole my capo to make the classical sound and play like a Uke.  hmm  Guess I need to now buy a Uke if I want my Classical back again!  LOL!  I only had it back for 2 days!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom thank you, and thank you for what you do.

12 (edited by dino48 2016-08-09 18:01:39)

Strummerboy Bill wrote:
dino48 wrote:
Classical Guitar wrote:

I think it's about time we heard from our friend dino48 with whatever strings he's got.

Dino, you are one of the most LOVED of all of us! Take a bow and play one for us! Please!

Your Friend (who will always be grateful to you)

Bill

Thanks for the kudo's Bill I do not know how too use the software too get things here.I  repeat I CANNOT SING AT ALL!. I can get a picture here if someone else does it for me.

13 (edited by john bange 2017-02-01 05:32:12)

this is an interesting topic with many informed responses.  I would just add that "nylon string guitar" covers  more than traditional classical guitar.  the many fine examples of "cross-over nylon string guitars" are a totally different instruments and lend themselves to lots of different styles of play and would seem to be closer to the steel string feel.
I play a Martin, and a Taylor with a radiused fretboard and a 1 7/8 wide nut and an Ovation with a flat fretboard and 1 7/8 nut.  I have owned a few other brands with the same features...cordoba, pono  I have also had some very nice classical guitars with a flat fretboard and a 2" nut.  the biggest difference in my mind is the radius.  I don't use picks but some do.  I think it would be easier with the radius.
Also, you are more likely to find an onboard pick-up on a crossover. 
I switched easily from my nylon 6 string to my baritone 12 string largely because both have the same(almost) radius and neck width.
I doubt if the author would find a nylon string with the same neck width as his hummingbird but a radius would make the transition easier.
I play all kinds of music  on my nylon strings.

Kerry Char baritone uke, Kinnard baritone uke, Kelali baritone uke, Kamaka baritone uke
Burke baritone uke, Martin B51 baritone uke, Primrose baritone uke,
Pono Bn-3-4 tenor guitar, Pono Bn8-1 8string tenor guitar, Republic Hwy49 tenor resonator guitar
Hoyt/Ode custom model33-19t  tenor banjo, Hoyt custom 10"maple baritone banjolele