1 (edited by Classical Guitar 2016-10-20 20:27:25)

Topic: How Much Do You Practice

How much do you play each day? How long do you play or practice each day?  Do you skip days between playing?

I try to play at least  2 hours a day and 3 hours or longer is more normal for me.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Re: How Much Do You Practice

I do about thirty to forty minites a day. Y ou look like you practice a lot! I only miss a day when I hurt from arthritis.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

None.

Or...hardly ever. 

I bang out songs loudly and sing badly. 

As far as practicing scales - maybe ten minutes at a time every once in a while.  As soon as a noise comes out of my guitar, my family comes to burst down my office door to ask me to do stuff for them because - and I quote - "You're not doing anything."

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I practice more  because of playing classical  music and if do not practice my timing , finger spread ,and reach can suffer. The only time I take time off is 2 to 3 days before I play a concert and that is to rest my hands. I also like to play some 60's, 70's, and 80''s music and that is to sing , relax, and just enjoy it.

The Acoustic sits here beside my desk on a stand and gets used in short bursts throughout the day.... I'll guess an hour or so total.  Then later in the evening when I'm logged into Chordie doing "that Moderator thing", I'll play fairly steady (breaking for Spam Slammin') for between 3-5 hours most every day.  My electric gets plugged in at least once a month on a weekend usually, and we try to "play with others" just to keep my hand in it.  There are good days and bad days (like Dino mentioned, things get stiff & sore), but the music improves my mood on these dark, long, rainy Northwest Winters.

I have to wonder if there is a correlation between Latitude and the number of really talented folks coming out of the woodwork from places like Seattle, Toronto and such?  Cold months getting folks sitting around the woodstove and entertaining themselves, while the Power is out and it's too nasty to go anywhere.....

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

im like Zurf, I just grab and go.  Sometimes I sit with YOU TUBE and try to play along with Marty Shwartz or PappaStach.  mainly pick a song and go and after some acustic I have to crank up.  (i am the Metalizer)

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Depends on what kind of day I've had. Last week was grueling. I don't think the guitar left it's case all week. This week wasn't much better. I had it out a couple nights but only for 10-15 minutes and all I really did was practice some, between chords bass runs.

When winter starts setting in and the work load lightens up, I'll spend a couple hours a night working on songs and scales.

couple of hours...each morning when I get up.  I'll go over a set or a gig song list, switching back and forth from 6 and 12 string and banjo.  I'm retired and the only thing close to work I have is the band and the music...keeps me young...keeps my hands limber and pain free.

Kerry Char baritone uke, Kinnard baritone uke, Kelali baritone uke, Kamaka baritone uke
Burke baritone uke, Martin B51 baritone uke, Primrose baritone uke,
Pono Bn-3-4 tenor guitar, Pono Bn8-1 8string tenor guitar, Republic Hwy49 tenor resonator guitar
Hoyt/Ode custom model33-19t  tenor banjo, Hoyt custom 10"maple baritone banjolele

9 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-10-21 07:59:13)

It varies each day, depending on obligations. Some days it might be an hour, other days it might be two. I've been devoting more time to working out chord structures using the piano lately, and also learning some fingerstyle techniques. I'll usually finish off a practice session playing a few favorites, just to keep them fluid.

I usually have a little strum while waiting for the wife to get ready to go out, so it could be quite a while!

I also like to have a little strum most days, always on the acoustic very rarely on the electric which won't be plugged in.

I try and practice scales and any instrumentals I do in my shows also solo's which still won't be that good as I'm not very inventive.

The old arthritis does affect most of my body but playing 6,12 and bass regularly seems to keep my fingers nimble

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I don't practice as much as I would have liked to, age and injuries have kept me down for way to long, but it's getting better. The desire is strong so it keeps me going forward, with the good days outnumbering the bad days.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

bluejeep wrote:

I don't practice as much as I would have liked to, age and injuries have kept me down for way to long, but it's getting better. The desire is strong so it keeps me going forward, with the good days outnumbering the bad days.

Good to see you back Bluejeep, it's been awhile hearing from you too.  We sometimes worry about our "Eastern Cousins" especially with all the foul weather of late.
Keep the good days outnumberin' the bad !

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I think for me it depends on my mood but if there is a specific song or a lead solo for the band I play with I am relentless and keep at it till my brain is numb I have had some sessions go over 10 hours 2 or three days in a row I am currently working on Sultans of swing, I don't have to tell you but trust me there is a whole lot going on in this song that requires precise execution so I keep at it till I am satisfied and I think that is what it all comes down to for everyone, you have to set your own standards.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

I think for me it depends on my mood but if there is a specific song or a lead solo for the band I play with I am relentless and keep at it till my brain is numb I have had some sessions go over 10 hours 2 or three days in a row I am currently working on Sultans of swing, I don't have to tell you but trust me there is a whole lot going on in this song that requires precise execution so I keep at it till I am satisfied and I think that is what it all comes down to for everyone, you have to set your own standards.

Russ I am really looking forward to Sultans of swing being a big fan if Mark Knofflers playing. Money for nothing is one of my favorite tunes that they do.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Sometimes it's ten , minutes,  sometimes two hours, depending on home or work commitments .I like to pick one of the acoustics up every day. Sometimes it's a sixer, sometimes the twelver, sometimes the bouzouki,  sometimes the uke. The electric only comes out when I have the house to myself and I can blow the windows out. As long as I get a daily fix I'm easily pleased.

Thick as two short planks

Really I  haven't practiced guitar seriously for years. I play almost every day for my enjoyment. I only get serious if I've got some lead to play on a recording then I guess I practice a lot to get it right.
I just got to many other things in life to get bogged down with guitar practice every day.

Thank you every one who responded to how much you practice. It is interesting the difference in each members practice habits and why.

Thank you for taking the time.

18 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-10-29 18:33:01)

Hey, Classical, I don't remember if I have ever welcomed you here (the dementia robs me of my memory more often these days), but if I haven't done so, I am doing it now.  And since you play classical, I for one would like you to tell me what price a good "starter" classical would cost and the brand name. By that I don't mean a "reduced size", I want the full sound of those nylon strings and my fingers are very thick so I need that wider fret board. In other words "Teach me something!" smile Also, are you on YouTube?

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

And to answer your question: Not very much I'm afraid - maybe once a month and maybe I shouldn't even be posting here, because I'm a way better drummer (I play "time") than guitarist and the major portion of my time is spent taking care of my wife, known as Dondra and alternatively as "She Who Must Be Obeyed". When I do play it's through my computer with a "teaching game" called Rocksmith 2014 on my Les Paul Studio - Epiphone version.

Thanks for the question and again, welcome!

Bil

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

20 (edited by Classical Guitar 2016-11-04 14:55:07)

Strummerboy Bill  the price and brand depends on if you want to change to classical for the fret board size or if you want to change to one. Personally I had 7 luthier made classical guitars and after playing and then buying Yamaha CG192 both in cedar and in spuce, I finally sold my 7 hand made guitars to a dealer. I now have 6 CG192 three in cedar and 3 in spruce.

As far as feel and sound and after playing several brands I like the feel of Yamaha better than others. To me they feel and sound the best. So I like the CG guitars. For starters the  CG142 in cedar is a full size guitar that feels great to play and will have a very mellow sound. When it comes time to change strings I have used D'Addario EJ45 Pro-Arte normal tension for a very long time. You will find it will take 4 to 5 days for new strings to stretch and hold tune and that is the trade off for a neck size that make easier to play.

When you are ready to buy one send me a personal message and I can suggest two places to order it from that have great prices.

21 (edited by john bange 2016-11-04 15:57:32)

I guess the terms practice and/or play for enjoyment melt together when I respond to this thread.  I pick up some of my instruments for about 2 hours every morning.  I have no real goal in mind, I just like to play in the mornings.

Kerry Char baritone uke, Kinnard baritone uke, Kelali baritone uke, Kamaka baritone uke
Pono Bn-3-4 tenor guitar, Pono Bn8-1 8string tenor guitar, Republic Hwy49 tenor resonator guitar
Hoyt/Ode custom model33-19t  tenor banjo, Hoyt custom 10"maple baritone banjolele

Classsical Guitar,

Thanks for your response. I don't know if this makes sense, but I'd like the option to play both a standard and classical neck. I certainly will get back with you once I make my decision.

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Bill - Get you a Guild if you can. 

I learned first on a Yamaha classical.  Then I moved to a Yamaha folk steel string guitar.  You get used to it either way pretty quick, actually.  The reason I suggest Guild is that the neck is kind of flat like a classical and just a tiny bit wider than a standard steel string.   Pretty much, it's a monster guitbox that crosses between a classical and a Fender blastocaster with grace and aplomb.  Paint it blue, and you've got everything you could ever hope for.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf,

I have always loved the guild look AND sound when I have heard it played, and you're right - that large body is just aesthetic as it can be. I'll see what I can find, try 'em all out and see what happens with the "love factor". smile I especially like the idea of painting it blue, my friend! smile

Thanks as always for your help!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

my 6 string has a 1 7/8th width nut.  I find that with this neck, I can bounce around between my 12 string (1 13/16th) and my banjos without too much string spacing shock.  I have a Ovation classical with a 2" nut.  A few minutes with it and jumping to another takes some adjustment.  It's also the flat fret board on the Ovation that effects me.