1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-11-13 05:51:17)

Topic: Drummers And Guitarists: It's Time To Talk

First, I realize I'm on a site dedicated to "The Strings" (forgive me that name, but every band I have played for I called them either "Strings" or "Percussion") ...... but I need to say something.

Speaking for the rest of us drummers/percussionists, we think it's great that y'all can play your six-strings and "slap" the body of your guitar to make it sound like you have a drummer backing you up. Really it's great you can do that, and for a while I thought it was nice, but now.....

....you guys are starting to get on this drummer's last nerve. smile

We drummers already are being replaced by "drum machines", "electronic drums" and drums available for download with various music programs one can purchase on eBay.

Back in the 60's, when I was just a little boy of 12 playing a parade drum in a high school marching band, along came The Beatles and I felt it incumbent on me to grow out my hair and beg my Dad to buy me a drum kit: My Ludwigs.

After that and for many years thereafter, we drummers were depended on to play "time", look nice and stay behind the band and we were okay with that....

But now?

We got these "hot-shot git-tar players" who think it's just sooooo wonderful they can provide a "thump" on the body of that Six-String every once in a while during a song. Cool, but we can do that for you as well and give you the time you need to play some really great stuff on your GIT-TAR, dammit!

So, I am here to let you know we appreciate the fact you can do that stupid "thumping", but it isn't necessary!!!!

That's why you have us!

So just stop it! We learned long and hard to get our rudiments down and we don't need you to do it for us. Matter of fact, we drummers doubt if y'all even know what rudiments are or how many of them a drummer has to know!
============================
PLEASE MY FRIENDS. -------

The above is just a little satirical piece and is not meant to hurt anyone here, okay? Y'all know I now play guitar (or try to) and wouldn't EVER hurt any of my precious friends!

Always

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Drummers And Guitarists: It's Time To Talk

No worries from this quarter Buddy!  I really miss having a drummer around to keep me straight!  Actually I did try it once or twice, and Mark took the sticks away from me out of disgust..... something about the only thing I can do with wood is make a descent campfire.  wink

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

You can never make natural conecting percussion out of robots or mechanical beats. To me a real drummer gives a song  its heart beat. Only humans can feel music machines don't do that.

Here's my guy. My HERO, Gene Krupa, but before you click on this link< I would like you all to consider that Gene was not only a "drummer". He knew what was needed with the song being played, and so you will see him providing "percussion" before he "turns loose". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lwQHY-M5GU

Again. I know this - my beloved musical site - is about guitars, so I won't post anything else about that, but man! I sure did like playing my drums behind whatever great bass player was with us!

Just the point of view from behind that bass drum and all those cymbals!

We're here and when that "groove" grabs, it grabs us too! smile

Love Y'all

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Bill, as your long term friend and sometime collaborator, I agree with all you said, but I want to expand on a few things; firstly I've always looked at Chordie as a musicians site not just string twangers union. Secondly and probably most importantly, when I started out as a solo ( when Elvis clocked out ) all the clubs I played at had an organist and drummer, most were OK some were rubbish. As the 70s became the 80s clubs found they couldn't afford an artist and backing music, so we had to resort to the hated drum machine, then backing tapes which cost a fortune and inevitably stretched and sounded awful.

I have noticed on a more happy note that groups are having a resurgence locally, I've seen 2 bands in the last month and they seem to be getting a good turn out. Funny thing is they all seem to be crumblies my age 65 or older....rock on Tommy

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Hey there "Drummer Boy Bill" (hee hee).  I wish I had a drummer sometimes so I did t have to fake the percussion with string chops at times.  I even bought two cajones for the people in my life that wanted them, but they prefer their strings anyway!  Wish you were closer to lay down a beat for me!

Also, there's a question for you over in the November Featured song of the month thread. Drop in when you get a chance and let me know!  I may have to send an email too. wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

7 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-11-13 17:57:30)

You bought..... two cojones?????  But I thought Jim.........

Oh, wait!

Never mind smile smile

============

Sorry, but I think you know by now there's no way I was gonna let that one get by me, right? smile smile smile

Your Pal (AND  FAN!!!!!)

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Just figure out how to put a neck on your trap set.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Actually, for a time i was playing bass in a small group in which the rhythm guitarists each had jobs that kept them traveling.  So sometimes we'd have one, and sometimes the other.  Well, the other and I really clicked and thought the drummer was the son of a friend of the other and I, he fell right in with our groove.  We would frequently have our lead singer say, "Hey, let's play these three songs today," about 45 minutes before lights up.  Though none of us had heard of the songs, we'd ask "fast or slow, and what kind of beat?"  We'd work it out and be performing for a couple hundred folks songs that we had never heard before, and had never heard a review tape, but we'd be rock solid on the groove.  Those days were always a treat.  I can't think of anything that'd put a smile on my face better than bass, rhythm, and drums really clicking.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

One funny story about that band.  We had one of those "Let's play this song" deals, and while most of the songs were pop-ish songs, or kind of slow whiny rock songs, she (lead singer) gave us a chord chart with a I - IV - I - V style song in 4/4 in G.  Well, I used to play classical bass when I had sheet music, but when I moved to electric I had forgotten how to read music and so just figured it out listening to Chicago Blues songs, which are often I - IV - I - V and often in G.  So we get into this song, which is pretty upbeat and I ripped out some passes and bass lines I remembered from those basement sessions listening to Magic Sam and Junior Wells.  The lead guitarist turned and looked at me and said, "What the Hell was THAT!?  Where has that been?"  "I said, it was a blues in G.  I knew what to do with it."  Then he declared, "From now on, we play everything in G!"

Sounds like we had similar beginnings Bill.  I also started playing drums when I was 12 years old in Jr. High School.  My folks were pretty poor and drums were the only instruments that parents didn't need to purchase as they were provided by the school.  Through practice, I got pretty good and when I moved up to High School I was the "first chair" drummer much to the chagrin of the upper classmen who were drummers.  I was picked for the "all county" band and received a few accolades so our band director talked my parents into buying me a set of Ludwigs so I could play in the jazz band and looking back they sacrificed quite a bit so I could play.  My heroes were Joe Morello and Ed Thigpen but like you, that changed after the Beatles made their appearance in the US.  I played drums in a rock band in high school that played local high school dances etc and also with a 17-piece "Big Band" that played at country club and Elks dances, etc. I also taught rudimental drumming and had 14 students.

But then one of those "life changing" events happened.  After I graduated from high school, a couple of guys that had graduated a few years ahead of me and were pretty good guitar and bass players,  had spent some time in Nashville doing studio work.  They returned to my home town and were wanting to put a country band together and needed a drummer.  I thought I was too "kool" to play country music so in an effort to change my mind they took me to a country/bluegrass festival hoping that I'd like the music and have a change of heart.  What happened is I didn't care a lot for the country bands but the bluegrass pickers blew me away.  Maybe it was music that appealed to my Appalachian roots, but regardless - I was hooked!  However, as you know, the genre does not use drums but rather a heavy bass line to keep the beat steady.  A changed man, I quit playing with the bands I was in and few months later sold my drums.  It was several years later I finally tried to learn how to "mash the wires" on an acoustic.  I've never been good enough to play bluegrass very well but there's still no other style of music that gets my feet tapping.  Its now been over 45 years since I've picked up a drumstick.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

BILL,
Ok you know this is coming from the Metalizer, so keep in mind, I am not sure which thump you are referring to, but in my kind of heavy rock (really getting going in the 80s and fwd) speed metal is very attached to the drums.  My youngest showed me this just last night, I have to admit that this band had to grow on me, but it is the drummer  and guitarist from LAMB OF GOD.   here they work hand in hand.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw7zYploBLc
hope you like it (no screaming vocals).

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Bill ................ if only we all had our own personal drummer with kit on hand ............. i would be ALL FOR IT!!!!!!  smile 

http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_4580.gif

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan