1 (edited by mekidsmom 2016-11-07 09:22:39)

Topic: November 2016 FSOTM - Friends in low Places - Hide your love away

Joe placed your names in a box and picked ONE person's name from the box!  DINO was the winner and this month he has chosen the song Friends in Low Places for the Featured Song of the Month!

From Wikipedia:  ""Friends in Low Places" is a song performed by American country pop artist Garth Brooks. It was released in August 1990 as the first single from his album No Fences. The song spent four weeks at number one on the Hot Country Songs, and won both the Academy of Country Music and Country Music Association awards for 1990 Single of the Year."

Youtube link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvCgSqPZ4EM

ALL the song suggestions previously made in other months that were NOT chosen have been compiled into a list, and we chose one of those songs as the second song to feature as the second Song of The Month! 

You've Got to Hide Your Love Away was chosen from the list of previous suggestions to go along with Friends in Low Places!
This is a Beatles song from 1965 and has been covered by Eddie Vedder, The Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, Oasis, The Kentucky Headhunters, Waylon Jennings, Joe Cocker, Elvis Costello, and others! 

I wasn't able to find a link to an actual Beatles recording of this song.  sad  So, here's The Silkie (The Beatles assisted with the recording of their cover, according to Wikipedia, " Lennon produced, McCartney played the guitar and Harrison kept time by tapping his guitar and also playing the tambourine"):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNyy00Hjl2g
And here's Eddie Vedder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jPIB8yQoC4

This post has been edited to add the 2nd song of the month for November.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: November 2016 FSOTM - Friends in low Places - Hide your love away

Congratulations Dino on winning November`s FSOTM.    I have just listened to the youtube link of this song as I didn`t know the song and I like it, good choice smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Thank you Jandle,I think I will skip being here for awile as I have already won a couple of times,that will give someone else a chance too win.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Dino - there were only three people's names to pull from the hat last month!  That left some pretty good odds for a repeat.  If no one participates and puts their suggestion or name in, there would be nothing to choose from.  Don't be a stranger.

I've updated the thread title and starting post with the second song choice.  Get to work on those recordings!  wink

The Silkie is one of my favourite (although little know) British bands, one of their original songs is always in my repertoire. Hopefully I will get some time to get recordings completed this month.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Alright, a Beatles song.  It has a harmonica part in it at the end. I'll give it a try.
I tried your song Dino but couldn't get it to sound right. It's a good song to listen to but dang if I can make it sound half way decent.

Thanks Chordie for the years of music and advise.

rickyjack wrote:

Alright, a Beatles song.  It has a harmonica part in it at the end. I'll give it a try.
I tried your song Dino but couldn't get it to sound right. It's a good song to listen to but dang if I can make it sound half way decent.

Check out the video or youtube it is very easy too play.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

The only way to play Friends in low places is with a room full of drunks to sing the chorus,,,,Hmmm I might be able to arrange that! LOLOL

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:

The only way to play Friends in low places is with a room full of drunks to sing the chorus,,,,Hmmm I might be able to arrange that! LOLOL

We had Karaoke at my FIRST wedding... my Dad and his railroad buddies (and a bunch of my family) sang this one directed at me.  LOL!

Every time I think I understand the rules to this, I find something else I missed. smile I thought one suggested the song of the month; votes are cast and then the person who suggested it (the winner) gets to play/present it to the group.

No/Yes?

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Bill, I think they're just making it up as they go along..... "we don't need no stinking rules, it ain't no competition!".  That performing part I think was always "optional" and I took it more as a challenge to see how many different interpretations of some better known (and some lesser known) tunes the group could come up with.  Kind of an entertaining "experiment"......

It's fun and just about everything that has been submitted is better than I could have done, so Keep on keepin' on!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I like the no stinking rules. Bill I can not sing and do not know how too put the song here.

Doug_Smith wrote:

I took it more as a challenge to see how many different interpretations of some better known (and some lesser known) tunes the group could come up with.  Kind of an entertaining "experiment"......

That sums it up pretty well Doug. smile

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Every time I think I understand the rules to this, I find something else I missed. smile I thought one suggested the song of the month; votes are cast and then the person who suggested it (the winner) gets to play/present it to the group.

No/Yes?

Thanks

Bill

I'll answer in a direct way.

No.

wink  Here's the short:  People make suggestions or put their name up, whatever the case may be.  We are making the rules up as we go with how the songs are chosen.  That's done over in the "suggestions" threads.  Here in the official "Song of the Month" thread you'll see what songs were chosen.  The idea is, as many people as would like to can and should try recording a version of the cover.  Some months we've had LOTS of submissions, others, not so many.  Basically, it's neat to see how one person may cover a song differently than another person.  That's where Doug's description comes into play, "a challenge to see how many different interpretations ... (of one song) the group could come up with..." 

So - if you're interested in hearing everyone try a particular song, head over to the suggestions thread to put your suggestion in for December.  If you'd like to submit your version of one of the songs of the month, pop a link up here.  If you just want to listen to other peoples versions, this is the place to listen and maybe comment... if someone gets a recording up that is!  wink 

At the end of the day - if you suggest a song and it's chosen, you are not required to record that song.  Dino doesn't share his amazing playing abilities with us because he supposedly can't sing.  That's ok.  We will continue to heckle him, but it's OK that he doesn't grace us with his awesomeness. wink 

SIDE NOTE:  Bill... if a package were to arrive at your home address which I happen to have from a year or so ago, would you be home to receive it say... um.... late next week or early the week after?  Would anyone pick a package up that was left on your doorstep, or should it be sent signature required to ensure it arrives safely to you?  This so called package that may or may not be sent to you could possibly be edible, possibly not.  wink

Sounds like Bill is going to be a lucky boy. I am extremely envious!!

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

It looks like I'm the first one to jump in this month. https://soundcloud.com/rds-songs/youve- … our-love-1
I'm still trying to get the other song to sound half way decent.

Thanks Chordie for the years of music and advise.

https://soundcloud.com/mojo01/friends-in-low-places
here is my shot and friends in low places

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Nicely done both of you! 

(Bill, there's a question for you in my previous comment)

Also, messages left for both Rick and Mo' on SoundCloud. I'm glad neither of them are on those shows where they judge people on their performances, because they'd probably kick me off being that both of the above turned in GREAT performances of their chosen tunes! More, More, More from both of you!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

My Dad used to own a very small hamburger joint called "The Hideaway" and the local radio station kept bugging him to advertise, so during a practice one night, I had the following idea for a radio "jingle". It was called "You've Got To Love Your Hideaway"...... Business increased about 50% I think, until people started calling the station asking how much it would take to get this thing OFF the air????

smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

For December (Y'all are going to have to help me ---- I don't know where the December Suggestions are right now. Please move this one there? Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vONC3sdhiwM

Your Friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

mekidsmom wrote:
beamer wrote:

We had Karaoke at my FIRST wedding... my Dad and his railroad buddies (and a bunch of my family) sang this one directed at me.  LOL!

Well ............... you know it well then mekidsmom ........... we look forward to your version wink lol

Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

rickyjack ...................... as I said on Sound Cloud, really enjoyed listening to you cover Hide Your Love Away,  awesome once again smile

mojo01 ........................ your cover of Friends in Low Places, Fantastic, thoroughly enjoyed it smile

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

For December (Y'all are going to have to help me ---- I don't know where the December Suggestions are right now. Please move this one there? Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vONC3sdhiwM

Your Friend

Bill

Bill ............... i have put your suggestion into the December Suggested FSOM thread smile

Anymore attempts out there for these songs?   Love to hear them smile