1 (edited by arkady 2008-03-22 18:46:33)

Topic: My England

Hi,
This song is some what patriotic.
Written a while back for my Dad who fought in World war II. Not to much about war but more about his love for his country.

Though I think most of the sentiments could apply to a lot of countries.

Regards

Ark

My England Undefined

[C] What is it about you [F] that makes me feel this [C] way.

[C] When I’m leaving [Am] when I’m coming home[ F] I’m lost for words [G] to say.

[C] And I know you have faults [F] and failures [C] andthe troubles you’ve [F] been through.

[Dm] But its not [C] what happened [F] in the past its [G] what we are going to.

[C] And the echo across[ F] the green fields [C] runs through your city [F] streets.

[Dm] And the dream [C]I have [F] for England [G] puts the heart [C] in me.

[C] What is it about you [F] that makes men go to [C] war.

[C] To fight anddie in a [Am] foreign land who could [F] ask of them [G] more.

[C] They were only [F] ordinary men with [C] love ones they left [F] behind.

[Dm] But with [C] a sense [F] of duty they [G] knew it was their time.

[C] And the echo across the [F] battlefields [C] runs down through [F] the years.

[Dm] And the memories [C] they have [F] of England [G] puts the heart [C] in them.

[C] What is about you [F] that inspires the poets [C] to write.

[C] Is it [Am] a pastoral beauty [F] or an historical [G] right.

[C] With artistic [F] licence [C] they paint you with words [F] so bold

[Dm] And in [C] countless [F] stories [G] your past does mightily unfold.

[C] And the echo across [F] the printed page [C] runs through your all citi[F]zens.

[Dm] And the pictures [C] of your [F] heritage [G] puts the heart [C] in them.

[C] What is it about you [F] that comes down through [C] the years.

[C] Isit [Am] a sense of pride [F] or a proprietarily [G] fear.

[C] That this here [F] our country [C] though thick and thin [F] has survived.

[Dm] And hope that [C] in the [F] future [G] an utopia will arrive.

[C] And they echo [F] from by -gone days [C] moulds the future we try to [F] grasp.

[Dm] And the dreams [C] of English[F] people [G] puts the heart back in them.

Re: My England

Most excellent, arkady!  Particulary like the line, 'But it's not what happened in the past it's what we are going to do."  That pretty much sums up my patriotism for me - thanks for articulating the feeling so perfectly!

I love my county not because it is perfect as it is now, but because it can be improved to be better through a process that will respond to people's needs.  The progress might be slow - but it is better than a system where progress is not possible.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Arkady,
My lovely Old Uncle Bob no longer with us would have Saluted this song! He was a londoner,who lived in Surrey most of his life. fought in the wars and i loved his stories of same! He lived to the ripe old age of 97 years! I could see him all over again in uniform from his photos. He was  one of lifes Gentlemen! also one of my most favourite people!
Thanks for that lovely memory.. Do you know i can here his voice in my head singing " Maybe its because i'm a londoner"Ah he was an absolute Pet.

Slán
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hey Arkady,

As an English desendent I feel similiar. I have treasured all my visits and can't wait to get back. I still regret not being born in my forefather's home.

Well done!

Jeff/jets

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

James
Thanks for the kind words.
We Brits are not renowned for our patriotism and I felt a little silly posting this song.
But I think my old Dad would have liked it.

Old Doll
Thanks
Yes my old Dad had many a “story"  to tell about the war.
Now he has passed way I wish I had listened more to him.
He was very proud to have served.

Jeff
I have always thought our links with the USA are strong because a lot of the founders of your great country came from Uk.
Thanks for the comments.

Regards

Ark

our decendants built the foundations on which we can build a better life for all...good song ...

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

hey good job... im an american and even I felt like i loved england for a second there lol

All You Need is Love smile

Hi last rebel
Thanks for the positive comment.
Well just for a second ......Not bad from a old confederate.

Regards

Ark

Hi jasonhague321
I wrote  the song a few years back so I'm not sure how long it took me.
Though I usually find the chords and melody  come to me  fairly quickly.
But struggle with lyrics for weeks!

Regards

Ark

arkady wrote:

Hi last rebel
Well just for a second ......Not bad from a old confederate.

Regards

Ark

lol well i aint never had much of nuthin against england... 'cept for the old taxation thing but you know water under the bridge. this song was good, but write one that makes me feel like i like the north for even a fifth of a second and you can call yourself a master lol tongue

All You Need is Love smile