Topic: Thanksgiving

Tommarow is Thanksgiving and I am wishing a good one for all my friends here.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Re: Thanksgiving

You too Dino!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks Dino.  I hope everyone has a great holiday and gets to spend time with family and friends.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Happy Thanksgiving! 

Here's hoping you all get to spend some time with family, and don't eat too much!

https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/thanksgiving-memes-9.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=230

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

5 (edited by TIGLJK 2016-11-24 12:42:37)

May you all have a healthy and wonderful day of giving thanks, and spending time with family and friends.

It's unfortunate that many Americans now revere the " Black Friday" side of Thanksgiving more than the fundamental spirit of the holiday.
(But that has become the norm for most holidays now anyway - commerce first and true meaning second)
It is ironic however that we as Americans tend to over look some of the true components of the original historical event - like the wiping out the Indians in the years following that first Thanksgiving. 

With that being said - when President George Washington first called for a day of thanks, it was meant to be a healing day. Same thing when President Abraham Lincoln made it an official government during the biggest cataclysmic event in American history (American Civil War).  So today, when I see all the division occurring in America, as well as division between nations, it is a good day to give thanks for the blessings we now enjoy   and celebrate with our families, but also to vow to make the world a better place, to show kindness to others less fortunate than ourselves.  Whether you are from the USA or not, please take time today to reflect on making our world a safer and more pleasant world for our children and grandchildren. Enjoy the company of the ones you love, be kind to others and be compassionate to the impoverished and the deprived. Lastly, let's remember those who are physically unable to be in the comfort of our living rooms and those brave men and women  in service to their nation.
If we were all more like this:   http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/peoplean … spartandhp    the world would be a better place ! smile

A HAPPY DAY OF THANKS GIVING TO ALL CHORDIANS - WHEREVER YOU MAY BE. 
PEACE AND LOVE TO ALL
Bless you all !
Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Happy Turkey Day to all. I'm Thankful for all my Chordie friends.

hope every one has a happy thanks giving, for me its another holiday spent a long way from home. so thanks for the well wishes from my chordie friends to those who are serving there country or just out working making a living like me. don't forget the police doctors and nurses , service industry people working the holidays or  even us lowly oil field trash who keep the gas in your cars so you get home for the holidays. again hope everyone has a happy and safe thanks giving

out of tune out of key and out of touch

We prefer to keep to ourselves, or perhaps to visit with our neighbors for a bit and then send them home.  It is how we have a Happy Thanksgiving.  I hope that each of my American Chordie friends has a wonderful day doing whatever it is that makes you grateful, whether that be volunteering to help others, watching football, being with family, or what-all. 

As for the non-U.S. folks on the board, I hope you each have an Awesome Thursday.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Hope it is a good one

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving to all our U.S Chordie friends

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all!

And ... bravo, TIG, bravo !!!

My favorite holiday.   I'm on a pretty strict weight loss regimen, though (dropped ~30lbs so far) so I wasn't able to pig out like I usually do.  I did manage to stuff my face with turkey, Brussels sprouts, and salad, though, which is pretty good.

No beer and no bread is killing me though.  sad

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

13 (edited by Peatle Jville 2016-11-25 21:13:05)

I hope you all  had a good Thanksgiving. It is not a tradition we have in NZ but I was  interested to read TIGS  good and interesting  comments and also the video. Also good to read the other peoples comments.  The other thing that interest me is there a signifance to the eating Turkey  at this time??? I have only tried Turkey a couple of times when I was in the States and over in the UK. I noticed when I lived in England people ate Turkey as part of Christmas celibrations. I tried to cook a Turkey once but I didnt get it right. Chicken tends to be the bird I eat. At Christmas we are a Roast Lamb family as my 96 year old mother is against the eating of pork and chicken. Though I celibrate Christmas  my Mother does not like that tradition or Birthdays, so I find those times a bit awkward for me. She is a Christian that only believes in Easter.  My father's side was into both birthdays and Christmas so I enjoy both aspects of these occasions.  When Mum is not around I eat both chicken and pork.
https://soundcloud.com/eatleville/leave-school-rave

Very good Tig!

Peatle, Thanksgiving was originally a matter of celebrating the end of the harvest.  Food was abundant after the harvest, and the pilgrims thanked the natives for sharing their knowledge of how to live in this land that was primarily wild and had all sorts of different things growing and living here than they were used to.  That's the basic story anyhow.  smile

The original folks didn't just eat turkey though.  Venison (deer) and buffalo (bison) were also eaten in abundance way back when.  There's a lot of deer hunting, but venison is not something you can just buy in the grocery store.  Bison meat is only available as a specialty item (there's an ugly history of what happened to them and why there aren't many living wild any longer).  So, turkey is what we have that's easily available to purchase.  big_smile  If you wanted to try to cook a turkey again, I could give you the trick to ensure it stays moist!  Even my left overs cold from the fridge will melt in the mouth.  smile 

My Thanksgiving table always has:  Turkey, turkey gravy (homemade from the drippings - I'm adamantly against canned gravy!), mashed potatoes, squash (mashed with butter, brown sugar and nutmeg), corn, enough stuffing to stuff the entire town (sausage stuffing often called "dressing" as well), dinner rolls, homemade cranberry sauce, sweet gherkins, black olives, and my mother brings Apple pie and pumpkin pie.  Most people have a lot more dishes on their table - but I like to keep it to my favorites!  wink 

Jerome - HOW did you survive without bread?  That means no stuffing!  In my world, the stuffing is actually the main course not the turkey!  ha ha!

We have turkey on Thanksgiving - many do for Christmas as well.  Easter is traditionally a ham and possibly lamb. I haven't even tasted a leg or rack of lamb in a long time though (aside from a little bit of ground lamb turned into "sheep burgers" which the kids scoffed at).  Birthdays are always celebrated with cake.  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I have some photos of the time I tried to make "TURDUCKEN"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken on my own, rather than just order it already fixed (and just heat it). I'll spare you all the sight of the blood and entrails as I tried to roll those three animals up together.

And yes, this was during the years that Dondra and I were not together and I thought I owned the world by jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. I thank "She Who Must Be Obeyed" for saving me from myself. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

16 (edited by Peatle Jville 2016-11-26 22:35:57)

Mekids your  food sounds delishes. I always make my gravy from the juices of whatever meat I am cooking with. If I ever try to cook a Turkey again I will try to get your recipe of you as the only time I have cooked Turkey I made a mess of it and came it out to dry. Your Mum's pies also would add to the experience.  I like Apple Pie and Pumpkin pie with a dash of cream or icecream added. Here in NZ we have as take out hot food  an abundance of shops selling burger size pies pies with meat fillings which are sold everywhere.  There are varieties such as Steak and Cheese. Potatoe top pies with a mince underneath. Chicken pies, Steak and Onion, Vegeterian pie. Roat beef and Kumura. (Kumura is a local sweet potatoe). Every where you go in NZ we have Petrol Stations and small shops selling basic household needs known as Dairys selling these pies.
I have read a bit about how the Bison was nearly wiped out. My wife has a picture of Sitting Bull and undrneath it are these words of his. Which I think most probably would convey the life his people wanted to keep.
I will remain what I am until I die, a hunter, and when there are no Buffalo or other game I will send my children to hunt live on praire mice, for where an Indian  is shut up in one place his body becomes weak.  Sitting Bull
I know my relations back in Fiji who live the old ways . Living of the land and  sea have better health and life outcomes compared with those who have moved to modern style living.
Bill, my Wife Maree in her younger day use to be a Skydiver jumping out of perfectly good planes. Watching her doing a tap dance on power lines tryinig to avoid been electrocuted after she jumped out of a plane is still a vivid memory.

mekidsmom wrote:

Jerome - HOW did you survive without bread?  That means no stuffing!  In my world, the stuffing is actually the main course not the turkey!  ha ha!

No doubt!  Fortunately, I have hungry children that would eat a bowl of stuffing all on their own.

My family cooks like they are feeding the Russian army, so there is never a shortage of leftovers to go around.   If you're over for a visit and I get drunk and puke on your shoes, that's just Tuesday.  If you're over for a visit and you go home hungry, that's shameful.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]