Topic: I *HATE* The Sunburst Finish.....

........ especially if the finish is flat (not shiny). Sorry if you have one, but if you do then probably you have a finish which you don't like either.

So what do you say, Chordians? Have a finish or color you don't like?

Thanks

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: I *HATE* The Sunburst Finish.....

I have a few sunburst guitars. (go figure). I never gave it any thought. Black is my least favorite. I have some of those too.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

"There's no accounting for taste", I believe is the saying, Joey³, isn't it?

The lead singer in the band I was in as a teen just HAD to have a Gretsch Country Gentleman, and he had saved up however much they cost in 1965. Only thing was, the music store (only one within about 60 miles) he went to only had a sickly looking green one. He wanted one so badly he bought it even though it wasn't the color he really wanted (red). We (the rest of the band) hated that awful thing, but we never said anything, because he was a dang good guitarist! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Back in the early 90s I built a guitar (electric) for a "friend of a friend"..... it turned out pretty nice and had great sound and all that.  But the body blank was a beautiful figured "Bird's-eye" Maple and looked outstanding until.... the owner chose this transparent stain, that can only be described as Salmon Pink. He absolutely loved the finished guitar, but I didn't EVEN take a photo of it for my scrap-book as it was (to my eyes) disgusting and "should" have been left natural so the character of the wood could speak for itself.  I wound up turning away several more chances to build for that same client for fear that I might become associated with the product and lose credibility as a quality restorer and woodworker.
Not that any of my Fine Furniture Making associates would hold it against me..... much! wink

Now for the disclaimer:  It's just a hobby for me, and not something I do/did for an occupation, but can if needs be and time permits. smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I'm 50/50 on sunburst. I like the colors on the Gibsons, Taylors and the new sunburst Martins. Not so much on the others. And I only like the vintage sunburst. Not the cherry or honey sunbursts. To each his own I guess.

Love natural wood matte sunburst finishes, particularly when they are well done and let the grain pop a bit.

Not a big fan of sunburst myself, but I think something about it just looks right when it's a tobacco sunburst on a strat.  Otherwise, not so much.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I also like the "Butcher Block" natural finish. Just something "clean and pristine" about it. "It's a clean machine", in other words. smile Eric Clapton's original was a Sunburst, IIRC. Complete with cigarette burns and scratches. And guess what? Someone just had to issue a "commemorative" model to look exactly like that. WHY????? smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

i bought my Stratacaster in '72 i ordered it in white as i liked the guitar George Harrison played at the Bangla Desh concerts. i was doing a once a month spot at a pub when i bought a Cort in black it caused a little uproar as i'd been advertised as having a "white" guitar.

my Telecaster is in a kinda maroon colour and quite shiny.

Bill, you don't have to look at the guitar while you're playing lol

i have a CD by Knopfler called "kill for crimson" worth checking out

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

My first guitar was a sunburst. I walked into the store and it immediately caught my eye. I knew nothing about guitars at the time but this Epiphone sunburst practically jumped off the wall into my hands. I bought it just for the color. My second one was the Alvarez 12 string; all natural. Looking at them side by side I decided that I preferred the natural color of the wood.  I wouldn't buy another painted guitar.

I'm a fan of natural wood finishes, but at the end of the day,  appearance is at the bottom of my selection criteria.   Feel and tone, condition if it's used.  If all of that fits, it could be purple and I'd play it.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

12 (edited by beamer 2016-12-15 05:51:02)

I had not really thought about it till you brought it up and had to think on it for a few days, LOL  As I reviewed my guitars in the house I realized we have a tobacco burst AXL Strat, an Xaviere orange burst acoustic single cutaway,  The TAK  is sort of a tobacco burst also, and we have a orangeish burst Bass.  SOOOO I guess we like burst! LOLOLOL

My favorite is a Less Paul style with the redburst, or any that replicate any of ACE's guitars. big_smile big_smile (Maybe the Xaviere honey burst flamed maple XV555 big_smile  )

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Sunburst "works" on some guitars, but not all. I can't imagine a Gibson ES-175 in any other finish.

http://www.12fret.com/wp-content/uploads/ngg_featured/gibson-es175-sb-2000-cons-full-front.jpg

My favorite finish is a quilted maple top, in a deep cherry color ... I just find it mesmerizing:

http://images.equipboard.com/uploads/item_image/image/2165/alex-lifeson-40th-anniversary-of-rush-les-paul-axcess-02-xl.jpg?v=1465282123