151 (edited by jerome.oneil 2017-01-10 20:28:54)

Re: Football2016-2017 season

dino48 wrote:

I think it will be Green Bay and one of the others.

I agree.  I'm sticking with Green Bay - Patriots for right now, but the weekend is coming and reality always wins.

So!  College football championship game was last night, pitting the favored Alabama Crimson Tide against the Clemson Tigers.  Clemson won it a squeeker of a fantastic game in the very last seconds.    I have been down on Clemson all year long based on their habit of winning close games in the final second against not-so-good teams.  I predicted Ohio State would crush them.  Ooops.   Clearly we all know why I'm a peanut thrower and armchair QB.  big_smile

I do compare what Clemson did to how Washington performed against Alabama.  Alabama's D is fantastic, but as I've noted before, that is mostly as a result of their line and linebackers, most of which will eventually end up in the NFL.  Their secondary isn't all that great, and DeShaun Watson threw for over 400 yards against them.  Clemson's defense gave up 31 points, while the Huskies only gave up 17 and held them to less than 350 total yards.  So where was the difference?

Clemson was perfectly willing to go up top, and Deshawn Watson isn't afraid to get hit.   Huskies QB Jake Browning isn't afraid to go up top, either, and he had the receivers to do it.  He just doesn't play well under pressure, and the Tide D brought it all night long.   The Husky play calling was intended to get the ball out of his hands quickly, which means dinking and dunking right into the teeth of those Tide linemen and linebackers.  Which is why Alabama's linebackers scored on a pick-six and the Huskies couldn't move the ball after Alabama adjusted to their "not going deep" strategy and brought their safeties down close.

Anyway, great game, and congrats to the Clemson Tigers.  You'll suck next year!  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I wish we could coach the 49ers I know I could do a better job .

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

Yeah, but that ain't saying much!  big_smile

jerome.oneil wrote:
dino48 wrote:

Yeah, but that ain't saying much!  big_smile

I think we will have a chance about in about ten years!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I do not know who will win all I can say is it depends on the individual performance of each team I hope the Packers continue but Dallas has an excellent team both defense and offense and there playing at home Green Bay will have to really be on top of there game offensive and defense I'm nervous about this one no predictions just hope.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

2 thoughts

- The ACC one again proved they weren't the pushover conference everyone thinks they are
- I am very nervous facing Green Bay with 2 rookie play makers, that said the home team has won the last several times we have met in the play-offs, so GO COWBOYS. Whoever wins this game I will be pulling for to win the Super Bowl.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:

2 thoughts

- The ACC one again proved they weren't the pushover conference everyone thinks they are

When was the first time.  big_smile

158 (edited by dino48 2017-01-13 22:18:06)

Looks Like J. Nelson will not be in to play soon. That's not helping Green Bay.

Pats all the way....   

badeye   cool

one caper after another

160 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-01-15 00:15:43)

I just had a peek at www.nfl.com, because I haven't watched a game all season (no cable TV anymore). Being a member of "The Brady Bunch", I was very pleased to see the Pats finished the reg. season at 14-2, with an incredible +191 points-scored spread.

Naturally, I'd like to see them go all the way!

Seahawks got got beat today.

Falcons played great
Seahawks at full strength would have a tough time winning

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Any quick predictions for today.   Green Bay over Dallas, KC over the Steelers ,,    Ive been wrong  lol

badeye   cool

one caper after another

Green Bay just won over Dallas,One of the best games I have seen.

Aaron Rogers is incredible

What a great game !!!

Cowboys gave it their all, rogers just unreal- great catch by Cobb and kick 2x by Crosby

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

STEELERS!!!!!!!$

That was a real nail chewer down to the end on to Atlanta to face the hot Falcons what a season for Green Bay

TIGLJK wrote:

Falcons played great
Seahawks at full strength would have a tough time winning

They've looked wobbly most of the last 8 games.  Since Earl Thomas went down their pass defense has been terrible, which shouldn't happen as there are a whole lot of good players not named Earl Thomas on that defense.    The problem this year is the same problem for the last four years, "terrible offensive line," except that this year it was minus Marshawn Lynch and Russel Wilson's legs.   They *have* to do something to address that dumpster fire, or their run is over.   I'm not optimistic, though.  Pete Carroll's greatest asset, his eternal optimism, is also a huge liability some times.  There is only so much shine you can put on a turd.

Atlanta's offense looks *fantastic.*  It's just fun to watch those guys move the ball.   And I'm sure everyone here knows how I feel about Aaron Rodgers (best QB ever, if you didn't) so the NFC championship game is going to be a doozy,  and I'm OK with either team winning.   Atlanta coach Dan Quinn was Seattle's Defensive Coordinator when he got the Falcon's job, so seeing him win the big one would be cool.  And because I'm a big Aaron Rodgers fan, I'm OK with Green Bay winning, too.  From a pure football fan perspective, I win either way there.

I'd live if the Steelers won through (no opinion on it, in fact).  If the Pats end up winning it again, someone is gonna have to talk me off the ledge, though.  big_smile

dino48 wrote:

Green Bay just won over Dallas,One of the best games I have seen.

Instant classic.  The Cowboys are going to be dominant for a long time with those kids.  But like I said, "Old age and treachery over youth and skill!"  big_smile

Decisive wins yesterday for the Falcons and the Patriots ... should be a good Superbowl.

http://www.patriots.com/sites/patriots.com/files/styles/borealis_no_limit_respondsmall/public/embedded-photos/180x180-letsgo-social-thumb-v3.jpg?itok=iSrgtTb9&timestamp=1453235472

I hope during the off season the Packers beef up there offensive and defensive lines and add some talent in the linebacking corp, oh yes and a couple of taller faster safety's you cannot compete in this league with a sick or ailing offense get some young bloods to back up the starters and trash the zone defense along with the defensive coordinator end of rant

I don't think the combined '85 Bears and '75 Steelers defenses could slow down Atlanta's offense.   All the passing and a running game to match.  And their defense is really good, too!

Julio Jones would kill you in man to man defense, Russ.  He's too big to put a fast corner on, and too fast to put a big corner on.  The only way to play him is in a zone where the safety can come and help.

Anyway, the Superbowl should be an offensive showcase, which should make it entertaining.  I'm a fan of the other birds for the time being.  big_smile

My prediction - Atlanta 42, New England 35.

jerome.oneil wrote:

I don't think the combined '85 Bears and '75 Steelers defenses could slow down Atlanta's offense.   All the passing and a running game to match.  And their defense is really good, too!

Julio Jones would kill you in man to man defense, Russ.  He's too big to put a fast corner on, and too fast to put a big corner on.  The only way to play him is in a zone where the safety can come and help.

Anyway, the Superbowl should be an offensive showcase, which should make it entertaining.  I'm a fan of the other birds for the time being.  big_smile

My prediction - Atlanta 42, New England 35.

you may be right but I still think there are a few guys out there who are as big and fast as he is maybe not in the present NFL but upcoming drafts and I agree it will be a darn good game and if Atlanta plays anywhere close to how they played the Packers New England is in for a tough day ahead.

Russell_Harding wrote:

you may be right but I still think there are a few guys out there who are as big and fast as he is maybe not in the present NFL but upcoming drafts and I agree it will be a darn good game and if Atlanta plays anywhere close to how they played the Packers New England is in for a tough day ahead.

Sure, but that right there is the problem.  There are a very few guys out there that can play him man to man.   Maybe Patrick Peterson has that kind of size and speed, but even a guy like Richard Sherman, one of the most physical CBs in the league,  isn't fast enough to do it alone.  Jones is just one of those freak show athletes that you have to plan against.  He's generally the best guy on the field no matter who they're playing.  Think Jerry Rice, except only bigger and faster.

The Falcons looked fantastic yesterday I think they will beat the patriots.