Topic: Ovation Elite Plus Contour -. Tiger Eye

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions with regard to an Ovation Elite Plus Contour - Tiger Eye?
Any and all thoughts, opinions, and experiences with regard to that model will be greatly appreciated!

J. Gavic

Re: Ovation Elite Plus Contour -. Tiger Eye

I have several Ovations and love them all. I don't have any of the elite series (yet) but have played several. They all have a very fast neck and the electronics are great. The only drawback to the elite series is they don't project as well as the Celebrity and other models that use a round sound hole. However on the plus side they don't have as many problems with feedback.With my Celebrity I have to be conscious of amp and speaker placement and volume although with an adjustable sound hole plug you have a bit of lee way. A friend of mine has an elite and uses a small direct plug in amp (only a couple watts) to boost his volume if he happens to be outside. My advice is if you like it, get it and enjoy it. I've never played an Ovation I didn't like although I prefer the Celebrity/Balladeer models. Again just personal preference. Even though an Elite wouldn't be my go to I'm sure at some point I'll be adding one to my collection. Hope you enjoy whatever you end up with

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

I like the action and sound of Ovations.  However, the round back and my round front create some unusual rotational possibilities which limit my enjoyment of playing them.  Everything Ovation has made has been top notch.  If it works for you, get it.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Ovation are beautifully made and gorgeous sounding guitars. They have a sleek fast neck, which (unfortunately) has kept me and my big mitts from ever owning one.

I play a Celebrity Elite shallow bowl.... should have gone with the larger volume body in retrospect.  The Bass is a little weak and unamplified it does not project with as much volume as the Balladeer line.  Changing string gauges helps with the former, but the latter, you have to be more aggressive especially in groups to be heard in the mix.
Otherwise no complaints, it has been a stable and easy to play instrument with a fast neck and nicely radius fretboard that is similar to my Epi solid body electric even in the higher neck positions.  Gotta play a few to see how they fit you though.... that round back takes some adjusting to, and a strap almost a must.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

If you play sitting down they make a small rubber pad for your lap to grip the lyrachord back and prevent it from wanting to slide forward. You can find it on ebay for a couple bucks

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway