Topic: no way to get those barre chords!!

i´m working on barre chords for weeks even months, and there is no way to get the high E and  B string ringing,  the B is always muted and the E if i get it to ring sounds bad

i push with with my index and thumb until y hurts and even pull the guitar against my body like y read samewhere, what am i doing wrong? its getting really frustraiting not being able to get this sad

if anyone can give me same direccion about what to do are what i could be doing wrong...

thanks a lot  trippy

Re: no way to get those barre chords!!

I find it easier if I twist my hand round slightly towards the nut, tucking my elbow in towards my body a bit.

Don't let this get you down (easier said than done i know). You WILL get there. Took me YEARS to get a decent sounding barre chord. I'm still not really happy with my A shaped barres. But I'll get there. As you will if you keep at it.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Its a lot easier further up the fretboard, if you can get them there, try to work back down the neck until your fingers are strong enough to hold the Fmaj. I'm still rubbish at Fmaj, i end up doing the low F with my thumb and leaving the high E open (I tell everyone its a Fmaj7, which it is, but its laziness mostly).

Also try shiftin your index finger back and forward until you find a bony bit bit of finger to hold the high notes down, mines is my second knuckle in. Either that or go for the jimi hendrix technique of using your thumb for the low notes and then you don't have to barre anything.

[font=Courier New]
E|-5-index
B|-5-index
G|-3-middle
D|-5-pinky
A|-5-ring
E|-3-thumb
[/font]

You should probably ignore my thumb advice if you want to have "perfect" technique but it works for me.

about using thumb , sound easy if you have big hands, but mine´s are smale and dont get my thumb fare enough to get the bass pucht down, i did tray what you said about moven finger back and forward and it seems i get a bit  of decent  sound fron the 4th fret, but when i pass the 7th fret  it sounds bad.

well thats been a great help, at least i got same decent sound ( not to decent but a bit) and thats enough to keep me going with it.

thanks very much

trippy

Trippy, maybe the action's too high on your guitar? Try getting that looked at.

Practice, man.  That's the only real answer.

Try just playing the bar, and striking the notes one at a time.  Adjust the barre accordingly, then ad the other frets.

Play lots of minor 11 chords, too. 

But mostly it's practice.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

7 (edited by trippy 2007-08-16 19:54:30)

mrjay wrote:

Trippy, maybe the action's too high on your guitar? Try getting that looked at.

you mean if the strings are to high on the guitar? and making it hard to push them down?

i have to mencion that i dont have the strings change jet,  the owner of the store told me that i could play some time with them but that i replace them quick becouse the default string arent verry good.

i´m thinking of getting some soft strings, could that make it easyer to play barre chords?

jerome.oneil wrote:

Practice, man.  That's the only real answer.

Try just playing the bar, and striking the notes one at a time.  Adjust the barre accordingly, then ad the other frets.

Play lots of minor 11 chords, too. 

But mostly it's practice.

i pratice a lot, and should be able to play like you said "just playing the bar and striking the notes one by one"

but i stil cant even do that! sad

well should say could not,
now i´m at least able to play a couple of notes that sound medium decent, but i could not get out my mind that i whas doing someting wrong, and also think a lot about the strings that came with the guitar. i´m really starting to think that soft string may help me...

Me too.  Good luck.  Just going to keep doing it until I can do it.  Can't get there quick, and can't make it sound good even slow.  Someday I hope to have it both quick and good, but if not the sun will still come up in the morning.  Or if it doesn't, I'll be sorely disappointed.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

zurf, we´ll get there no doudt about it, just do what REM said " hang on"

greetz trippy

The lighter strings should help.  Also, make sure your thumb is pressing aginst the back of the guitar neck and not hooked over the side.  This will allow you to squeeze the neck harder.

Steve
8{I

Endeavor to be different.  Everyone else does.

Spadalino!  Good advice.  Thanks.  I was doing precisely what you said and will adjust my thumb position (probably a good habit to be in anyway). 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

trippy wrote:

i pratice a lot, and should be able to play like you said "just playing the bar and striking the notes one by one"

but i stil cant even do that! sad

well should say could not,
now i´m at least able to play a couple of notes that sound medium decent, but i could not get out my mind that i whas doing someting wrong, and also think a lot about the strings that came with the guitar. i´m really starting to think that soft string may help me...

What that says to me is "more practice!"

It will come.  Just be patient and persistent, and some day you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

thanks! a´ll stay at it smile

Also tryt tuning down a full tone. This makes it easier to fret the strings.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

alvee33 wrote:

Also tryt tuning down a full tone. This makes it easier to fret the strings.

i tune my guitar with a elektronic tuner, how do i do for tuning down a full tone? right tuning is at 440 Hz, tuning down a tone is at 430 Hz?

but wont this make my chords sound bad?

A is at 440.  To tone it down a full step, you would tune each string like thus.

E    ->   D
A   ->   G
D   ->   C
G   ->   F
B   ->   A
E   ->   D

Although I don't know I'd agree that it is a good idea.   You need to develop hand strength, so you might as well just keep it tuned to standard.   I do think lighter strings would be a good idea, though.

jerome.oneil wrote:

A is at 440.  To tone it down a full step, you would tune each string like thus.

E    ->   D
A   ->   G
D   ->   C
G   ->   F
B   ->   A
E   ->   D

Although I don't know I'd agree that it is a good idea.   You need to develop hand strength, so you might as well just keep it tuned to standard.   I do think lighter strings would be a good idea, though.

i think i agree with you alltho ist a good idee, y need to get my strings down,  soft strings may be a better solucion for me, softer but still with  the strings put at 440.

thanks to all guys yo gave me a lot of good idees

It's very important to keep the barre finger very straight from the finger tip through to the knuckle where the finger joins the hand this will help put pressure on the B&E strings. If the barre finger is bent at the middle knuckle it takes pressure of the top two strings, just what you don't want. For more info and tabs to works barre chords go to www.nofretguitarlessons.com.au

Honestly, it took me 8 months to get my barre chords down well and quick enough.  Just keep going man!

Tone_Obsession

Barres chords are important for sure - but don't get totally hung up on them. I have been playing barres (and struggling with the pace of laying some) for ages - but recently less. Why? Because if you watch performers like Noel Gallagher, KT Tunstall and Beck, they hardly (maybe never) throw one. Golden Age is normally tabbed with Fm (not a difficult barre - and essential for Beatles stuff! - George knew all the proper chords!) but if you look at YouTube performance of Beck he clearly uses a muted non barre form - and sometimes these forms sound better in a sort of percussive strumming way.

And often a B7 is better than a B, a 5th fret A sounds good with open strings - and so on. It's IMHO more to do with flow and style - and maybe reducing the strain in a concert! Opinions on this phenomenon  are appreciated, because watching the above perform has certainly changed my mind about a subject that- quite frankly- puts some people off playing good acoustic numbers from tabs.

Maybe someone can list alternative fingerings, and discuss whether barres are fading out of "modern popular" playing?

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

You can get alternative fingerings on chords on the Chordie listings by clicking on the particular chord as it appears on the right side of the screen.  You can then pick the alternative fingering you want to use and print it or save it to your songbook with that particular alternative.  A nifty feature!

I want to use barre chords in some songs that have quick descents.  G to F# to E or some such.  It would be useful to just have to move my fingers down the neck without reconfiguring them.   Whether they are fading out of modern playing, I don't think so.  There may be alternatives used, but they are alive and well.  Modern playing is expanding styles and possibilities without throwing away any of the old methods.   

- Zurf

Zurf is right, there are expanding possibilities in modern playing and nobody is going to throw away those trusty techniques.

I guess what I'm getting at is that if throwing a barre on a Bm is delaying the rhythm by half a beat, whereas grabbing it with the thumb doesn't - then why panic when it seems good enough for for some pretty nifty big name players. Many tabs show the default barre form of a chord, when it's absolutely not what the artist is playing. Youtube is great for looking at that.

Of course fingerstyle, classical or advanced picking is a different matter ... however I also think Suzanne Vega doesn't do much barring either - maybe it forces songwriters into using those characterful open string patterns!

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

Or maybe they're self-taught and didn't spent the 200 years of practice it takes to put your hand into that unnatural position quickly and effectively.  Seriously, I think some of those people playing that amazing stuff on YouTube have eight or nine fingers on their left hands.  Sheesh. 

Can you tell I'm getting a little frustrated with trying to do barre chords on a classical guitar?  Time to practice more with the electric until I can afford a comfortable steel-string folk guitar. 

- Zurf

What is fading out of modern playing is talented guitar players, not barre chords.  All those folks you listed are certainly good singer/songwriters, but you would be hard pressed to call them great guitar players.   You can play three chord ditties all day long at the neck, but all you'll ever play is three chord ditties.  There's nothing wrong with that, but it limits you as an artist.

People that play guitar for a living, rather than sing songs play the barre, because it is the only way to open the neck up completely.  Bill Frissel, Shawn Lane, Frank Gambale, Alan Holdsworth...  Those guys are great players, and they all barre effectively.

Playing the barre is not hard.  It just requires discipline and practice, and that's where most folks fall down.