Topic: SUGGESTIONS: MAY 2017 FEATURED SONG OF THE MONTH

We will be running this is a similar vain to last month.  We are looking again for TWO SONG Suggestions for the month of May. 
We are wanting ONE SONG form the 1970`s and ONE SONG from the 1990`s.
It can be ANY SONG once again of YOUR CHOICE.  A favorite band, group, solo artist, genre .... the choice is YOURS.
Enter your suggestions, as many suggestions as you want, they will ALL be entered no matter how many songs you enter, the more the better.
Songs will once again be Put In The Hat for the two winning songs to be chosen.
Now get started and suggest LOTS of songs!

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Re: SUGGESTIONS: MAY 2017 FEATURED SONG OF THE MONTH

70s - Amie by Pure Prairie League.
90s - Rain King by Counting Crows.

in honor of the 1970's   here is a link to a " first line" of songs of the 70's quiz.

I got 24 out of 30.

pretty interesting ,informative, and fun.
http://quizzes.howstuffworks.com/quiz/7 … oYcA%3D%3D

give it a whirl - see how you do smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I love 70's sissified folk/rock.  I'll give a listen to my Pandora station for ideas.

90's - I liked Counting Crows and Everclear and Matchbox 20.  I'll toss out 3AM. Wait, I better check to see it wasn't in the 00's.  Nope.  Album released in '96.  So I'll go with 3AM. There was a rousing version of 3AM done at Chordiestock V, but it was at roughly 12:30AM. It included lyrics like mmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaa and ffyernawillendaaaamunnnnnner.  The person singing didn't know the lyrics.  It didn't matter. Once the lyrics were retrieved, the diction improved but not necessarily the singing.  Hearing a percussionist scat a pop song was awesome.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

My 70's recommendation...  Dave Mason's "We Just Disagree" - a solid 12 stringer song that would take Beamer's Metalizing well. 

I have no idea if this transcription is good. I've never tried to play the song.  It has a B chord shape in it, so it's probably evil. 
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.g … 26987.html

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I am changing my 90's song recommendation.  It is Nanci Griffith's "From A Distance."  And I am going to be fully open here - this is entirely because I want to hear Amy sing it with her family backing her. 

For those who thought it was a Bette Midler vehicle... shame on you.

Tig thanks for the link but how about some song suggestions? I am sure you must have some smile

Come on everyone, there must be plenty more suggestions out there smile

Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Zurf wrote:

I am changing my 90's song recommendation.  It is Nanci Griffith's "From A Distance."  And I am going to be fully open here - this is entirely because I want to hear Amy sing it with her family backing her. 

For those who thought it was a Bette Midler vehicle... shame on you.

Julie Gold was apparently the actual writer. I've listened to them all performing it. It's a beautiful song, and each has done a beautiful version.  Bette did make it famous though. wink

If it is chosen, I would love to hear some guys on this song. It would make for a great cover to be done various ways.  I bet Beamer could even find a way to rock it out!

BGD, Amie was a featured song not too long ago.  tongue I am pretty sure you covered it too!

1970's - Jim Croce!  Anything really, but how about "Next Time, This Time"

1990s - "Little Black Backpack", and I'll second Zurf's suggestion as well!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Oh it was? I don't remember that.  Too much going on in my life right now lol. 

In that case I retract Amie Amy.  And instead I humbly request Guitar Man.

Baldguitardude wrote:

Oh it was? I don't remember that.

There was Scotch. And then beer with dinner.  And then Scotch. Woody Woodpecker dropped by for a visit in the middle of the song.

11 (edited by Zurf 2017-04-15 14:11:53)

I do two Jim Croce songs that I can put up for Amy if she does From a Distance.  "Age" and "Big Wheel"  are the two. I kind of sort of started to a little bit learn "One Less Set of Footsteps".   Astronomical charted out "I've Got a Name" for me because he thought I'd do it well.  It's a good Croce song too.  In fact, the only Croce song that isn't a good Croce song in my opinion is "Time In a Bottle", and that's not Croce's fault but Kim Ferraar's fault. He was the Jr. High choir director and had the choir perform that song at every event for three years and I got sick of it. Mr. Ferraar though, was a good guy, but for that one problem.

I think I'm going to have to put "We Just Disagree" in the big yellow book of songs to learn.

OHHHHHH OUR DUET. I remember very little other than fun, drinks, good company, and drinks.

Oh and dinner.  That was good too.

Any more suggestions?  There are heaps of awesome 70`s and 90`s songs.  Come on .......... put forward some more suggestions as gives us more choices to pull out of the hat smile

Gidday Jandle
many of the songs suggested are of a similar type.
so i`m thinking lets rattle the cage & do a Bee Gees disco song.
Now calm down, maybe settle for one of the great songs ever.
`To Love Somebody`

The King Of Audio Torture

easybeat wrote:

Gidday Jandle
many of the songs suggested are of a similar type.
so i`m thinking lets rattle the cage & do a Bee Gees disco song.
Now calm down, maybe settle for one of the great songs ever.
`To Love Somebody`

Hi easybeat,  now that song would have been a great suggestion when we were looking for 60`s and 80`s songs as that song was written and recorded in 1967 and re-released in 1980 smile  but we are now looking for songs from the 70`s and 90`s era`s.  Got some song suggestions for those era`s?

Sorry Jandle.i didn`t want to spook the horses.hence To Love Somebody.
How about` Nights On Broadway` it`s not a favourite of mine at all.
I`ve chosen this as i think it will be a different challenge,to the usual stuff.

The King Of Audio Torture

easybeat...... yep that is definately a 1970`s song .........so it can be entered in the hat, thanks smile   

Anymore suggestions easy for a 90`s song?   

Anyone else?  ....    time is running out smile

18 (edited by Zurf 2017-04-29 20:01:23)

Jandle wrote:

easybeat...... yep that is definately a 1970`s song .........so it can be entered in the hat, thanks smile   

Anymore suggestions easy for a 90`s song?   

Anyone else?  ....    time is running out smile

It appears that I don't remember the 90's much better than I remember the 80's, but for entirely different reasons.

Mr. Jones by Counting Crows is good.

Santa Monica by Everclear is good.

Song Country-ish songs from the 90's that I liked.

Don't Rock the Jukebox by Alan Jackson

Should've Been a Cowboy by Toby Keith

Love Without End, Amen by King George (George Straight)

Here's a Quarter, Call Someone Who Cares by Travis Tritt

Edit: I struck a song suggestion because I watched Darrell Scott play it, and it is simply not attainable to me in this lifetime.  Maybe if I had two or three lifetimes to spare, I might get it eventually.  But...maybe not.

I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents here, even though I'm not posting anything because I can't stand to hear myself sing. I would love to hear BGD (and others) attempt a cover of a Dave Matthews tune. "Under the Table and Dreaming" and "Crash" wee both released in the 90s and I've just got a feeling that BGD could do justice to some of those tunes. Myself -  not only can't I sing them, but Dave plays some weird chords that require more fingers than I have. Since I am not participating, feel free to ignore my suggestion!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

easybeat wrote:

Sorry Jandle.i didn`t want to spook the horses.hence To Love Somebody.
How about` Nights On Broadway` it`s not a favourite of mine at all.
I`ve chosen this as i think it will be a different challenge,to the usual stuff.

You tryin' to win some kind of "popularity contest" with that one???  Only among those who really like the key of Bd....  I just tried it (and although that is my Key) I'm gonna not even take a wild shot at it.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

topdown wrote:

I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents here, even though I'm not posting anything because I can't stand to hear myself sing. I would love to hear BGD (and others) attempt a cover of a Dave Matthews tune. "Under the Table and Dreaming" and "Crash" wee both released in the 90s and I've just got a feeling that BGD could do justice to some of those tunes. Myself -  not only can't I sing them, but Dave plays some weird chords that require more fingers than I have. Since I am not participating, feel free to ignore my suggestion!

I'll send you a recording of crash.  It's in my set list.   The other one is way too high for my voice.

Now do I get to pick one for you to sing?

Sunday Morning Coming Down is a crowd favorite for Topdown.  He also does a good job with Johnny Cash songs in general.

Also Creep.

My suggestion would be 1999 song by David Grey - Babylon

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I'll throw these 2 out there.Seminole Wind, John Anderson,92...Roller Derby Queen, Jim Croce,73.

Thanks Chordie for the years of music and advise.