Topic: Please Recommend A String Winder?

A couple of times now, I have busted the high E string on Amy's Guitar. Luckily, her husband Jim had included a set of extras. so at least I had a replacement.

I got it on there, but not without a lot of difficulty: Bad eyesight , which I hope to get fixed soon, and the trembling in my right hand made it hard to see my headstock key thingies. So I got it on there, and it is holding, but I kinda think a string winder might be better for me.

The string busted because I was tuning the high E too high and didn't realize it! smile\\

Have a great weekend, kids!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Please Recommend A String Winder?

Any old cheap string winder works. If you are breaking the same string repeatedly check for a burr on the but and saddle.  Also might need to take er easy on the strumming or go up a gauge.

Sorry to hear about the annoyance, Bill ...

Do you use a tuner (to keep from tuning too high)? These little clip-on doo-hickies are cheap and work surprisingly well. It'll help you prevent over-tightening, if that's the main source of the breakage.

http://www.frontendaudio.com//v/vspfiles/photos/9999-09352-2T.jpg

Look at one of these for an option,  I like all my tools together when doing a job.
https://www.amazon.com/Multifunction-Gu … ing+winder

There are electric ones, but you get more control with your hands which I prefer. smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks, guys.  TF: Heretofore (my favorite word smile ) I had been using a downloaded app for tuning, but I can sure see where that clip on tuner would work better. Especially if I'm not at home.

To expound a little more on the dilemma I mentioned above. One other problem I have is with knot-tying of the string after it passes through the nut. I have a bit of a tremor starting in my right hand and that makes it difficult for me to work with anything close-up So that was a problem as well.

Doug, that thing looks like a Swiss Army Knife, and I love those multi-tools, so I may spring for it.

Thanks Fellas

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

This is kinda the way I do it, which gets just the right number of wraps around the post so no knot tying is needed.
https://www.taylorguitars.com/support/s … el-strings

Seems to work well for most metal strings..... Nylon on the other hand does need some knotting practice especially on those slot head guitars with the large diameter windlass. smile

Tenement Funster wrote:

Sorry to hear about the annoyance, Bill ...

Do you use a tuner (to keep from tuning too high)? These little clip-on doo-hickies are cheap and work surprisingly well. It'll help you prevent over-tightening, if that's the main source of the breakage.

http://www.frontendaudio.com//v/vspfiles/photos/9999-09352-2T.jpg

there Is a free app on the iPhone called guitar tuna that works pretty good to

out of tune out of key and out of touch

If you like a more traditional turner here is one that is as accurate as one I have that costs lots and I like the size better: http://www.guitarcenter.com/DAddario-Pl … 4478644.gc

Several others carry the same turner.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

mOJO IS CORRECT  gUITAR tUNA IS AWESOME - i USE IT ALL THE TIME - ITS FREE.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I don't have a smart phone (don't know how to work one), so that takes care of downloading the app, I guess. I'll check out the link.

Thanks you guys and if I may use an epithet from the 50's...... You guys are swell!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

scotties string winder and a tuner

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Thanks, beamer. I'm going to need it to handle bass as well as guitar. I'll take a look.

Thanks again

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

For a tuner, I use a basic Korg GA 1 . For a pegwinder, an Ernie Ball Power Peg. When you string as many guitars as I do, you want to wind the pegs fast. Lol

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

For a tuner, I use a basic Korg GA 1 . For a pegwinder, an Ernie Ball Power Peg. When you string as many guitars as I do, you want to wind the pegs fast. Lol

Funny comment about stringing lots of guitars ... how many can you do before the battery discharges? lol

To expound a little more on the dilemma I mentioned above. One other problem I have is with knot-tying of the string after it passes through the nut. I have a bit of a tremor starting in my right hand and that makes it difficult for me to work with anything close-up So that was a problem as well.

Rock73 wrote:

So you and Bill have the same difficulty???  Perhaps I'm confused, are we talking about nylon or steel?  Nylon you tie, steel you don't.  Please clarify so we can advise you better.

Hi Bill.

If I recall correctly, Russ bought a guitar with an automatic tuner?
I have lots including pitch pipes, one each on my guitar processers (2) one on my PC of course one on my recorder and the one I use mostly on my vocal harmoniser. They all have slightly different pitches, so the important one is the harmoniser.

Here's a tip. When tuning start with the G string go to the D,A and low E before tuning the high E an D strings  a tip I got from Joe Walsh

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

18 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-06-16 11:21:02)

There are a couple of other "lazy man" ways of dealing with tuning issues:

1) Locking tuners - especially recommended if your guitar has a tremolo. The Grover 106's are super simple to install / use.

2) Multi-Board - units like my Boss ME80 have a built in tuner, so if you can plug into the board, you can tune to perfection.

I watched a review of a guitar on-line a while back, and the thing was badly out of tune. The guy kept going for 4 or 5 minutes, and it was horrible. All the while, he was praising the guitar, and saying things like "Do you hear that? That's the deep rich tone we all want." And it sounded like crap ... had to be prank. Hmmmmm ...

Phill Williams wrote:

Hi Bill.

If I recall correctly, Russ bought a guitar with an automatic tuner?
I have lots including pitch pipes, one each on my guitar processers (2) one on my PC of course one on my recorder and the one I use mostly on my vocal harmoniser. They all have slightly different pitches, so the important one is the harmoniser.

Here's a tip. When tuning start with the G string go to the D,A and low E before tuning the high E an D strings  a tip I got from Joe Walsh

I agree Phill, THE most important one is the Vocal Processor.  It has to be right for the automatic pitch correction to know how to compensate.  I used a 440A tuning fork for years..... then as I aged, it didn't work so well, it must me me not the tool. smile

Not necessarily Doug. Over the years any metallic surface will collect dirt and grime, it will also wear with handling throwing the pitch. Of course it doesn't help to have tinnitus ringing constantly in your ears! Though I can still tune using harmonics, but you still need to get one string in perfect pitch.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.