1 (edited by mekidsmom 2017-06-09 11:21:24)

Topic: Backyard Gathering - 2017 - August 5th!

Like every stinkin' year, I don't have a date set YET!  But that will come, and will be updated here in the first post as we move forward.  I'm sorry I haven't been around here a lot lately, but that doesn't mean I'm not around.  I miss ya'll and sure do hope many of you regulars here can make it this year!

As this is the same deal as last year and the year before, I'm pretty much going to copy and paste from last year's thread with a few little tweaks.  No reason to fix it if it ain't broke!

When: AUGUST 5th
Where: MekidsFamily's backyard in Central NY State
Who:  Local and Chordie Friends

What:
Backyard style gathering
Guitars
Food on the grill
Bon Fire (we have no barn to burn down any longer, no more insane fires... I don't think)
Kid Friendly
Tent Friendly
Boat/Yak/Canoe Friendly

We'll do one day and evening dedicated as a backyard relaxed party (Saturday).  This means that if you live close please feel free to bring a dish, everyone BYOB and a lawn chair if you are able (coolers make great seats).  Bring your guitar or instrument of choice if you are able (or share, there's plenty of them here)!  Bring along the kids if you'd like (but keep an eye on them).  Bring along warmer clothing for the evening (or stand within 10 feet of the fire for warmth).  Should it rain, we'll move to the wrap around porch or inside.  Jim and I will provide food (NY Salt Potatoes, NY Sweet Corn, burgers, dogs, SMOKED PULLED PORK, the best tater salad you've ever had in your life, fresh fruit, homemade cookies perhaps, good yummy stuff, etc).

Note:  When I say, NY I do not live anywhere near New York City.  This is rural, Upstate NY.  We live in the central part of NY State.  Send me a message for the specific address.  Look up Oneida Lake, you can walk to it from my home, on the North Shore.

Of COURSE those traveling should plan to stay for the weekend and if you'd like to stay longer, we'd LOVE to have you!  The yard is plenty large enough to set up tents.  There are also tons of nearby NY State Campgrounds (as well as private ones).  There are motels close, and Hotels close enough.  We do have a little bit of space inside - couches to crash on, however we have hardwood floors so crashing on a floor may not be a best plan unless you bring along a pad.  Along with one day of an outdoor party, we'll do a few days of just relaxed picking, strumming, or helping you find cool things to see depending on the turn out of course.  Nearby are streams, rivers, lakes, waterfalls, nature trails, and historic sites.  The girls and I took Roger on a hike down the Salmon River Falls the year he came.  The Boxing Hall of Fame and Baseball Hall of Fame are within driving distance as well.  The Adirondacks are about a 1 1/2 hour drive, Niagara Falls is about a 3 hour drive from here, and New York City is about 5.  If you want to come up and join us and go off wandering and exploring, I'll have dinner on the table for you when you get back.  As Dirty Ed knows, the coffee is always on early in the morning, and hugs from the littlest are free.  Come visit and join us for a little in person Chordie Family Style Gathering!

The closest airport is SYR.  For more specific details, shoot me an email.

DATE HAS BEEN UPDATED!
Last year's thread is here if you want to check it out:  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=29491

edited to update the date

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: Backyard Gathering - 2017 - August 5th!

It depends on my employment situation. Hopefully, I can make it this year.  I had a great time last year.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Don't know if the time frame will work for me, but will be following the posting.

You know I'll be there. It's become a tradition. smile

Jx3 - We sure do hope you can make it!  We'll try to get a date firmed up ASAP, and suggestions of course are welcome and helpful!  If we can get one set before you start out venturing on a possible new job, hopefully you'll be able to add that into your interview "I'd love to start ASAP, but I do have a prior commitment this weekend."  wink

Marshel54 - If you have any particular weekends that would be better than others, we're all ears!  Help us choose!

UJB - I'd be sad if you couldn't make it.  I'm glad it's already a plan!  Anything going on any weekend we should NOT plan on?  I'm kind of leaning toward last weekend in July or first in August - but it's of course negotiable!  wink

As usual, completely up in the air for me. My sister lives in Elmira and I owe her a visit. Or...really about ten visits.  She's a musician too, though I'm not sure if she's still playing. At one time she played banjo, mountain dulcimer, and guitar and sang folk songs ... I mean old mountain folk songs.  Like the kind of obscure stuff that gets played in intros to voiceovers at state parks where they talk about the logging heritage of a region.  Anyway, it would be fun, but I have no idea of what is possible.  If it works, I'll pitch a tent and bring my cot. There's not many places I'm not comfortable with my cot and a tent. I think the likelihood is on the lower end - 15% maybe.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

August always works for me. I'm usually pretty busy with work obligations in July and I'm already taking a weekend for a local music festival.

Looking forward to joining in again. Early August works for me as I have a Canadian canoe trip planned for late August/early September.

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

So... it seems the weekend of August 4-6 might be a good date to aim for.  Anyone prefer a week later, or should we aim at that date? 

Things have bee insane busy since my promotion.  I went from working 20 hours to 50 per week, then down to a schedule 35 but always seemed to hit 40.  Now, I know 40 hours a week doesn't sound too crazy to most... but add to that the fact that I work from home so these are not like 8 hour straight shifts, they bounce around through the days (spread out over 6 days per week - who needs 2 days in a row off?) AND the kids are home with me as I'm homeschooling them.  So, I'm always doing about 20 things at once!  Ha ha!  LOOKING FORWARD to taking a week off to just play the guitar with all my friends and have a little time to just shoot the breeze. 

Add to that, we had been hoping to visit Ken and Jen in Ohio and just couldn't fit it in.  I'm so glad you're planning to make the trek to see us!  Perhaps I'll be in a better position with my job next year to take some additional time off.  I desperately want to make it out of this state again sometime soon (well... further than just NY and PA anyhow).

Now that it is a set date, I will let Chris know.  Like I said before, it depends on if I am working. Even if I am, I have to see if I can get the time off. Hoping I can make it again this time. At least I have a date to go by now.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Now that it is a set date, I will let Chris know.  Like I said before, it depends on if I am working. Even if I am, I have to see if I can get the time off. Hoping I can make it again this time. At least I have a date to go by now.

Working? Bored already? You've only bought like 16 guitars since those uniform shirts went up in flames. smile

Baldguitardude wrote:
joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Working? Bored already? You've only bought like 16 guitars since those uniform shirts went up in flames. smile

Starting to get bored. For some reason I pictured my retirement as being sitting on my deck playing and drinking Genesee all the time.That started to get old fast. Going from 14 hours each day to not working is a big step. I won`t do what I was doing. I will get something more age friendly and not as draining. At least I can be a little bit choosy this time. My job was sucking the life out of me more and more each day.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

THE DATE HAS BEEN UPDATED!

I've updated the original post to reflect the updated date.  Thanks to those of you that shared a thought on this and helped us make a decision! 

For those that can come or are thinking of making it and need some direction, please send me an email and I'll be happy to provide you with the address.  If you need any help with accommodations and don't want to just camp out in the back yard, let me know!  DE likes to stay at a campground down the road and JJJ found a nice camp to rent on the lake when he was here.  Looking forward to seeing some of you in just TWO MONTHS!

Chances are good that I will be there. I don`t see myself working soon. Have to see if I can rent the same house again.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

REMINDER:  We're about one month away.  big_smile  If you were thinking of coming, let us know please!  Also, feel free to shoot me an email if you need specific directions and/or help with lodging (although the backyard is totally there for camping as well!)

I`ll be there.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Unfortunately, the date conflicts with my vacation plans. I am still looking forward to my first Chordie gathering.

Sounds like a great time. 
I finally have my INS issues dealt with but alas still not in the cards for this year.
One day?  You never know...

Have fun!
Jim

You know I'm in.

Marshel54 wrote:

Unfortunately, the date conflicts with my vacation plans. I am still looking forward to my first Chordie gathering.

October in Pa will be here before you know it. smile Tentatively the weekend of the 7th but we'll firm that up after I get back from NY.

Awe, too bad.  Hopefully we'll see you in PA!

Sounds like a great time.
I finally have my INS issues dealt with but alas still not in the cards for this year.
One day?  You never know...

Have fun!
Jim

We'll make sure to keep inviting you!  Maybe one of these years you'll make it!

I`ll be there.

Yay! 

We're not inviting as many local folks as we have in years past.  Not that the event ever got TOO big, but I'm a bit concerned we may end up in the house.  There's been a lot of local flooding with a very wet start to our summer.  The good news is that we've still got dry areas of the yard (it helps to be on a bit of a hill) for tents, and things can always be moved around inside pretty easily should we need to go inside!  Looking forward to seeing those that will be able to make it (so far UJB, DE, JJJ). 

Be it a large get together or a tiny gathering of just a few people - any guitar get together is worth the time and effort!  Plus, I desperately need a valid reason to take time off from work!  smile

Chris and I are trying to figure out which car  (CAH)  to take.  Mine- bigger and more room. Hers-- better on gas.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Chris and I are trying to figure out which car  (CAH)  to take.  Mine- bigger and more room. Hers-- better on gas.

That would depend on Two factors..... resources, and HOW MANY guitars you plan to bring.  big_smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

unclejoesband wrote:

You know I'm in.

Marshel54 wrote:

October in Pa will be here before you know it. smile Tentatively the weekend of the 7th but we'll firm that up after I get back from NY.

I will watch for the announcement. There is a FHC event 20 minutes. from me the 1st part of Oct. Fingers crossed that both events don't fall on the same weekend.

Marshel54 wrote:

I will watch for the announcement. There is a FHC event 20 minutes. from me the 1st part of Oct. Fingers crossed that both events don't fall on the same weekend.

I'll make a post in the "Any Musicians" thread over there too.

I will bring the same 2 guitars I brought last year. The bread machine stays home. It made its appearance last year. It is still alive and well in the back of my FJ. Vices will be a minor expense. Looking forward to coming again.

Enjoy Every Sandwich