Topic: Arkadys Dogs B#####x?

Ark,
I only ever heard your expression from English People, friends or holiday makers!
We do use that word here in different ways! A term of endearment?
"Ah your an awful B####x" can mean i like you! or i think your funny!
That yoke is B####x? means its broke or not working!
Your only a B####x? Means "your not a very nice person!
I will-n-me B####x? means "Im not doing that!
Ask me B####x, "speaks for its self!

We also use the word "Hoor" not as whore" But!
"Your a cute hoor" meaning clever! or i like you!
He is a hoor of a man! Meaning "Great fella"
That fella is an awful hoor! meaning "he is always up to devilment!
Thats a hoor of a haircut! Meaning the" Hairdresser did a bad job"

Thanks Ark for this one! i very seldom use any of these words, But always find them very amusing in the right context!
Now what other words around the world are used like this?

ADMIN! feel free to delete this if you feel its improper for the Forum?

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Re: Arkadys Dogs B#####x?

Hey Old Doll,
Words and expressions are a fasinating part of local/National identities. We Canadians have many. Like:

A loonie.
Our one dollar coin has an image of a loon on it

A Toonie

When the two dollar coin replaced the two dollar bill the term toonie was coined... no pun intended

Two-four.

A case of 24 bottles of beer. '' I'll pick up a two-four for the party ''

Puck Bunny

A hockey groupie. Hockey is an obsession in Canada and many girls go nuts over the players

Double-Double

A coffee with two sugars and two creams as in ''I'll have a dozen doughnuts and a Double-Double''

Michel

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

3 (edited by nadine2 2007-08-18 20:34:31)

In South Africa:

robot :  traffic light

bakkie ( pronounced bucky):  pick-up truck.

dop:  drink ( alchoholic)

braai ( pronounced br-i ):  BBQ

cherie, goose: a girl ( use only if you want a klap (pronounced klup) which is a slap )

stuk (pronounced stik ):  girlfriend or boyfriend

4 (edited by arkady 2007-08-19 07:53:20)

Hi old doll
I'm not sure where the expression came from.
Used here as a meaning for something that's good not really a very nice  one I know.
I thought it was a little amusing as acmecorp described Marmite as tasting like a dogs arse meaning bad.

I prefer it's the cat's whiskers. smile

Ark

5 (edited by last_rebel 2007-08-19 19:59:06)

here's some east texas stuff:

a possum run over your grave= you shuddered suddenly and gave a look of shock/fright

fair to middlin'- means it'll do, good but it aint THAT great. comes from the grades of cotton way back in the day

('im going over there' or 'im gonna do it') d'rectly- means im gonna go do whatever it was i said i was gonna do as soon as i get done visitin' with you

what do you say? (but it sounds more like wadya say ol' boy?)- a lot of old people use this one... its kind of like 'sup

good old boy-  usually means a guy that aint that bad but at the same time he aint that good.... he has a good heart but hes a little well redneckish...  he likes beer and Jesus and hank williams jr. and whoever referred to him as that is probly one of his buddies
EXAMPLE-  "Well, ive known him to have  a beer now and then but he's a good old boy."

tits on a boar hog- worthless, useless, makes no sense. Usually used after "Thats about as good" or "does as much good as" etc. etc. I think this one's pretty easy to figger out, just keep in mind a boar hog refers to a male lol

granhny beads- the drop shaped rings of dirt around your necks and the creases in your arms and legs when you've been working in the dirt

a coon's age- a real long time

"holler" at someone- usually means call em on the phone but sometimes it means pay em a visit

then of course we use stuff like:

crazier than a road lizard

old as methuselah

cold as a witch's tit (in a brass bra as my grandma used to say lol)

instead of thingy or doohicky we say 'deal'
"I broke that deal on there"

anyway theres plenty more but thats all i feel like writng right now.
Some of em i know where they come from and some of em i dont....

All You Need is Love smile