Topic: 12 String Guitar?

Hello name here is Gene.  Am new to this forum, but have been reading for a while.  Got a question for this group.  I am retired and am traveling as a Full Time RVer. Always wanted to learn the guitar, but could not find a steel string neck wide enough for my fat fingers.  Walked into a store and a lady told me that the only wide neck she knew of were 12 string guitars.  So I bought it with the idea of removing the extra 6 strings.  Thought it would be cheaper than having one custom built.  Well I have never seen a 12 string in jam sessions, why?  Anyway, now that my wife has heard this thing, she will NOT let me remove the extra 6 strings.  So now am stuck!!  I have a feeling I have gotten myself deeper into something I cannot play.  It seems to be OK for strummin, but for picken it is harder.  Anyway I only want to play and sing ole country  and gospel tunes anyway, so am hoping this will work.
Any comments from the guys "in the know"?
Comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Gene

Re: 12 String Guitar?

Hi Gene,

I play both 6 and 12 string...DO NOT REMOVE THE OTHER 6 STRINGS!!! The sound of a 12 string is beautiful. I play classical on my 12s so I pick it! It's the same as a 6s but you have more of a choice as to picking melodies. The sound a 12s can make is amazing. I can understand your discomfort on a thin neck. Both my 6 and 12 are broad necks.
Just keep at it, and before you know it you'll be picking up a storm on your 12string!
You can pick the same rythyms or patterns that you do on your 6s. The only difference is now you have more choice!
I found my 12s very intimidating at the begining but now I wouldn't swop it for the world.

Hi Gene,
I began to play on 12s and had the same problem with pickings, so a friend told me to play with fingerpicks. and so I bought some. It was not easy to learn play with that Fingerpicks but if you trie  out to do that you ill see it will be good. You can get those picks in metal or plastic from Dunlop. Try it if you like, today I never want to play without them.

ST800

Let

12 strings were born for strumming, simply cover a pair of strings rather than 1. Picking a 12 string is way more advanced than picking a 6 but if you're a beginner stick with straight strumming.

There are plenty of 6 strings with wide necks, Seagulls tend to have an extra few mills and of course nylon strung classicals are wide. So you could try trading your 12 string once you find one.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Twelve strings can be a challenge.  Try the C.F. Martin GUITAR site and J. Goodall guitars.  A custom maker (Luthier) can customize a wider nut, saddle and fingerboard for your larger hands.  Also, don't give up fingerpicking your twelve; its a challenge, but with beautiful results.

CO

It's not learning to pick on a 12-string that's hard.  It's learning to pick that's hard!  That your guitar's a 12-string is just a wrinkle.  Have fun, stick with it.  I don't flat-pick at all, because it is so hard.  I've been finger picking and strumming.  One of these days I'll feel as if I hit a plateau and learn how to pick.  By then, if you stick with it every day, you'll be picking up a storm and making your wife cry it sounds so pretty on that nice 12-string you've got. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

hello all,

if you look up some of the greatest players  you will find that even some of them have the fattest of fingers and play excellently. I have seen it in person for myself. Don't stress too much about your hand size. and please dont take the strings off of the 12 string guitar. it was meant for picking and sounds great. you just have to take your time while playing. you will find that even if you were learing on a Ukelele that you would learn to play well.

i want a 12 string for some of my more gentle rock ballad songs.....(18 and a life) dont think its good to use a kapo on a 12 string though

Hi Gene,
I've been playing 12 string for 40 years or so. I wore my first one out after 25 years of picking and strumming - mainly celtic music some folk and rock. I have three 12's I play regularly and an electric I play occasionally (I plug in my acoustics).
About BIG hands - I think the more you practice the easier it is to maneuver around the fretboard. (I bet you haven't heard that before ;-) ) Years ago I taught myself mandolin and fiddle and thought that the fret spacing was going to be a problem but with time and practice it came together. In the 60's I players a tenor guitar (4 string) that had loads of room for large hands but I don't think that's the issue.
I visit with some friends at an RV  park who also are learning guitar and sometimes we forget how slowly the process of learning guitar comes together - the 3 guys all started out the same and now after a year or so the difference in them is amazing - it truly helps to have someone to practice with - dulls the pain of sore fingers;-)
Keep the 12 strings on - you won't regret it.

Pete

Gene.

Yeah, I agree...DON'T take those string off.  Your wife is enjoying the great sound of a 12-string and I have the same infatuation.  I play electric guitars mostly (hard rock and metal at that), but I have a deep love for a good 6-string and now a 12-string.  I have always wanted a 12-string and finally got one a few months ago.  I love it and find myself playing it more that my 6-string.  I don't do that much acoustic stuff, but find my 12-string produces such a wicked sound that I play it more and more.  Much more than I intended to.  I have large hands too and fat fingers.  But I have found that the more I play my 12-string, the more I get better at it.  In fact, at times, I feel the 12-string is easier to "fret" than my 6-string.  Maybe because the dual-strings provide a wider point to press down, but it seems easier and I love the sounds I get from it.  I constantly experiment with the sounds I get from my 12-string and it seems to be a neverending suprise of sound.  Keep doing what you are doing and the playability will come to you.  Trust me....You will love your 12-string and come to adore the sound coming from it.  And you can PICK it and STRUM it and everything else too.  If I can somewhat pick (with a pick or with my fingers) a 12-string...I know you can.  It's a beautiful thing, when it all comes together.

Although...your love of it may change, when you have to change the strings.  THERE'S TOO MANY!!!!!!

Gibson Les Paul Studio (customized) * Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom Les Paul "Camo" * Breedlove 6-string acoustic * Takamine 12-string acoustic/electric * Line 6 Spider III 212 150 * Line 6 FBV Shortboard * New tight skin-toned colored Spandex and matching thong *
big_smile

While we're on the subject of 12-Strings...

I've been thinking of picking one up (maybe a Norman or a Guild) because I love the sound. But, I hear from a lot of people that they're rather annoying to re-string and tune. Can anyone shed some light on this problem with their experiences?

Also, could anyone suggest some good brands for these guitars?

Lilliepop wrote:

hello all,

if you look up some of the greatest players  you will find that even some of them have the fattest of fingers and play excellently. I have seen it in person for myself. Don't stress too much about your hand size. and please dont take the strings off of the 12 string guitar. it was meant for picking and sounds great. you just have to take your time while playing. you will find that even if you were learing on a Ukelele that you would learn to play well.

Amen to that!!!

Your larger fingers are a blessing in disguise that you may not know about.
A lot of times, if your fingers are too thin, barring more than one string at a time is difficult. Like with the "A" chord...it requires barring the d-g-b strings at the 2nd fret. I have to use at least 2 or 3 fingers to do it whereas you can probably do it with 1 fingertip.

Larger fingers also help to deaden that upper and lower strings next to the one you are picking so that if you do make a mistake and hit the wrong strings, they won't make any sound...only the one that you want to hear sound from. With my skinny little fingers, I have to make sure that I have everything exactly where it is supposed to be because if not, I have no ability to deaden the other strings cause my fingers are so small.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle