1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2017-06-13 04:44:34)

Topic: What Happened In "You Are My Sunshine".......

....... that the guy who wrote it didn't bother to rhyme the word "arms"? Take a look at it on our favorite site for lyrics and music and tell us what you think?

It rhymes everywhere else, so why not there?

Although it is listed as "Traditional", the writer, according to Wikipedia was Jimmie Davis. I guess it turned "Trad" when no one bothered to renew the copyright, or maybe a copyright can only be renewed a finite number of times?

So what do you think happened here? There are a couple of words I thought of, such as "charms" and "alarm"  he could have stuck in there, but no, he just hung his "head and I cried".

please consider this just a "fun" thread, okay, with no correct answer

"Opie"

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: What Happened In "You Are My Sunshine".......

Bill .............haha true that , never thought of it like that before ........... this is one song we perform at the Rest homes and Retirement Villages ........ now every time i sing that song, i am gonna be thinking of what you said lol

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

3 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-06-16 02:11:46)

It's in a completely different universe from "You Are My Sunshine", but Alice Cooper's "School's Out" had a non-rhyming verse that they actually joked about in the song itself:

"Well we got no class,
And we got no principles,
And we got no innocence,
We can't even think of a word that rhymes."

On the subject of lyrics,you never know what is going to work.
the song that was voted `The Best song in last 50 yrs` in NZ.
lyric goes.
what else can i do
i need some thoughts that are new
Do do do do do do do do do
da da da da da da da da da
de de de de de de de de de

The King Of Audio Torture

5 (edited by TIGLJK 2017-06-17 17:11:57)

Easy beat
At last, a song   I could remember all the words to !

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Easy beat
At last a song a song I could remember all the words to !

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Easy beat
At last a song a song I could remember all the words to !