Re: singing with ye own voice

if i could show you me clapping my hands on this thread then you would see me clapping my hands.
rpscot,
very true on yer post and the way i see thigs too.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

i like really scottish voices, like idlewild (sometimes) or boyfriend/girlfriend. they're pretty good, i try to sing a bit scottish but also fairly legible, but i'm a rubbish singer so it doesn't affect things too much.

just copy the proclaimers, they are easy to imtate, but then maybe with me being scottish i find it eaasy??
And I really hate to hear people trying a scottish accent when they know they are not good at it themselves, but for singing? it might be good?

also on this subject ( and I hope yer reading old doll) Irish!! Phil Lyonett from thin lizzy, he never sang with an irish accent, he sound more american too, but look at the success he had. And also he had a great singing voice. maybe if he sang wth an irish accent no one would have bought the records?
and U2, sometimes bono sound like a martian,lol

Ken

Well, now that I know nationalities, kije BOXER is from Wales and KILT is from scotland as is alvee, the logical question is: can all of you still speak the original language?
Upyer: is the difference between the Scottish and the Irish very clear? Meaning that if you speak, (isn't it Celtic), or read your ORIGINAL language, you can also read and understand Irish?

I think a lot of countries, today, in the America's, developed their own language. There is a difference in writing and pronouncing words, like flavor/flavour, you will find the same development in the Spanish language spoken in South America versus original Spanish.
1 thing, not knowing if I'm right or wrong, the US accent ressembles to the Irish/English.
I live in Belgium, the "netherland's" speaking part, and it is amazing how fast the changes between Dutch (Flemish) and Dutch (Holland) are. I speak about only 30 years. South African "dutch", I can read and speak it, is influenced by African, English words. Probably the same thing caused the US American-English.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hi UYK,
Some where back in these threads there was a discussion about Drugs!
In those post i mentioned i think, PhilL. I had the Great Honour of knowing Phil.
We were born and reared together! I also danced to his" Black Eagles"Band, as far back as 65" I was 15. The little youth Club  Called St Bernadettes" would be jammed for Phil. I still have my membership card!  He was amazing! He always sang with a natural voice. Never known him to sing any differently!
Alas! He was also the first person i knew to lapse into the drugs scene and decline from same. He was one Beautiful Man both to look at and know.

UYK!
I was to fly to inverness Yesterday for a wedding in Wick. My Doc wouldnt let me fly Boo HOO.!!  But 80 of my family filled the plane yesterday morning and flew to Inverness.and were driving the rest of the way. Lucky beggars!
Now My Sons are wearing Kilts to this wedding? As a Scot Is this in your opinion right? Or is  the Celt in them allowed this role.
All the text messaging  im getting is now finished with "Byefrnu! and there only 24 hours there!  Must be catching.....
Byefrnu, UYK. LOL
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hi
I sadly cannot speak scottish gaelis, which does differ from irish gaelic a bit and is different from the welsh.
I do know that scottish pronounce it gallick and the irish is gaylick.
I love songs that are sung in gaelic, no idea what they are singing unless I am told but it still sounds lovely 9 especially when a gorgeous woman with an excellent voice is singing,lol.

It is mostly the western isles that speak gaelic. When scotland and england were forming a union gaelic started to die out. I read about it a lot year ago but I have forgotten a lot exactly why, I think it was something to do with education and how southern scotland spoke gaelic and english then it just sort of happened that people spoke emglish as their first language. Maybe the English governemnt at the time banned gaelic from being taught to take more of their identity away, to make them more british and less scottish? I recall a school teacher tellingme this before, but not too sure how accurate this is.
My personal view is it should be taught in primary school and secondary school instead of teaching 9 and 10 year olds german or french. I have a big thing about this. My daughter when 3 years old in nursery school ( pre school child minding) shewas getting taught spanish!!!! I think that time would have been better teaching them more english,gaelic or math or arithmatics, soething that would benefit them when going into primary one.

Although Scotland has a very good reputtion for education, the best in the UK and gets people from al over the world coming to our schools and universities to learn I think there is something far wrong with eduction if they want to teach 3 year old spanish, something she has forgotten all about now at the age of 7.
I often wondered why america spell words differently when they were used before america was invaded by english,scottish,french,spanish,italians etc. But maybe that is why? becasue from so many cultures they somewhere got thins mixed up to make it easier for everyone, so flavour became flavor etc??? only a guess!!
saying that, things in the english language change too thru time. we dont go about saying thou shall not...... we say you shall not, Somewhere along the line we went from "old english" to modern english, no idea why,
I think the whole world should invent a new langauge that everyone speaks, that way there is no need to learn 3 or 4 languages.
Anyway, this is going off topic, something I do sometimes but hate doing.

Ken

Good Morning DOCPHIL,
How is life with you today? Good i hope!

I dont think the Scots speak "The Irish Language" On my own little island here, we are broken up into 4 regions! Ulster, Munster ,Leinster, and Connaught.  The Accents are so different in each area. Different dialects.
I have found it difficult to understand "Donegal spoken Irish". and yet i can go to the West of ireland and  have no problems there with very basic Irish!
Within each area there are different accents. I have always been told i dont have a real Dublin Accent.! I feel i have and am very proud of it.
Friends in Newfoundland, sound like they have  Irish Waterford Accents, although they have been born and reared their! Something i believe to do with the  Seafishermen, working back and forth between there land and ours!
I also feel some of them were trading more then Fish somehow! lol.
My sister who lives in HOLLAND 30+ years, speaks Dutch fluently, but with a Dublin Accent! Lovely to listen to.
Some people do spell phonetically, which i have no problem with! Understanding them, and being understood is more important to me!

Now RockDoc a wee bit of Irish for you!
Barróga agus Póga Mó Cára.   { Hugs and Kisses My Friend} Now dont you just love the Irish spoken language!!

This is where i should be today!
Scotland..
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=fs0DmP_qo-I

Hey guys, I feel genuinely lucky in that I decend from both Scots and Irish lines. Scots of the West Highlands from my paternal Grandmother and Irish from my paternal Grandfather. Unfortunalely Gaelic died out in my family with my Great Grandfather and even more unfortunately it has now become a minority language in Scotland. However, just like Ireland the accents and dialects can change dramatically within only 30 miles or so. Don't you just love it!

By the way, Kilty, I was up your way the other day. Nice. I hope you never got food poisoning from the dodgy take-a-way.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Hi alvee
Are you the pastor of the church shown on your website?
or just a member.

Reagrds
Ark

Old Doll wrote:

Now My Sons are wearing Kilts to this wedding? As a Scot Is this in your opinion right? Or is  the Celt in them allowed this role.

some would say it should only e scottish that wear them, others say only scottish that belong to a clan ( with a true scottish name)
but I tihnk most people dont really care.
I would be decented from th Clan Campbell but I never wear the Campbell tartan. I like "flower of scotland" tartan. A tartan that is relatively new. Also the I like the black watch tartan.
It was said to me before if you do not belong to a clan then you should wear the royal stewart tartan ( the most common red checked).
Bu I think ye'll find most scots dont mind and take it as a compliment if a non scot want to wear the kilt.
Just dinny wear any knickers underneath, it gets too hot. And stand up proud when urinating in the toilets ,lol.

Ken

alvee33 wrote:

By the way, Kilty, I was up your way the other day. Nice. I hope you never got food poisoning from the dodgy take-a-way.

Na, I only eat in there for special occasions, ( it costs a fortune but yummy)  ithink they are so dear since Walter Smith and other celebs eat in there sometimes. ( for those that dont know, W.Smith is the Ranger football club manager)
I am only a 15 minute walk away from there but I got another cantonese restaraunt 5 minutes away from me and it is about 10p cheaper ,lol.

Ken

Well UYK,
My 2 six footers are big womans blouses! as they bought 2 Tartan Tongs on the net to wear under the kilts for a laugh!  These tongs  were so tiny, i imagine they are both having there teeth flossed at this stage of the day! lol
or at least walking funny!

Old Doll.

38 (edited by alvee33 2007-08-19 15:01:02)

arkady wrote:

Hi alvee
Are you the pastor of the church shown on your website?
or just a member.

Reagrds
Ark

lol

Just a member, mate. The webmaster is an awfuly nice chap. Plays guitar and recommends Chordie at every oportunity. wink

Hope you liked the site. Feel free to leave a message in the guestbook. Cheers.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Upyerkilt - have a listen to Karine Polwart singing I'm Gonna Do It All for a good Sturlin' accent.
Cheers
Col

40 (edited by upyerkilt 2007-08-20 17:16:32)

thanks Col, will do if I ever get it.  iwill see if it is downloadable later.

and welcome to the forum, yer no that far away from me.
I am in balloch.

Ken