1 (edited by Classical Guitar 2017-08-08 10:51:01)

Topic: Right Leg Or Left Leg When Playing

Classical guitar players use their left leg when playing because it keeps their left hand at a more comfortable angle for picking. Steel string players usually use their right leg. I have heard some great steel players who finger pick and play on their right leg.

I play on my left leg however I keep my leg flat and do not use a leg lift because I find them uncomfortable.

Is it the neck length on a steel string or is it the way you have always played?   Do any of you who finger pick play use their left leg? How do you play?

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Re: Right Leg Or Left Leg When Playing

In college my instructor had me use one of these little fellas in order to keep hips aligned and avoid use of a foot rest https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Support … r+leg+rest

Today I generally use the right leg but will kick that leg up to get the guitar in a better position. Or I will use a strap while seated. Occasionally I will also use the left leg.

I try and play in a multitude of positions to keep it fresh and not become trapped and uncomfortable in new situations.

Right unless my shoulder hurts.  Then I support the guitar by a strap in the center of my body.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Right leg for me. I'm self taught and the right leg just felt comfortable. There was no one around to tell me any different.

Steel String, Finger-style.... usually with a strap (it's that Ovation thing) and centered or legs crossed on the left (top leg).  Kinda a cross between classical and folk position with the neck a bit higher than most strummers.  I'm self taught so just do whatever's comfortable at the time.  smile  I also use a lot of second, third and fourth position Barres so don't notice much effect from scale length between my Ovation and something like my 12 string Dread..... been looking around for a baritone (37" scale) to try out, but them's scarce as Hen's teeth around these parts. big_smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I am glad that some of you use the center for position more than I have realized.  Thank you .

I probably use my right leg the most, but as I play a lot around riverside camp fires, I'm often sitting on camp chairs, coolers, rocks/boulders, tree stumps, etc when playing so its often a challenge to find a comfortable position. Left leg, right leg, waist on leg, lower bout on leg, with strap, sans strap - what ever works......

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Yeah. Sometimes my waist comes to rest on my lap when sitting too...

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:

I've seen you indulge in quite a few adult beverages Zurf, but I don't remember ever seeing you "waisted"...... big_smile

DE

10 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-08-10 17:54:38)

I use a strap 99% of the time, which enables me to hold my guitar at about a 35-40 degree angle to the ground (this is essential), with the lower bout between my legs, and the top tilted slightly outwards at the bottom. If lowered, the "waist" of the guitar would be close to resting on my left leg. If I'm using the classical guitar without a strap, then it's always on the left leg. I was never taught how to play a guitar, so just tried different things until I found a position that helped everything work comfortably.

I also prefer to sit on a higher stool than a chair, and rarely stand. Here's me holding my Cordoba in pretty much the position I play it:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/AOfsfwI4kMIT4IPrnGRdjN2IaOjloB1EAWE0t_buk7E_jsGkLNe9U_sMgt3e6fRq2g2susEeGH7cqEUp2G9LkRSzgVdS2C81ttR0eo2zVN2Etk7jn8bOPWyyRbDA0sf7A_ADRtVTpsUUMyvSrVs0Vl_xV9s_Uh5wUGHtqMC9r78bUIQkhWTYK02fQFFaTIgIcPar7tnkAAblPvJ2lPdfLMlpst8POUAaSUYM3fmmx5fmrvxyCcj8M_nqSoPrSWLr5EKTXTJk8JBJCwMI9kJcLpuMcyb6Sk0zm5P2rAT-zpYeCU592IZO9ieQaWETVyNIfIzextebyjvYlJcQWWx-Reh83Jog5I6-24-QM4c2OaudxaDH1pWEJp-ukeqmiYiNKIEH9vAn0XTnkAZoTKTSzzBuWtEqF3xPU2L0HWKky5f4kFCpUUwblMfhmBqMwlmV8fBBn0vMTSxIodEvXYH9Naifbn7fyWANz-zr2fAkh1gLRa9to6IUajYXH85d3H2TqL6JzUw-AN-7yy5dkLH6M8F_fRXC7ps2eGyHrc05mf4y3SaAlvMJpkyt0NwcmcjN-wCel1S2x65FqqflRHGdjKFjcAMJq1biT6Tk995roEV0DVwvQcANldt4=w1080-h810-no

Dirty Ed wrote:
Zurf wrote:

I've seen you indulge in quite a few adult beverages Zurf, but I don't remember ever seeing you "waisted"...... big_smile

DE

You may be forgetting the time that you and I were the only pickers down on the New.  Al A was there, as were a few others but most particularly Alvin and Gameboy stick in my mind.  Roger and I were sharing a good bottle of hooch that night.  About 2:00 in the morning, I'm guessing, I fell asleep in my chair while holding my guitar.  It was you moving your chair and having all the bottles fall over and clank together that woke me up. That might count. Then again, it was the third night of late nights, early mornings, and days spent in the sun on the river, so maybe not.

12 (edited by Classical Guitar 2017-08-10 23:16:18)

Tenement Funster good picture with your  Cordoba D10-CE  and you hold it in a good position to play. I just  bought a Cordoba C10 classical and so far really like it. I did change the strings to D'Addario EJ45 Pro-Arte normal tension.

TF, I couldn't help but notice how much your Cordoba looks like my old LAG T100DCE that I took to the backyard gathering in New York.  Same body, bridge and head stock shapes.

DE

Mostly, I play with the guitar resting on my right leg... but sometimes on the left.  Sometimes with legs crossed (right over left, or left over right), sometimes not.  It's just whatever feels most comfortable.  The songs that I pick out that are "piano" songs (ie:  not just picking "that one pattern" that I know), I do tend to rest the guitar more on the left leg.  I guess that's more the "classical style".  But when strumming and chopping it's always the right leg for me.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I use a soft top both  stool when I practice at home and when I do a concert and both allow my feat to stay flat. Years ago I went to a concert by a great player and he used a left leg lift and after he played for an hour and stood up his left leg was numb and he feel when he tried to stand. So I have never used a leg lift although I did try one for an hour and I found it very uncomfortable.

Some use a chair to play in concerts and the back of a chair is a good way to bang up a good guitar.

16 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-08-12 13:30:34)

Classical Guitar wrote:

I use a soft top both  stool when I practice at home and when I do a concert and both allow my feat to stay flat. Years ago I went to a concert by a great player and he used a left leg lift and after he played for an hour and stood up his left leg was numb and he feel when he tried to stand. So I have never used a leg lift although I did try one for an hour and I found it very uncomfortable.

Some use a chair to play in concerts and the back of a chair is a good way to bang up a good guitar.

CG ... I also tried using a small box as a leg lift, and found it very clumsy. So now I simply roll my right foot on it's side, and put my left flat on top of it. Itworks fine, and is very portable big_smile , although It would be painful if soccer cleats were worn.

right or strap.  Like ujb, self taught and no one ever told me different

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer being self taught is most likely more normal than getting instruction. Most play a Em with two fingers and I still play it with one finger so I can reach some other chords more quickly. When I play from normal sheet music I play more traditional for true classical music. I still enjoy playing 60's and 70's music for my own enjoyment.

19 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-08-15 09:55:59)

Steve Howe (of Yes) often uses a stand on stage to switch from the guitar he's carrying to another one during a song. I tried this once in a music store with an M-Brace (http://www.mbracestand.com) and it was far more awkward than I could have imagined.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaHlOMZQwP_1TI0ac8oDBGMKzNFpgJW9bius3owC0f5dEvemaF

Hmm... Dnt think there are any IMPORTANT "rules" how to play right... Pls watch how Sungha Jung, Tommy Emmanuel, Igor Presnyakov plays... In fact the most often I play like this:  without any stands, stools or tilt angles...