Topic: Tele neck Strat body

Just started building a new guitar ,Strat body Tele neck.I've wanted to do this for a while as I love the feel of my Tele neck .Got all the bits now so I'll see how it goes together.First thing is the Tele neck has a flat squared off end as opposed to the curved end of the Strat ,so I will reshape the Tele to match the Strat profile and make sure it sits properly in the body.The thickness where it fits into the body seem to be the same so as long as I get it positioned right I don't see any major problems.I'll let you know how it progresses.

Re: Tele neck Strat body

The only critical part about changing the end of the neck is to accurately measure your scale length to the bridge and adjust that mounting accordingly.  Hopefully your body is not pre-drilled so that should not be much of a problem.

Have Fun !!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Sounds like an exciting project, I wish I had the guts to do something similar. Russ Harding has built several guitars, maybe he can give you some pointers if you get stuck? Doug is also a master of many talents and I'm sure there are quite a few others on here too. Can't wait to see the results.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I've done many builds in the past ,my first was in my teens when I fitted a Hofner neck to a Wilson body .This hybrid was my main guitar for many years

Good to hear from you, Graham ... and glad to hear you have a new project on the go. You've had a grey Tele we've seen in some of your vids over the years; is that the neck you're using?

No its a new one .I wouldn't change any thing on the grey one its set up perfectly

Update on this project.For some reason the alignment of the strings  is wrong the top E ends up at the edge of the fret board and the not on E is about 4 mm in.,back to the drawing board for now .

Graham

That was the exact problem I had on the guitar that i tried to  from scratch.

The low E string was fine down at the pickup end of the neck, but close to the edge of the neck up by the nut.
On the high E string it was just the opposite. What I had to do was adjust the angle of the saddle  and Bridge. 
That made the spacing correct. However I still can't great sound out of it - too much vibration in strings. I think it has to do with poor placement of fret bars.
It was my first (and only ) attempt at guitar building.....   and I did it without any knowledge of guitars at the time.   I may try to build a new one this inter now that i actually understand how an electric guitar works.  good luck with your project.

Have you been performing at all ?  Haven't seen any new videos of late.

Take care

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Been pretty   busy   lately Jim.  Did  4  gigs  last week  2 more this week   . I  haven't   done  any  vids  recently  or  made any  recordings  .Hope  to  soon .

Graham ...

It almost sounds like the neck isn't hitting the guitar's body straight on. Try looking from the strap button at the bottom end of the guitar, straight down the neck to the headstock. If the neck swerves to the right even a bit, that would cause the string alignment problem you describe. Hopefully there's enough "play" at the bolt-on joint to loosen it a bit, and then make this adjustment.

http://pad3.whstatic.com/images/thumb/d/d7/Set-Up-a-Guitar-Step-1-Version-3.jpg/aid164720-v4-728px-Set-Up-a-Guitar-Step-1-Version-3.jpg

It's like the slot is machined about 4mm too high  .When I put the start neck back in it lines up perfectly  I found a vid on YouTube showing a similar problem.I might check one of my other Strats t o see if it's the same

I tried building a guitar once with piano strings, a toilet seat and a broom handle but I couldn't get any tension between the 4 inch nails....I was 8 at the time.

Good luck with your project hope you can get the strings to align. I was going to suggest the same as Jim. Sounds like the bridge is slightly wider than the bottom of the neck or positioned off centre?

Hi Graham ... just wondering how you made out with your neck alignment issues?

Been a bit unwell again so I haven't done any more yet  .

Sorry to hear that Grah, get well soon, Chordie and YouTube are missing you

It's my on going lung problem Phil had a cough for 9  weeks now ,I managed to do a gig at Harrogate last month but had to spray my throat with anaesthetic and suck vocal zones through out ,so I'm not doing any thing else till it's cured now .

just come down with something similar myself Grah, though the wife says she likes the gruff, bass-y sound of my voice? so I asked her "what would you prefer; a sexy voice or gig money coming in?".....she changed the subject....women!

Sorry that you're not well Graham and Phill.  I wish you each the best of luck in recovering fully and quickly.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks Zurf, it seems to be breaking up now, I'm spitting out some very Halloween-ish gunge. Hoping my voice comes back soon. Apparently we have a nasty flu strain on it's way from Australia.
Grah, try my wife's recipe; whisky in hot lemonade with a good dollop of honey and slice of lemon. It tastes awful to me as I hate whiskey but it certainly does the trick.

Had stays and blood tests yesterday Phill so maybe they will come up with a solution ,meantime the whisky option seems a good idea .In Crete we used to do raki ,honey and lemon with cinnamon which was really good but I can't get the raki in the UK ,perhaps I should make a still and start brewing.

I once brought a bottle of Raki home from Turkey but my son decided to take it to a party at his mates house...he got legless, he was only 12 at the time. I think he learned his lesson? If I still had it I'd send it up to you. Have you tried Amazon? they seem to sell everything.

Turkish  raki  is  a  different  drink  to  Cretan raki  Phill  ,Cretan Raki   is distilled  from grape skins where as  Turkish raki  is  more  like  Greek  ouzo   or  French  pernod  ,an aniseed  flavoured spirit  ,Italian grappa  is  close  to  Cretan  raki  .True  Cretan   raki   is  only  made  on  the  island  its other  name  is  Tsikoudia . Ive  only  seen it  sold  commercially  in  Greece  under  the  trade name  Haraki .We  used  to  get it   by  the  gallon from  the  local  distiller .

i stand corrected. i thought raki was raki wherever it came from, now we know better. i hate aniseed anyway grape skins sound much better, cos i love grapes.

I am not much use on the guitar front but having married into a Greek family I find Metaxa  a great relief from lung problems.  If I don't have Metaxa any Brandy seems to work.
Traditionally, brandy because of its anti-inflammatory properties had been used as an effective means to relieve respiratory issues, such as coughs or sore throats. The strong alcoholic content can help eliminate bacteria and loosen up phlegm and mucus, thereby acting as an expectorant. Up in the north of Greece around Thessalonika in the Village where my inlaws lived people would melt a teaspoon of Honey in a little bit of hot water. They would then add some  lemon juice then top it up with Metaxa or Brandy..     
καλή υγεία good health.

Now that's somthing I can get hold of in the UK ,great suggestion Peatle.I didn't know about the anti inflammatory properties of brandy.