Topic: When Y'all Use The Transposition Engine, Do You...

...... find that the section of semitones you use most often are:

1. The + semitones

2. The - semitones

3. About even for both

4. I don't transpose

Thanks, and Pete, I know I still owe you a listen over on the Cloud and I'll get there, okay? smile Meanwhile Dondra and I are still "blown away", with the song you sang for the both of us.

Y'all behave till I get back. We're about to move into a smaller apartment, so the two of us will be busy beginning later today.

Thanks

Bill and Dondra Craig

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: When Y'all Use The Transposition Engine, Do You...

Hi Bill,  For me it's usually + something.... mostly to get away from those darn flat chords and once in awhile - if I know I can capo to get easier chord forms for the notes I like to pick around.  I can see why lots of finger-style guys use altered tunings, but if I can, I stay with standard and try some other work around.  Picking patters get kinda "fixed" in your brain and I'm just too darn lazy to re-train for just a couple of tunes.  big_smile

I'll try to send you some background music to listen to while un-packing.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks, Doug

Dondra and I are both looking forward to unpacking and the music fits too smile

Question: How does one know when to use a capo? Is it guesswork, try and fail kinda stuff.

"She Who Must Be Obeyed" sends hugs to you and  Janet and ALL of you! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

4 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-09-01 09:51:11)

Great question, Bill ...

My main reason for transposing is to accommodate my bass voice, so I'll bring it down a couple of semi-tones so I don't sound like a squawking goose. In particular, David Gilmour's and Paul Simon's voices are higher than mine, so I have to move their songs down a bit. Brad Roberts (Crash Test Dummies) and Leonard Cohen are right in my range, so anything of theirs I play sounds better.

As already suggested, it sometimes an advantage to change the original key to accommodate a capo. Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) write / plays a lot of his music in E or F, but he'll capo at the 2nd or 3rd fret so he can use the D-shape for some of his signature "twiddly bits". Mark Knopfler does the same to work with his vocal register.

Bill

I use the transpose to get me to the easiest way for me to play - comfortable chords.   Then after I get it down sometimes I'll go back to the original chords.

As far as getting it in a range for my voice ----- Lmao -  It really doesn't matter cause I can't sing for a hoot anyways. I'm sure it's important for real musicians however.
I use the capo a bit when I'm trying to get a certain sound - for instance when I play Galway Girl By Steve Earle I move it to 5th fret to get a  Mandolin/Uke sound.

Congrats on getting settled in your new digs.  Always a pleasure to hear from you and Dondra.

Best wishes to you both.

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I use plus minus about equally.

I transpose to find a key that does not include B chords. Or, if I have to use key of E for example, then I always play B7 or Bm.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

As for the when and where to put the capo part of the question....  I'm kinda with Tig, 5 or 6 for that Uke-like sound (too darn old and cheap to buy a real Ukelele). big_smile

Most stuff by America usually capo on 1,  Landslide by Fleetwood Mac (originally in Eb I think) capo on 3, and I've found that most tunes originally scored for Keyboard sounds better capo'd on 2 and played as scored for piano (at least sounds best with accompaniment on the "ivorys").  Kris Kristofferson stuff usually goes down better (for me) with the capo on 1 as well for some reason...

Most folks I think use it to adjust to their singing range, mine hovered somewhere around Bb for a long time, but as we got older it kinda wandered all over the place.... most days it's "hit or miss", with more of the latter. wink   If in doubt start low and go up one at a time until you find what's comfy, if that don't work, transpose and start over, if that don't work take it out of the "set".  big_smile  Or find someone who CAN sing....

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

TIGLJK wrote:

Bill

I use the transpose to get me to the easiest way for me to play - comfortable chords.   Then after I get it down sometimes I'll go back to the original chords.

As far as getting it in a range for my voice ----- Lmao -  It really doesn't matter cause I can't sing for a hoot anyways. I'm sure it's important for real musicians however.
I use the capo a bit when I'm trying to get a certain sound - for instance when I play Galway Girl By Steve Earle I move it to 5th fret to get a  Mandolin/Uke sound.

Congrats on getting settled in your new digs.  Always a pleasure to hear from you and Dondra.

Best wishes to you both.

Jim

Thanks for the song suggestion! had never heard that but it has that D he likes so much in copperhead road big_smile,  now a new one to learn. the 12 makes a nice mandolin sound capoed on 3 or 5.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Gidday Bill
I use capo to stop me getting in a rut.
A friend told me recently to tune one of my guitars down 1 tone.( D i think)
i did this and i hated the sound,but after playing a while it is now my go to guitar.
can still play all the usual chord shapes,but it has an interesting sound now.
so think i`ll always keep one guitar tuned this way.Love It!

The King Of Audio Torture