Topic: Bluegrass gospel song from last rebel....

Okay i already know what a lot of yall think about christian music, so i don't want to start a debate board i just want to put out this song i wrote last night.....

CAPO 3rd
G
The hand of death
      C              G
is    drawing closer

Soon I must go
                    D
To that far shore
                              G
But please don't weep
             C       G
For me   my  brother

I'm going where
     D           G
I'll cry no more

CHORUS:
            C                 G
I am going over yonder
            C             G
Never more to roam

I am going to be with Jesus
D D7                   G
      I am going home

My road on earth
was full of troubles
Blood and tears
have stained the path
But I am going 'cross the river
To rest my weary soul at last

And though my tears
Could flood a river
And my heart was torn and dry
There is coming a morning
When He shall wipe my final tear from my eye

Bluegrassy rythym... anyway comments/suggestions? big_smile

All You Need is Love smile

Re: Bluegrass gospel song from last rebel....

I really like this song Last Rebel...you know your username is the name of one of my favorite Lynyrd Skynyrd songs.....represent!

"Fly on Proud Bird, At Last You Are Free"
-Charlie Daniels

Last Rebel,
There is always room for song/words like this in my space! Thought prevoking!

Well Done!

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hey Reb - Good stuff - Reminds me of where I grew up.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

5 (edited by arkady 2007-08-21 20:01:15)

Hi rebel
Has a negro spiritual feel about the lyrics.
Not knowing much about bluegrass.
Nice.

Ark

Hey Ark - If you want to hear bluegrass go here:

http://www.myspace.com/rhondavincent13

She sings purty and is one of my favorites

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Rooster3 wrote:

I really like this song Last Rebel...you know your username is the name of one of my favorite Lynyrd Skynyrd songs.....represent!

i like ur signature dude,... charlie daniels wrote that i think.

Thank yall for the compliments... personally i think it had more of a ralph stanley type feel but yeah you could change the rythym up and make it sound like a spiritual, not a bad idea actually i might try that later. big_smile

I loves me some bluegrass.

I hates me some cappoed chords with the wrong chord markings.  big_smile

If you're cappoed at the 3rd, you're not playing a G.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

You're not playing IN G but you are forming a G chord with your fingers. Its actually in like 4 flats so change it if that makes you happy but I can't hit a Gb yet. The main reason i capo it is because i can't sing that low, but you can play it anywhere you want to....

last_rebel wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

You're not playing IN G but you are forming a G chord with your fingers. Its actually in like 4 flats so change it if that makes you happy but I can't hit a Gb yet. The main reason i capo it is because i can't sing that low, but you can play it anywhere you want to....

That's my point, you're not playing a G chord.  You're playing an A chord, a step above G.  It's a G shape, but it's not a G chord.  G is a closed chord shape (as are C A E and D).  You can play it anywhere on the neck by barring it, which is what your cappo effectively does.   

Chords are not the shapes you make with your hands.  Chords are the sets of tones produced by your hands.   There are many ways to make the same chord.  You have discovered one of the ways to make A:   Closed G shape at the third fret.

And all transposition problems aside, that's a wonderful song.

yeah well.... lol im just an ignurnt self taught yokel, and i was TRYING to make it clear for everybody... i think maybe i should study more on this subject. Thanks for the tip & srry for gettin' agitated lol

That's OK.  I'm just up on my theory soap-box as of late.  Most folks will get what you mean.  I just like to see the chords written as is, because I rarely play with a cappo, and prefer to barre instead. 

For bluegrass it makes sense, because %99 of bluegrass songs are using that G C D progression played at the nut.

jerome.oneil wrote:
last_rebel wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

That's my point, you're not playing a G chord.  You're playing an A chord, a step above G.  It's a G shape, but it's not a G chord.  G is a closed chord shape (as are C A E and D).  You can play it anywhere on the neck by barring it, which is what your cappo effectively does.   

Chords are not the shapes you make with your hands.  Chords are the sets of tones produced by your hands.   There are many ways to make the same chord.  You have discovered one of the ways to make A:   Closed G shape at the third fret.

Sorry to be a stickler but the guitar teacher in me is coming out. If one capos a G form chord at the 3rd fret one is playing an A# , not an A. Sorry Jerome?..
I used to be an anti capo guy.Since I play most of my gigs solo acoustic, the capo is really a "hand tireying out saver". It also enables one to obtain a fuller sound, unless you're capo is above the 5th fret, then it gets real tinty.
There's a guy out there by the name of Trace Bundy. He uses multiple capos with notches cut out in different locations in the arc of the capo. He's really worth checking out.

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Sorry to be a stickler but the guitar teacher in me is coming out. If one capos a G form chord at the 3rd fret one is playing an A# , not an A. Sorry Jerome?..

Gah!  Good catch.

I used to be an anti capo guy.Since I play most of my gigs solo acoustic, the capo is really a "hand tireying out saver". It also enables one to obtain a fuller sound, unless you're capo is above the 5th fret, then it gets real tinty.
There's a guy out there by the name of Trace Bundy. He uses multiple capos with notches cut out in different locations in the arc of the capo. He's really worth checking out.

I'm not anti-capo.  I just like to see songs written using the chords that are being played, rather than the chord shapes being played.   So in this instance, he's still not playing G, he's playing A#.

a taste of whats to come for all of us,good lyrics,if chords dont match another players way of playing they can always edit to suit...

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

yeah  i was playing around and the g shape in 2nd fret sounds like A to me....
All of this has got me thinking maybe i should try getting lessons one of these days.

My apologies.  You're a "she" not a "he", correct?

Either way yo play the chord its the meaning in the words thats supposed to catch ur attention on this site, correct?  since its not recorded on here we'll rely on a great work by last rebel!

Good Job!

-Charlie Daniels

yeah im a 'she' lol

Rooster3 wrote:

Either way yo play the chord its the meaning in the words thats supposed to catch ur attention on this site, correct?
Good Job!

Well, no.  Not for me.  With the group I play in, the only songs to which I know the words are the ones I wrote.   Everything else is "lalalalalalalala"

For me, it's the music that matters.  Lyrics are completely interchangeable.

rebel....that was cool...I like it....

jerome.oneil wrote:
Rooster3 wrote:

Either way yo play the chord its the meaning in the words thats supposed to catch ur attention on this site, correct?
Good Job!

Well, no.  Not for me.  With the group I play in, the only songs to which I know the words are the ones I wrote.   Everything else is "lalalalalalalala"

well lat ti da for you jerome......that's your opinion and your as welcome to it as i am to mine....  sure the chords and riffs  in a song are supposed to set the tone of the work of music or song in many cases, but in the words of someone i heard one time......"If you can't say what you mean, then you can't mean what you say"...lyrics are the direct representation of how one feels and it is shown in how they are sung and how a song is worded..............sometimes what you say is more important than how the chords flow.....if a song relies on sound alone to speak for the artist then what is the point of trying to say anything at all????

-Charlie Daniels

24 (edited by jerome.oneil 2007-08-25 05:19:08)

Rooster3 wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:
Rooster3 wrote:

Good Job!

well lat ti da for you jerome......that's your opinion and your as welcome to it as i am to mine....  sure the chords and riffs  in a song are supposed to set the tone of the work of music or song in many cases, but in the words of someone i heard one time......"If you can't say what you mean, then you can't mean what you say"...lyrics are the direct representation of how one feels and it is shown in how they are sung and how a song is worded..............sometimes what you say is more important than how the chords flow.....if a song relies on sound alone to speak for the artist then what is the point of trying to say anything at all????

Hey genius, since my complaint is specifically about the chords not being correct, you might try to consider that whining about lyrics isn't really germane to the discussion.   So when you say something like "the meaning in the words thats supposed to catch ur attention on this site, correct?"  You should prepare yourself for the answer to be "No, it isn't."  If you're so hung up on lyrics, go write poetry.   The name of the site is CHORDIE.  You might try to deduce where that came from.

La-di-da's ass.

25 (edited by last_rebel 2007-08-25 20:07:04)

jerome.oneil wrote:
Rooster3 wrote:

Good Job!

I'd quote the other responses too but thats a lot of trouble...

WHat you have to do to be a true master:

Make folks cry when you play AND SING
Pay your dues
MOAN THE BLUES
Bend the guitar strings....
make folks feel what you feel inside. - the supposed ghost of Hank WIlliams lol

see i can be a smart A$$ too