Topic: Eros guitars

I've  just  picked up an Eros  model 412 ,12 string  circa 1966-1970   serial  number 187.Now  I  know  these were  made in  Italy by  EKO  guitars  but  Id  like  to  confirm  the  date  it  was manufactured  ,so far  I  haven't  been  able  to   find any  info  on this  particular  model .If  any  one  has  any   info  I'd be  grateful.

Re: Eros guitars

Perhaps this will help Graham,  http://www.fetishguitars.com/le-marche-brands/e-ros/
The low serial number might put it into that Spring '66 series, and there is a bit of variance in the make-up (design) within the model that should give a clue as to the quality and sound you should expect...... could be a "dog" or a "show-stopper" depending on your ears.  Good Luck with it !!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

That is an interesting site Doug. I was able to find out about my Italian made Melody 1200 12 string who also made guitars for EKO.

Graham can you post a picture as I am very curious as to whether there are any similarities to my 12er?

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Yeah I'll  post a pic Doug .It has a trapeze  tail piece an adjustable bridge ,a zero fret and an aluminium nut.Sounds good.

Sounds like a good one !!  I really like trapeze tailpieces on 12s, greatly reduces the stress on the top and allows for lighter bracing on that side which relates directly to more resonance and volume.  In my research, there was also comments about some having dovetailed necks and some bolt-on... with that latter not sounding as nice.  Also several references to some with two truss rods (perhaps prior to dual action trusses, with one adjustable from the head and one within the body) I'm curious.  Looking forward to a few photos !!

Adjustable bridges were quite common in the 60s and 70s especially on the 12s.... mine has one.  But I don't have the trapeze bridge, but wish I did.  The top has this un-godly "belly" from the stress on the "pin saddle" that I'm going to have to address now that I have repaired the split braces on the underside.  Seriously considering doing something like what Breedlove is doing in their newer guitars with that under-saddle brace and rod to the butt-block.  Hydration and time hasn't done much to improve the profile and as of now it is almost unplayable without a slide.  wink  Even with only 6 strings installed in a light gauge.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

This has a bolt on neck similar to my ranger 6  the action is as low as you would ever want . single truss rod . The body is  a traditional shape not a jumbo  .I suspect the neck ,sides and back are mahogany  and a spruce top  as it is similar in weight to the ranger. I'll sort a pic asap

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/imag … 38a373.jpg 
This is a link to a pic I found online