Topic: Supportive Kiwis

Gidday
I`ve noticed on many soundcloud tracks eg originals & chordie song of mth.
the only chordians that bother to make a comment are myself/Peatle & Jan.
Many chordians are only here to take,there is very little giving.Having said that there are lots of lovely people here.
Of course this is only a personal view.hope i haven`t pissed too many people off stating it.
look forward to your replies?

The King Of Audio Torture

Re: Supportive Kiwis

Sometimes I "like" and post on soundcloud, sometimes I make a comment on chordie. I must say I don't listen to every recording, but when I do, I usually comment - from the good ole USA. I don't participate primarily because I cannot stand to hear my poor singing and playing, but if you come to chordiestock, I'll certainly belt it out!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I usually will comment on this forum (if any) but always refrain from making commentary on Soundcloud and such as it usually requires one to "set up an account" albeit free, which I flat out refuse to do and will not, even to look-up car parts !!  I fly so low out in "webland" it would take "Doppler Radar" to find a footprint.  big_smile

But I do check out the posts and listen to the tunes, and leave the commentary to folks with "better ears" than me.  smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

4 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-10-28 09:41:22)

Hello, Easybeat ...

I haven't followed the "Song of the Month" thread because I'm not a participant. Like most Chordians, we develop our regular threads which we follow on the site, and are likely missing out (as I am) on the rest of it. Please don't take the absence of comments as a critique of your work in any way.

My two weekly posts in "Tuesday's Flying Fingers" and "Prog Rock Wednesdays" and don't often get comments except from a few. But I know there's others who peek in because the "Views" number grows steadily, so at least others are enjoying the songs posted. I enjoy putting each week's entry up, as I know Badeye does with his "Friday Blues Fix" (over 9 years now!). Whether it's our own material or someone else's, it' all about sharing the music we love.

5 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-10-28 10:30:24)

I prefer the love of my wife  more than the applause of other people. I don't construct my identity from music. If a person is down then they need support. Encouragement is for when your down. I have found Chordians to be very supportive people when it is important. We  all have diverse musical interests  and it is not always possible to comment on every post.

Gidday
thanks for the replies,i don`t think i made my point very well.
I guess what i was trying to say is something like, it would be nice
if there was more of a community feel of support for all.
More of a conversation,the closest we get to this is the wonderful
support Bill gets through his rough times.
But the same doesn`t really apply to peoples music making.
hope this makes some kind of sense.

7 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-10-29 01:53:00)

EB  Maybe a better word would be uplifting? There are suportive or uplifting  people everywhere in the world it all depends on  what touches your heart, Though I am not good  at  giving to something that is not in  MY self centered area of interest, it does  lift people if we do the unexpected.. Maybe this short two minute video describes what you mean by supporting people???  This video shows a guy giving a Rose seller on a New York train  140 dollars for 14 dollars worth of roses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVzAC7mLxJw

Another example of been supportive.
Charles Francis "Chuck" Feeney (born April 23, 1931) is an Irish-American businessman and philanthropist and the founder of The Atlantic Philanthropies, one of the largest private foundations in the world. He made his fortune as a co-founder of the Duty Free Shoppers Group, which pioneered the concept of duty-free shopping. Feeney gave away his fortune in secret for many years, until a business dispute resulted in his identity being revealed in 1997. Over the course of his life, Feeney has given away more than $8 billion.
Feeney is known for his frugality, living in a rented apartment, not owning a car or a house, and flying economy-class. Now that is true support for people.

Kāore te kumara e kōrero mō tōna ake reka
The kumara (sweet potato) does not say how sweet he is

Loving the Kiwis.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I had a New Zealand sheep farmer boss one time, and he was nothing but a con artist. I'm frankly delighted to meet some kiwis who are good-hearted, supportive, wonderful people.

Also, if I ever get to the South Pacific with a guitar, it's good to know there are a few campfires where I'd be welcome.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

easybeat wrote:

Gidday
thanks for the replies,i don`t think i made my point very well.
I guess what i was trying to say is something like, it would be nice
if there was more of a community feel of support for all.
More of a conversation,the closest we get to this is the wonderful
support Bill gets through his rough times.
But the same doesn`t really apply to peoples music making.
hope this makes some kind of sense.

It does. Some of my messages go direct. I have very much enjoyed Neophytte coming in strong as a new participant. Beamer's joining in a bit too now, which is cool. Sometimes my messages go direct, but to your point so that others can see them, I'll put them in the public messaging.  I had not considered that aspect until you pointed it out. Thanks for that.

Zurf
hey thanks for reply.it kinda stuck me that your last two songs
only me/peatle & jan congratulated you on your fine effort.
I think if we got together we would have a few beers & have a great time.
i could add a few bum notes & average music.
I`ve had some great conversations behind the scenes with Chordians.
Like all nationalities there`s good & bad,just seems on chordie we are more appreciative than some.

Well after reading through this post, i think i get the point your trying to make easybeat.

After thinking about it, i guess i would have to say i like getting comments, whether good or bad, not for my ego or to feel puffed up or in some cases deflated lol lol but comments/feedback give the singer, songwriter, musician a general feel of how they are doing, how they are improving, where they can improve, what works, what  doesn't work.   So yeah i think it is important to give feedback to the person/persons. 

I like to give feedback/comments to people after they have posted their song/music/songwriting skills etc ..... I think they have taken the time and effort to do this, then yep they deserve some feedback.  Mostly I am able to give positive comments, occasionally I might make a suggestion  I think might help them make it better (not that i am any expert i might add and you all know lol )

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

I try to make comments where possible - however one thing I've noticed is that when I click on a link, I go outside of the forum pages, and will listen to the songs on my cruddy $2 earphones (at work), usually I'll flick around some other windows, and when the song is finished I'll close off the window (depending on the site ... SoundCloud I'll usually close fast as it goes into other songs, which don't always reflect the current selection (ie I go from listening to acoustic guitar straight to a new wave dance tune), YouTube isn't so bad, but I might get a "10 fascinating facts about <insert something>", then I'll be down that path for a while, and I'll forget to come back and comment ...

I'll strive to make more comments, because I do listen ... just get distracted in the process .... and I'll try to right-click for a new window first ...

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic