Topic: New Student

I had a new student start yesterday, probably the cleverest one I have ever had. A retired rocket scientist with a masters degree in mathematics. So, after teaching him the 'G' and 'D7' chords and finishing with playing 'Tom Dooley' (OK it was very slow and hesitant with gaps at chord changes but we got there) he turned to me, with sweat running down his brow, and said:

"That was the hardest hour I have ever had in my whole life............. It was also the most enjoyable".

I can live with that. lol

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Re: New Student

I usually find people who are good at maths excel at music (however, not all have the muscle memory/co-ordination required) ... tell him to join Chordie!!

smile

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

If he needs to learn how to be a hoarder, send him my way.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

If he needs to learn how to be a hoarder, send him my way.

lol JJJ ... you kill me, man ... too funny! lol

Quite a nice compliment Roger - good for you!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

neophytte wrote:

I usually find people who are good at maths excel at music (however, not all have the muscle memory/co-ordination required) ... tell him to join Chordie!!

smile

I agree, they seem to grasp the concept of interval quicker when delving into that "mysterious" realm of Theory.

Good on you Roger for making your lessons "Enjoyable"!!  When his fingers are bleeding and hands are cramping, a little humour and fun will be appreciated I'm sure.  Your other students that we have seen, are a testament to your skill as an instructor, and do you credit. smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Roger, I have never had a student to sweat. I must be doing something wrong.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Never sweated a lesson, but the first time I played at Jerome and Alan's basement I was sweating bullets and nervous as could be.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Classical Guitar wrote:

Roger, I have never had a student to sweat. I must be doing something wrong.

Better introduce calisthenics!

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

beamer wrote:

Never sweated a lesson, but the first time I played at Jerome and Alan's basement I was sweating bullets and nervous as could be.

I was sweating when Roscoe Jones said he liked my finger-picking and asked me to join him in his turn at open mic at The London Bus Pub. Nothing like improvising finger pick lines in public with one of the guys who invented the genre! Fortunately, the entire "public" at the LBP that night were friends.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Great story Roger. Must be immensely gratifying to get a response like that from a student. Congrats!

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Today, many new opportunities are opening up for students. But there are big challenges ahead. Lack of time is the main problem.     

Lack of imagination too! The last post in this thread is from 2017. No reason to ban yet, but we're watching!     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.