1 (edited by ctech 2018-02-03 10:56:52)

Topic: The awakening

This is a song I wrote from the perspective of
my pre christian saxon ancestors and how
it affected my beliefs.  No offence intended.

The awakening                            6/8 Time

Esus4

Verse 1
Am   Amadd11/G     G           E
'Twas last night I had a dream   
           Am                  G6         Am       
I was resting by an old oak tree
            Am          Amadd11/G    G          E
When appears a one eyed       wanderer
        Am       G6                     Am         
And this is what he said to me

Chorus
Fmaj7/A   C/G        E           Am       
Cattle die                kindred die
                Fmaj7/A          C/G                  E
Only the deeds of good men will live on
       Am           C/G E                   Am       
So don’t be afraid to live your life
Fmaj7/A     C/G G6add11 Cadd9/E    Am
  Falter and it      will            be              gone

Verse 2
      Am                Amadd11/G            G                     E
As I ponder the words that this old man had said
      Am          G6            Am       
He told me stories of old
        Am            Amadd11/G    G                    E
Of a corageous folk      so strong and so true
             Am             G6      Am         
Living  Pure and simple  lives

Verse 3
            Am    Amadd11/G        G       E
Then along  came             Christianity
            Am          G6                             Am       
Like a plague it swept through the lands
                 Am     Amadd11/G           G     E
Bringing death, torture   and          misery
            Am               G6         Am         
Killing the natural spirit of man

Repeat Chorus

Verse 4
      Am   Amadd11/G      G               E
I awoke with the       sun in my eyes
        Am                  G6             Am         
His words ringing inside my head
   Am          Amadd11/G   G                  E
I made an oath to           rethink my life
              Am              G6            Am         
And to honour my ancestral dead

Verse 5
         Am               Amadd11/G     
I will strive to be strong
           G                  E
I will strive to do right
                    Am      G6              Am         
And never cower away from truth
      Am       Amadd11/G         G          E
To live my life by       the natural laws
              Am   G6           Am         
And to die if I’m fated to

Repeat Chorus twice to end

© Trevor Scrivens 08/01/2018
https://soundcloud.com/user-415450650/the-awakening-1

Hard times create strong men,Strong men create good times,Good times create weak men,Weak men create hard times.Cantwere rice INVICTA!

Re: The awakening

Excellent song,looking forward to hearing how u do it.

The King Of Audio Torture

Cheers easybeat after I've learnt the song without mistakes I'll record it.

Hard times create strong men,Strong men create good times,Good times create weak men,Weak men create hard times.Cantwere rice INVICTA!

Tenement Funster  Fair enough.

5 (edited by ctech 2018-01-12 16:28:42)

I did a rough track easybeat so you can get an idea of how it will go. The 2nd verse isn't right plus I forget to breathe which put me off note but hay ho. Let me know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/user-415450650/the-awakening-1

Gidday Ctech
i hate when we do an original & people say hey thats like so & so.
because it`s not, it`s you.
Having said that i`m a great fan of fairport  convention & this song
is a similar style they have done.
great subject matter & song,excellent performance,leave it as it is.

The King Of Audio Torture

Thanks easybeat. Was trying to make it sound folky. I'll check out the group you mentioned. Thanks again for your input. I'll leave it now as writen.

I like it! left a note on SC.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Cheers Beamer, much appreciated.

Really enjoyed that,well done. Took me back to my folk music days in the 60's. I'm guessing you've been reading Bernard Cornwell books too? They're brilliant.

Good song well performed

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Thanks phill, (I just wish I could do my own backing like you do so well) I was hoping to get that sound. Wait till you hear my next one . I wrote today. It's got that feel too. Just hope I don't upset any one with subject matter. As with this song no offence intended.  I haven't read any books may look the writer up now you've said. Thanks again Trevor.

Hi TIGLJK it''s about how pre christians were treated and my awakening to the old ways. The one eyed wanderer is woden ,cattle die kindred die is from a viking poem. I hope that makes it more clear.
Trevor

Being a Celt, or at least Welsh, it's quite possible that your forefathers pushed mine out of what's now called England. How could events that happened 1500 years ago cause offense? It's all part of this countries colourful past.

If you're referring to the religious aspect? Religion along with politics is a taboo subject here so don't worry about it.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

14 (edited by ctech 2018-01-15 13:27:14)

Cheer phill I'm pretty sure I'm not 100% Anglo saxons ,but as you are proud of your heritage I am proud to be a man of Kent.
I had my dna done came northern European with a small bit of southern and eastern European.

I have three welsh names being Trevor Vernon and David given to me by my grandparents.Also loved rock climbing in North Wales as a teenager and love your meat and potato pies.

I find people are so easily offended now a days that why i say "no offence intended"

As for song writing we should express what will see and feel.good or bad.

Hi. Ctech
I enjoyed your song.
The past is the past but it is a worthy subject for a song.
well done.
ark

16 (edited by ctech 2018-01-16 13:17:43)

Hi ark its been along time. Thank you much appreciated. I can get a bit controversial. There are songs I've writen I could never put on here and never will.  Sometimes the truth hurts and in today's world I find little truth because no one wants the responsibility it brings. I'll come down of my box now. Glad you enjoyed it.

Any song that is a bit controversial has in fact done what's it's meant to, cause people to think, react, talk about etc ...... Just like protest songs and such. 
So with that in mind, regardless of the subject matter, your song has done just that.

Well done, very much a folk song which is what you wanted to achieve and have done.

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Thanks Jandle, I went to a chirstian school,church ever morning and Sunday school and saw the merits in Christianity back then, but in this day and age I feel the pre-Christian  belief suits me better. I doesn't mean I hate Christians I'm just following a different path.

19 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-01-17 19:59:29)

Ctech first time I have looked at both or your latest song. Challenging lyrics on both. I went to school until I was fifteen so my learning on life is through experience,  travel and reading so I am no expert on this.  I can see them  making some people uncomfortable which doesn't make them bad. Debate is good and sharing differant views. can only help people form their own ideas, Having said that no one  has questioned your lyrics yet but I suspect they will.
Obviously all religions have sacred histories and narratives, which aim mostly to give a meaning to life. which I am sure we all respect. Most will accept things done in the name of religion that are bad don't always reflect people who practice those  faiths or  beliefs.  Perhaps, a common factor in history  no matter our race or where we are from  is our ancestors hope of immortality made those warriors face death without a tremor.  No matter their  religion they believed, that cowards would miss the bliss of the future state.  AMONG all the problems with which man has busied himself with,  none so appeals to his hopes and fears as that of the future life. Is there a farther shore, and if so, shall we reach it? Few races in history, if any, have doubted the existence of a future state, but their conceptions of it have differed greatly. Of course today in the Western world many peoples perceptions on life have changed. I don't have an answer but it saddens me all the powers of the world spend millions making weapons to kill. The arms trade a big money earner. Peace ,love and goodwill lost to power and greed. Maybe I have it wrong, I think the average person on this planet wants to live in peace. Confucius said,“He who conquers himself is the mightiest warrior.“  Every culture around the world has had some form of power and corruption in it's history. Good that your writing about it in the good Folk song tradition.

nice - I like it!!!

Cheers

Richard

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

21 (edited by ctech 2018-01-17 09:07:49)

Thanks Peatle Jville that was a long read. I believe the pre-Christians held personal responsibility highly. The nine noble virtues. It saddens me that most of what they believed has been destroyed. 

I grew up in a religious community as a child ,I felt safe ,contented and loved how close and helpful  people were. Move on till now and your own are not cared for there is no community everyone is fragmented,I'm scared to death for my children and grand children the world they will inherite is an ugly place.  We live with delusion that we will all be one and get along but anyone with there eyes open can see this not to be true.we are living through the last days of our great civilisation.  It happened to the Romans ,the Greeks ,the Egyptians and now us.
I belive like you the common man and woman want to live in peace but the media,government and religion wind them up,makeep them crazy. That why I have no TV, I don't buy papers,and I have no internet (only on my phone)just no 24/7 feed. I hope this makes sense. I apologise for any errors in my writing. A last word"All it takes is for good people to do nothing for evil to previal" Trevor

Thanks Richard glad you liked it.
Trevor.