1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-01-17 10:55:53)

Topic: How Many Guitars Do You Really Need?

There's an interesting article in this month's "Guitar Play" magazine about this subject:

https://www.guitarplayer.com/technique/ … eally-need

Many of us have (admittedly) more than we need, but there is always that compulsion to try something else, whether it for the sound, the looks, or just 'cuz we gotta have it. Yes' guitarist Steve Howe is said to have over 200 in his private collection, 125 of which are discussed in his 1993 book.

So ... why do we amass / collect / hoarde guitars?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qeCqvzqLuzU/hqdefault.jpg

2 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2018-01-17 15:53:39)

Re: How Many Guitars Do You Really Need?

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

How can you speak such blasphemy.?? The answer to your question is "All Of Them". .I did read the article. I am also thinning out my collection.  4 have been sold. 6 are on consignment.  The money from the consignment goes toward another guitar.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

4 (edited by TIGLJK 2018-01-17 12:33:40)

I keep hoping that the next guitar I buy will make me play better - still hasn't worked but I'll keep trying !   smile

There always seems to be that one song that sounds great on THAT guitar - and therefore I can't sell it.  ( Especially true  of my 12 string Fender acoustic)

The biggest drawback as far as I'm concerned is that why sell it- you will  NEVER  get the value for it that you paid.   I went to guitar center to trade up - took my epiphone Les Paul which was a fantastic guitar - I wanted to buy a Telecaster -    the were gonna give me $30 on the trade.  I told them I 'd rather give it to one of my high school students for free rather than be embarrassed by that offer and walked out of the store .  And I did - next day I gave it to a freshman in one of my classes that was beginning to play guitar.

JJJ -     keep on keeping on !

remember these famous words of advice ....
"never sell your guitar for what you told your wife that you paid for it originally  "
" you can always get another wife"

and lastly - here is an almost true made up story......

JJJ's  favorite girl Chris told him he had to get rid of some guitars.  Because he is a bit incapacitated of late with his vision issues, JJJ says why don't you bring into the living room half of my guitars and I will pick some out to sell.  Chris says just a second and starts moving all the living room furniture into the "Great Room", where the guitars are stored. Lastly she leads  JJJ  into the same room.   JJJ asks what are you doing ?  Chris says - it was a whole lot easier to move you and the furniture than it was to move 1/2 of your guitars !!!  smile  smile  smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

The correct answer is "just one more ...." wink

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

I need another guitar to have a high action so that I can start to learn slide more readily. I was thinking of a hollow body electric.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

My approach to guitar buying is largely utilitarian and based on filling a function rather than just having them to have them. I have three acoustics, all the same model. Guitar 1 is the guitar I learned to play on and got when I was 5-6 years old. It's very important to me and I rarely travel with it. Guitar number 2 is same model and I use it for traveling. Guitar 3 is also same model and I use it for a stage backup or when I have acoustic jams at the house.

I have a strat-style guitar for rock playing, a tele as a stage backup to that, a semi-hollowbody for jazz and blues, an SG-type guitar with humbuckers for heavier songs. Finally, I have an electric traveler that I use to keep guitar withdrawals away on long vacations and long work trips (of which there are many).

And that's it. I also have a lap steel but I consider it to be a piece of home decor.

My WTB guitar list is also small. I want a high-end acoustic. All the acoustics I've ever owned have been in the sub-$300 range. I want a really nice taylor or Tak or Guild acoustic.  And I want an electric acoustic nylon string guitar because I have 0 nylon string guitars.

BGD  wrote "And I want an electric acoustic nylon string guitar because I have 0 nylon string guitars."

holy crap I gotta get me one of those too ! :  smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

neo -    EXACTLY !!!!

I agree with neo ! Just one more. I was down to 3 and now at 6. But I like what I have and don't really lust for anything special. Not to say the hunt is over. I'm always looking.

Vince Gill at his home studio.  He has a few guitars.  https://youtu.be/ImE5k_OoMIY

What I like about this is somebody asked him about his most valuable guitar, which he pulled out and tuned up. Then someone asked him about his favorite "go to" guitar, and he handed the most valuable guitar to the closest person to play.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

ZURF
Holy wow !!!!   
I would have loved to just be sitting in the chair watching that - it doesn't get any better thatn that = bare feet, in a relaxing atmosphere and singing and playing from the heart.

Thank you for that !  It is awesome.

Jim

I just wonder of all of those drawers have two guitars each in them like the drawer that he pulled the first guitar out of.

One day I'll count all my guitars ... wink

I have 4, that meet my needs.  A 12 string Concert Dreadnaught..... more of a "tuning trainer" but some tunes just sound better on 12.  The Ovation Acoustic/Electric, go-to guitar that travels well, is almost indestructible and with effects will do most everything in the repertoire.  The Epiphone ST175 solid body, which has served me well for many years, just think Strat with Gibson PUPs dual tone and volume pots and switched like a Les Paul in classic sunburst. Finally a nylon strung Classical, because sometimes you just need that mellow tone that no "effect" can replicate.

There are a few that catch my eye once in awhile, but if I really wanted it I'd own it or build it, and that is not a high priority at this stage of life..... maybe a banjo or Mando....or Fiddle?  smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

The last one I bought because it was unique. It's a 1994 Orville ES-335.  Orville is Japan's made by Gibson brand. It is a Gibson in every way. What I liked was the pickups were actual Gibson and the headstock was Gibson with the Flowerpot inlay. Gibson Spec's all the way. Doing research I found most experts say it's better quality than Gibson's of the same period. It plays and sounds like a dream. Although it has had a fret job done. The Luthier who did the fret job said it belongs in a museum. It was a happy unexpected find.
So again my answer is "Just one more !

Just one more is too many and a hundred isn`t enough. Lol.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Tyson
I looked that up - there is one for sale for just under $ 2000   

Nice guitar  ya got there!

JJJ 
Great line !

smile

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

That's a real beauty, JJJ ... gotta be a poem / song written around that one. With your permission, I'll see what I can come up with.

Great stories, everyone!

20 (edited by bluejeep 2018-01-20 11:47:44)

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Reminds me of my drinking days.  Thankfully those days are far behind me.  As for guitars, ain't ever had to many.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

All of them. After some thought, and realizing that even if I have my own guitar with me I still borrow of there's one available, I realized that I need all the guitars.

Tenement Funster wrote:
joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

That's a real beauty, JJJ ... gotta be a poem / song written around that one. With your permission, I'll see what I can come up with.

Great stories, everyone!

It is a Nick Lowe song. Not about guitars. That is where I got it from. The song ---- Ones too many and a hundred aint enough

Enjoy Every Sandwich

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:
joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Great stories, everyone!

It is a Nick Lowe song. Not about guitars. That is where I got it from. The song ---- Ones too many and a hundred aint enough

I don't know who said it but I heard that phrase 29 years ago at an AA meeting.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

It is a phrase that can and has been used in many instances

Enjoy Every Sandwich

I've seen a pretty nice Fender all metal resonator on eBay ... just one more?? ....