1 (edited by ctech 2018-04-10 21:13:57)

Topic: The Lone tree

This is a song I wrote to honor my great grand fathers
Brother Joseph Farnes who died at the Battle of loos.
On the 25 September 1915 3 months short of his 23rd
Birthday. Three brother went to war only my great
grandfather William Farnes returned but died of TB
at 33 years old.

The Lone TreeUndefined

key C capo 2nd fret

copyright18/02/2018

verse 1

[C]Joseph was just[Em] twenty-one[Am] when he went to[F] war

[C]Fighting for king and[Am] country[Dm7] on some foreign[G7] shore

[C]On the day he[Em] left his mother[Am] bowed her head and[F] cried

[C]His father stood their[Em] proud as his[F] battalion marched on[C] by

verse 2

[C]First to go into[Em] battle to[Am] Flanders he was[F] sent

[C]Youngest of three[Am] brother’s[Dm7] all strong Men of[G7] Kent

[C]He fought at "bloody"[Em] Ypres where his[Am] regiment gained their[F] fame

[C]After those iron willed[Em] men[F] wintered in the mud and[C] rain

verse 3

[C]In March he fell[Em] wounded and for[Am] one month he found[F] peace

[C]he returned and fought at[Am] Aubers ridge[Dm7] which ended in[G7] defeat

[C]And sadly at the[Em] battle of loos just[Am] shy of twenty-[F] three

[C]Joseph was cut[Em] down and died in the[F] shadow of the lone[C] tree

Instrumental

C             Em               Am              F     C                 Am          Dm7         G7
|--3--3--3--3/6--3--0-----------------------0----------------------0--0--0--------------------------|
|--1----------0-------------3--1--1--1--3----------1--1--1---3---------------2--3--3--3--1--3--|
|---------------------------------2-------------------0-----------------------------------2------------------|

C            Em                Am              F     C                Em            F              C
|--3--3--3--3/6--3--0-----------------------0----------------------0--0--0------------------------|
|--1--------------0---------3--1--1--1--3-----------1--1--1---3-----------------1--1--1-----1--|
|---------------------------------2-------------------2-------------------------------2-------------2-----|

Play only on strings 1, 2, 3

verse 4

[C]Joseph Farnes stands[Em] etched with many[Am] names upon a[F] wall

[C]Long lost distant[Am] memories of a[Dm7] cruel and bloody[G7] war

[C]Sometimes I sit and[Em] wonder how he would[Am] view our world to[F] day

[C]Would he still pick [Em] up his gun and[F] give his life that[C] way

[C]Joseph was cut[Em] down and died in the[F] shadow of the lone[C] tree

©Trevor Scrivens18/02/2018
https://soundcloud.com/user-415450650/the-lone-tree

Hard times create strong men,Strong men create good times,Good times create weak men,Weak men create hard times.Cantwere rice INVICTA!

Re: The Lone tree

I am almost moved to tears reading this. And I wonder if the greedy men that orchestrated that carnage slept soundly in their beds....I hope not!

I suppose you could argue that killing and warfare is the way of the human race, it's a wonder we haven't gone the way of the dinosaur?

You've captured in words a great story with feeling and eloquence. It must have been awful losing his brother, surviving the war only to die of TB later.

Some great songs from you and Jim today

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

3 (edited by ctech 2018-02-18 18:46:11)

Thank you Phill,  he lost his other brother Robert Farnes too when the Hythe had collision with another ship. Sad time for all.I just posted a first time singing it so a few mistakes but you'll get how it goes.

Hard times create strong men,Strong men create good times,Good times create weak men,Weak men create hard times.Cantwere rice INVICTA!

4 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-02-18 20:27:21)

Trevor that is one powerful song well writen sung and played perfectly your lyrics move me.. That war impacted us here in the South Pacific in a big way also.
Your lyrics are spot on.
Joseph Farnes stands etched with many names upon a wall,
lost distant memories of a cruel and bloody war
Sometimes I sit and wonder how he would view our world today
Would he still pick up his gun and give his life that way

Joseph Farnes stands etched with many names upon a wall. Beneath those pastures of Flanders  where he also fought still lie tens of thousands -  even hundreds of thousands, it has been estimated - of young men cut down in the bloodiest of bloody wars and most of whose bodies have never been recovered.
Even today some bodies are still being found. For every life lost there is a story. Author Rudyard Kipling lost his only son John on his first day in battle over there. Kipling spent three years looking for his son's body which was found only after Rudyard's death.
From Flanders came the poppy.
The red poppy has become a symbol of war remembrance the world over. People in many countries wear the poppy to remember those who died in war or who still serve. In many countries, the poppy is worn around Armistice Day (11 November), but in New Zealand it is most commonly seen around Anzac Day, 25 April.The red or Flanders poppy has been linked with battlefield deaths since the time of the Great War (1914–18). The plant was one of the first to grow and bloom in the mud and soil of Flanders. The connection was made, most famously, by the  Canadian,  Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae in his poem 'In Flanders fields'.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders field

5 (edited by ctech 2018-02-19 09:16:12)

Thank you Peatle Jville much appreciated. The picture on sound cloud is pastel done by a soldier of the actual tree where Joseph and meny others died.
Harry patch "The last fighting tommy " said the truth : War is organized murder and nothing else” ...“Politicians who took us to war should have been given the guns and told to settle their differences themselves, instead of organising nothing better than legalised mass murder.” ...“Irrespective of the uniforms we wore, we were all victims”

I wanted to honor one of my greater family ,men and women I have great respect for I have pictures on my mantle of some of them. People come over don't understand why ,they say you didn't know them.I just say they are part of who I am and that's enough.

Thank you for your imformative post. Like you say there are meny stories like Joseph's." Lest we forget"

For the Fallen

Poem by Robert Laurence Binyon (1869-1943)
With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Solemn the drums thrill: Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres.
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.
They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.
But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;
As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain,
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.

Laurence said in 1939 that the four lines of the fourth stanza came to him first. These words of the fourth stanza have become especially familiar and famous, having been adopted by the Royal British Legion as an Exhortation for ceremonies of Remembrance to commemorate fallen Servicemen and women.
We here in New Zealand use that that forth stanza to remember those of our nation who have fallen in war

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

These words are used here to on remembrance day. They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them. Thanks for posting I've never read the whole poem before. Very moving.

8 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-02-19 01:52:50)

Our day of rememeberance here in New Zealand  is ANZAC day held on the 25th April every year,
Gallipoli - Memorial at Anzac Cove Turkey  has these words by Ataturk on it.
"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives…
You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours…
You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk who words  are used on the Memorial  was  a past President of Turkey.
The significance of the Gallipoli Campaign in the first world war is felt strongly in both New Zealand and Australia, 
The  Gallipoli Campaign  is often considered to be the beginning of Australian and New Zealand national consciousness; 25 April, the anniversary of the landings, is known as "Anzac Day", the most significant commemoration of military casualties and veterans in the two countries, surpassing Remembrance Day (Armistice Day).     
Gallipoli was a costly failure for the Allies: 44,000 Allied soldiers died, including more than 8700 Australians. Among the dead were 2779 New Zealanders – about a sixth of those who fought on the peninsula. Victory came at a high price for the Ottoman Empire, which lost 87,000 men during that campaign.
Eric Bogle – And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda is about Gallipoli and what happened to the guy in that song. It also mentions ANZAC Day.

THAT IS A SUPER SONG.  WELL PLAYED AND SUNG, TERRIFIC, BUT HORRIBLY SAD  SONG

THANKS FOR SHARING

jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

10 (edited by ctech 2018-02-19 11:38:32)

Thank you Jim , My aunt has been looking into the past family members and had left a folder with my Father with all the  infomation she had found out. In there was a page written called the fighting Farnes as I read it these words stuck in my head "The lone tree" (the actual tree was cut up for keepsakes but they planted a replacement on the very spot) I said to my dad I'm gonna go home and write a song for Joseph and this is the result. It is something that touches the heart and soul of every European also some from other parts of the world that fought along side us.  I just hope I've done him justice.

Peatle Jville My other great grandfather William Scrivens fought at Gallipoli and he returned home to later see off my grandfather Frederick Scrivens at the beginning of world war 2. It's a tradition of old Kentish families going back to Saxon times to be first into battle. It was once a privilege given by a king. I still have a original photo taken of him and two mates. A cherished item.

You can learn a lot from TV. I have seen many documentaries about Gallipoli and other wastes of life brought about by our so called leaders?
I think it was Haig who was in charge at Gallipoli, the ANZACS were meant to charge in after the bombardment ended keeping the Turk gunners heads down, but the bombardment ended early but Haig insisted they went in anyway! We all know the result. I don't blame the Turks I blame Haig who was safely hidden miles away from the killing ground. And he was the celebrated hero???? Give me strength

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill I think Gallipoli was Winston Churchhills biggest disaster lucky for him his atempt on the beaches of France in ww2 went better.
Way back in time king to common man fought together unlike now a days they are not so honorable.

A very moving song ctech well sung and played.
As my grandfather served and thankfully survived all of the WW1 this song was particularly moving for me.
I remember sitting on his bed listening to his stories of life in the trenches and to my shame being bored by them at time (I was a stupid teenager)
Now much older and hopefully more wiser I understand what we owe these brave men.
My father served in WW2 and thankfully I took notice of his stories and experiences and I have an almost complete record of his times during the conflict.
They are both gone now but I'm so proud of what they did.

15 (edited by ctech 2018-02-19 11:57:13)

Thanks ark In our world of blame and hedonistic pusuits I wonder how long it will be before they are fogotten or they pull down their monuments as is happening in America at moment in the south. Absolutely wrong and I for one will fight to the death to stop it happening to ours.

It's miracle anyone come back from that carnage and those that did had lost limbs suffered shell shock and probably had horrific nightmares. How could anyone live with the hell they witnessed ? They were a special breed of men.

Excellent song Trevor. Very emotional. Thanks for sharing.

I wrote one a few years ago about my great-grandfather who was ambushed and killed January 12, 1865, while returning from the battle of Saltville in southwest Virginia.  He was the last battle casualty of the 39th KY mounted infantry before the American Civil War ended. He left my great-grandmother Joanna alone with 4 children to care for.

Peatle,  " In Flander's Fields" is a poem every grade school kid had to memorize back when I was young. After 60 years I can still recite it. Thanks for jogging my memory.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

17 (edited by ctech 2018-02-21 10:46:46)

Thanks DE . Intresting story about your great grandfather.  I would love to hear your song if you recorded it.  All those monuments to the civil war being pulled down in the name of political correctness is so wrong. They start that here and there will be hell to pay.

18 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-02-20 10:01:53)

That is absolutely amazing, CTECH ... this deserves a place amongst some of the best songs there are about human conflict.

However it's phrased, war seems to always be started by some monster wanting to impose his will on another people, and to take their stuff in the process. The rest of us can then either (a) let the monster do it, or (b) defend those who can't defend themselves.

How do we answer that? It's something I constantly wrestle with. The first step is to be on guard that I don't become the monster.

Thank you for your kind coment.Much appreciated Tenement Funster.  I would say the monster these days is already in our back yard.

i missed this some how, great story Cteck

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Wow I think it has all been said by everyone else but a fantastic song, touching, well written.

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Cheers mojo01 it was a pain to write, fitting the story in without over doing it . I think I got It right and it was also weird writing a song without a chorus.

23 (edited by ctech 2018-02-21 13:32:35)

Thanks Jandle this song is close to my heart being it's about one of my kin. If I can get the money together I would like to get it recorded proffessinaly.