1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-03-04 19:21:26)

Topic: Meridian Microphones by K&K

Is anyone here familiar with K&K's "Meridian" acoustic guitar microphone?

http://kksound.com/products/meridian.php

I've yet to hear an acoustic guitar pickup that sounded like a real acoustic guitar, and regular microphones dictate that a person sit in one place for consistent sound. I put a K&K "Pure Mini" system in a Larrivee I had and sold (on MKM's advice) which sounded quite good, but something like this could move from one guitar to another.

Any experience with these?

Re: Meridian Microphones by K&K

That’s interesting.  Id think it better for a one man show than with a band due to signal bleed. Let us know if you try it out!

I'm with BGD on this one, find a dealer and try one out on your favorite instrument and let your ears be the judge.  I really like the minis, and have installed and used them for several years.  Although the Meridian is unidirectional,  it is still a microphone with all the stuff that makes microphones less than desirable in some settings.  Most of the time when performing solo, a majority of us will be fairly stationary (ie: sitting or standing) rather than wandering all around the stage, in which case there are tools (mics) already in the "kit" that will work as well without the additional "overhead" ($$$).

Just my opinion, others will vary.  smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Interesting and sounds great on the video but I could install four K&K Minis for the price of one of the "pro" Meridian models.  I wonder if the mic can also pick up vocals while playing.

I've installed 3 minis in my guitars over the years. The instructions for the last one I installed recommended a different position for the pickup on the treble side.  This has resulted in too much treble (for my ears).  Has anyone else had this problem?

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Dirty Ed wrote:

I've installed 3 minis in my guitars over the years. The instructions for the last one I installed recommended a different position for the pickup on the treble side.  This has resulted in too much treble (for my ears).  Has anyone else had this problem?

DE

Not yet, but it has been a couple of years since my last install..... I'll have to check out the "new" installation sheet to see if there is any reasoning behind changing something that has "worked well" previously.

Thanks for the heads-up.  smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-03-05 12:35:13)

Dirty Ed wrote:

Interesting and sounds great on the video but I could install four K&K Minis for the price of one of the "pro" Meridian models.  I wonder if the mic can also pick up vocals while playing.

DE

That's good point, Doug ... except that if the Meridian works, it's easily moved from one guitar to another, so one unit would cover all guitars. I don't know about the vocal issue you raise. I guess I gotta find one somewhere and try out to be sure ... as usual.