Topic: Testerday at Guitar Center

Yesterday I stopped at my local Guitar Center because I needed some cables.  My local store entry area was completely remodeled. No room what so ever to get into the store. The checkout was right as you enter. Total congestion.
3 different dudes were playing electrics all at the same time as loud as they could and each doing a different song. The noise as it was not music , was just grating to my nerves. Who could possibly enjoy the shopping experience. I got what I needed and got out. My wife even commented , I can't stay in here. The way the amps were set up it made the store look like a rummage sale.  I see why a lot of customers are moving away from G.C.

Re: Testerday at Guitar Center

I’ve always disliked that store for the reasons you list and more

There used to be a great little shop downtown called Gracewinds Music, who are sadly out of business.  On the main floor, were all the Pianos, Organs, Guitars,accessories etc; and in the Basement.... all the Amps, Cabs, and a whole level of soundproof booths.  You would grab something off the wall upstairs and wander down to the lower level (usually followed closely by one of their well educated/helpful staff) , where you would be allowed to choose your amp and speaker(s) of preference and your "assistant" would handtruck the gear into one of the rooms, hook you up & turn you loose to damage your OWN ears !!  Want to try a Marshall??  No Prob, your guy/girl was right outside to move it around for you, and if you wanted lessons, they would be taught one-on-one in those same booths by appointment.  That level of Customer Service is exactly why they didn't survive..... I miss them.
sad sad

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

4 (edited by Classical Guitar 2018-03-18 23:06:58)

Doug we had a locally owned guitar store for years. It is where I bought my first classical guitar. He was open until he got to old to keep it open and his son kept it open. That lasted a year and the store was not the same, so they closed.

The closest Guitar Center is an hour away. I went there one time and they did not have in stock what I wanted. I looked around for some time. I then went to the better classical guitars and played two of them in a "special room" and he went with me there. The guitars were not at all in turn r and I turned one of them by ear. When I played  Classical Gas his comment was "I did not actually think you played." That is when I left.

I still order on line from the Guitar Center warehouse. Because of how much I have bought I get a very good discount that I can not buy from any one else and get the price at any other store.  I do not like the store I visited but the warehouse ships very quickly and I list their product number and so far there has been not a single mistake.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

There were two stores I used to go to that had rooms for you to play loud. Sadly they closed also. I do order on line but I needed TRS cables and didn't want to wait. I do most of my guitar related shopping at a different store but it 10 miles farther.