1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-03-29 22:55:43)

Topic: Question/Comment On "The Chet Atkins "Thumb".

Y'all  know what I mean, right? That's what I call it, and I notice it being used by many fine artists.

I know that many guitarists use this style of playing the lower 2 (3?) strings and I think that's just fine. Why not use all available fingers if it suits you and makes your tune sound more awesome?

My question is: Has the "thumb" ever become enough of a style to be accepted and included in the "How To Play Guitar" books? Do you think it ever will in the form of writing the words "an alternate position of the chord hand is using the thumb"....."?

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Question/Comment On "The Chet Atkins "Thumb".

For smacking chords, the pad of the thumb provides a much warmer sound that plucking thumb and fingers , or hitting the strings with the nails on the finger. 

For fingerpicking I couldn’t imagine many practical scenarios in which bringing the fingers up to the e or a strings provide a benefit unless you’re transitioning from finger picking to strumming.  Just my opinion though.

I just reread your post and realize I misunderstood it.  I learned the thumb technique in school so I think it’s very much a recognized technique by music pedagogists.

4 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-03-30 02:36:46)

My "hanging" words together to make a sentence isn't working too well these days, BGD, so sometimes the words come out as a kind of "jumble", and take 99.9% of the blame. You ol' "pedal dog" , you!  smile Oh! That's PedaGOG!  Sorry. Or would you rather be an "Ollie-Garg"? smile

Your friend smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Are you talking about "hanging thumb style"??  I've been accused of doing that.... a habit from years ago playing a 12 string and looking for an easier way of getting a "clean" sounding barre chord with all those tight strings pushing back.  Of course it does help to have big hands to wrap around the neck.  As for IF it is taught or just 'learned" I have no idea,  sometimes it just works and that is the important thing at the end of the day.  smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare