Topic: this small town

The other day i watched an interview with James Taylor.He talked about life & music. I was very moved by what he had to say.
He talked about songwriting,he said go ahead do it.He also said allow yourself to be vulnerable.
I just love writing songs,it gives me huge satisfaction.But lately i been keeping them to myself as often i`m pretty embarrassed
by the end result.
Now having been inspired by the words of James Taylor i`m going to `allow myself to be vulnerable`
https://soundcloud.com/rough-as-gut/this-small-town

The King Of Audio Torture

Re: this small town

You got a good tune going on the guitar and your singing works good.

Easybeat
Can you post lyrics and chords ?

I liked the tune a lot , but I thought the sound of ( whatever it is) the kinda screechy thing took away from the guitar and your voice.
Other than that I thought it was very good.  Keep them coming.

PS  what was that sound ?  smile

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Nice song. Keep writing , the more you do it the easier it becomes. You will develop a system that will help you write. I have written a lot of songs and not all are great songs but most will be good and a few no so good. Don't worry about how good you think they are. You will be surprised how many people will like one you don't feel is good. Have fun with the experience of writing and bringing a new song to life. The more you write the more you will want to write. Enjoy the journey.

Tig
that screechy sound is this amateur guitarist moving fingers on strings.
as i usually do i just jammed this,i don`t go back & rerecord,so bum notes, mistakes & screeches stay.
thanks for comments

easybeat, I noticed the string squeeks.  I found that coated strings like Elixir strings and even the monel Retro strings by Martin  cut down the squeeking. I use both.

Tyson,thanks for the advice,i think mainly the problem was i had the neck close to the mic.
next time i should have the mic by the soundhole.

easybeat wrote:

Tyson,thanks for the advice,i think mainly the problem was i had the neck close to the mic.
next time i should have the mic by the soundhole.

Great song, EB ... and I think you've diagnosed the mic placement as the main issue with the finger squeaks. The suggestion about Elixir strings is a good one, but they just have less squeaking; it isn't eliminated.

Just saying I've noticed it works for me for live performing and recording.

Any advice is good advice,thanks.

Good Johnny Cash feel

I thought I'd already commented on this song. When you say you just jammed it do you mean chords and words? I used to be able to do that about 40 years ago!
You've got a humongous amount of reverb on the recording which exacerbates the screeching sound so turn that down some and re position the mic.
That's the tec stuff sorted, good song....well done

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Good song, can we see chords and lyrics please?

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"