1 (edited by Classical Guitar 2018-04-13 09:49:39)

Topic: Active Members

A  couple of days ago there was 21 Chordie members logged in and after looking I was the only one who posts.  None of the others logged in had ever posted. Why is that and what can we do to get more members active?
Why do members log in to read parts of  Chordie and do not take time to comment? 

I think if more would  post would allow us to be better.
We have some active members who I have not seen posting recently and I miss them too.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Re: Active Members

I think most of the registered members use Chordie for the songbook saving their songs for future use.
They probably don't even enter or read the forum posts and those who do lurk and don't comment.
As to attracting them to do so is open to suggestions.
I've been on Chordie for years and the forum has always retained about the same number of posters give or take..

As long as there are guitars to be bought, I will be posting. Lol.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

arkady wrote:

I think most of the registered members use Chordie for the songbook saving their songs for future use.
They probably don't even enter or read the forum posts...

And the ones that do, often do so when something isn't working right or when they are looking for a particular song. Then they disappear.

unclejoesband wrote:
arkady wrote:

They probably don't even enter or read the forum posts...

And the ones that do, often do so when something isn't working right or when they are looking for a particular song. Then they disappear.

True enough.

Just to  be clear I was talking about why they log in and do not post. I  sincerely appreciate the current members who have been active long term and have and make this forum what is today.  I also am appreciative of the talent shown by the members too. Dedication from these same members is amazing.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

7 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-04-13 21:36:09)

Chordie holds different levels of value to different people.

Those that enjoy the sharing of ideas, asking questions, show-casing personal songs/ poems, etc. with other members are in the Forums. My main attraction to the Forum when I joined was to get advice about gear, strings, etc., and I'm eternally grateful for all of the helpful support provided.

Those that join for the Song Book only, or the Transposer only are perhaps content with that, and not inclined to join in with Chordie's social aspect and sharing of information. I guess that's okay, too. Personally, the knowledge exchange and support I've benefited from here has greatly enhanced my understanding and enjoyment of playing guitar.

Classical Guitar wrote:

A  couple of days ago there was 21 Chordie members logged in and after looking I was the only one who posts.  None of the others logged in had ever posted. Why is that and what can we do to get more members active?
Why do members log in to read parts of  Chordie and do not take time to comment? 

I think if more would  post would allow us to be better.
We have some active members who I have not seen posting recently and I miss them too.

Classical
good question i often ask myself the same thing.i`ve come to believe it`s apathy.
A good example of this is Phil & Roger have just recorded Phills song.Maybe it will get 20 listens.
I`ve noticed many musicians are only interested in themselves.
Having said that if you put a poem on chordie it gets a great response after a few mths hundreds of people have read it.
maybe we should change  it to a poem site.
ps how about using your talents to do CSOM?

The King Of Audio Torture

I would love to see more people post on here.

I would have to agree with most of the posts here, a majority of the registered members likely registered because they thought that it was a requirement.  Much like a lot of other sites do.... mostly asking for your e-mail address to sell on to others for $$ gain from advertisers.  Chordie is an exception only requiring registration to post in the forums or to maintain a songbook index here.  Posting is not required, so only those with interest, or questions, or a willingness to help others, or a social bent seem to do so regularly. There will be times when only a couple of "members" will be attending, and the rest may be "guests".  We always try to be welcoming of everyone and encourage participation, but it's a lot like that "horse to water" thing.  smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Classical Guitar wrote:

Just to  be clear I was talking about why they log in and do not post.

To maintain a Songbook you have to log in so many of those logged in are probably just here for that.

My pet hate are the ones who come and make a single post because they have a problem and I either ask them to give me more detailed info, to write to me personally, or I do make suggestions to answer their query then they completely ignore the offered assistance and give absolutely no response.

Roger

I feel better now I have that off my chest smile

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

You must have got a big chest Roger, as that happens soooo often!

I wholeheartedly agree with CG on this... in a way we all use Chordie for our own ends, allbeit to promote our latest work, or get ideas for our next work...or like me and most of our regular posters that enjoy the friendship we've made here the help, guidance and support from our friends.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I found Chordie 4+ years ago while looking for the lyrics to Billy Joel's song, Piano Man. My step-son insisted the line was; "It's 5 o'clock on a Saturday." I was equally insistent that it was 9 o'clock. I won. smile

Once I found the lyrics I noticed there was a forum here as well so I poked around for a few days. I liked what I saw and decided to join. Made some new friends and have enjoyed making music with some of them since the summer of '15.

Looking forward to many more get togethers and meeting some of the folks I haven't met yet.

CG. You should consider popping up to Pa. in October. Don't know exactly where you are but it takes Zurf about 2 hours.

Yep I have noticed that too CG ... guess it boils down to what people want to use Chordie for.   As for me, easybeat introduced me to Chordie and I enjoyed the helpful info and general chit chat here from people.

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

15 (edited by bluejeep 2018-04-22 09:24:58)

I usually stop by every day, but don't comment very often.  My sense of humor sometimes leads to misunderstanding so I just usually remain "silent".

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".