Topic: Substantial Love for Insubstantial Things

Hey you all. My first song posting here in a long while.Hope you all enjoy.

Substantial Love for Insubstantial Things - Jeff Gilpin

April 29, 2018

[G]Waking up early just to see the sun rise

The look of laughter when it's [G7]lingering in your eyes

The [C7]smell of cooking sausage from the other room

[G]Your voice saying breakfast'll be ready soon

[D7]Stuff that inspires with the joy it brings

I've [C7]got substantial love for insubstantial things

I've got sub[G]stantial love for insubstantial things

And all the pleasure that [G7]all that stuff brings

[C7]Stuff you can't buy or put on a price

Or [G]hold in your hand and say ah that's nice

[D7]Stuff that inspires by the joy it brings

[G]Taking a hike in early spring

Mist in your face from a [G7]waterfall

A [C7]nice cool breeze when you're all hot with sweat

[G]Anticipation when you're not there yet

[G]Driving in the mountains and the sights I see

Sitting in the car just [G7]you and me

[C7]Sneaking up behind you when you're all alone ah

The [G]gasp of your breath when you hear me say hola

I've [C7]got substantial love for insubstantial things .....[G7]

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: Substantial Love for Insubstantial Things

That is excellent !
and it is ......So true, so true, so true!!
Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Jeff you know how to write an excellent song. Hope we can get to hear it soon.

Thanks and I should have it posted tom my soundcloud page by next weekend.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

great to see a new song from you.

The King Of Audio Torture

I often think when I see descriptive songs like this...are they fact or made up? This I believe to be a true happening, maybe not on the same trip or the same time. Beautifully written, I don't have my guitar with me and I'd so like to play it.

Post the recording soon

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

I often think when I see descriptive songs like this...are they fact or made up? This I believe to be a true happening, maybe not on the same trip or the same time. Beautifully written, I don't have my guitar with me and I'd so like to play it.

Post the recording soon

You nailed it Phill...The only changes from things that actually happened this weekend were I changed sausage to bacon ....and spring to fall....but all this is from a quick little get away I'm on in Sapphire Valley, NC. I do recommend this area for those of you who like mountains, waterfalls, and little to no traffic noise. BTW....my wife Michiyo said I should change it to spring....so I'm thinking about doing that.

J  E  T  S

Updated....sausage for bacon....spring for fall....now it's all true. smile And Michiyo is happy again.

J  E  T  S

9 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-05-01 09:16:53)

Very nice values expressed, Jets60 ... really like this a lot.  It plays out nicely as a warm bluesy song. I love the use of 7ths in a song like this, because they convey a lingering thought type of feel. Awesome work!

Thanks TF - I put up a scratch recording if anyone wants to hear how it goes. https://soundcloud.com/jets60/substanti … ial-things

J  E  T  S

Jeff great to hear you on soundcloud again. It is a good song.

Thanks Pete - It was fun to write and perform, but I had to push myself to hit the highs...mostly due to pollen in the air with spring and all. Left my voice a little raw when I finally was done.

J  E  T  S

Hi, jets60

Please do post the link when you can. It's astounding how many of you are accomplished lyricists and guitarists. I get hit by the odd "idea" every now and then, start to write and the next thing I know I'm "telling a story" and I need to give this guy a happy ending or start over. Somehow, though I never get back to it and off it goes into the trunk where it languishes with all the other unfinished stuff. I call it "writing myself into a corner". smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Hi, jets60

Please do post the link when you can. It's astounding how many of you are accomplished lyricists and guitarists. I get hit by the odd "idea" every now and then, start to write and the next thing I know I'm "telling a story" and I need to give this guy a happy ending or start over. Somehow, though I never get back to it and off it goes into the trunk where it languishes with all the other unfinished stuff. I call it "writing myself into a corner". smile

Bill

Hey Bill - Thanks for your kind words, but I just try and keep it simple and stick with whatever idea comes to me and gets me writing. I have some story songs out there too, and those can be fun to play around with. Also fun is if you want to break the story song into one or more songs.

I posted the link the other night, but it might be hard to see. Here it is again:

https://soundcloud.com/jets60/substanti … ial-things

J  E  T  S

Nice thoughtful song Jeff.
Well done.

Thanks Ark

J  E  T  S