1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-05-17 01:58:06)

Topic: Need Help: Hearing Aid Question

Hi All

As a Vet, the Starkey Co. gives me a free hearing aid. It's flesh colored, fits in the ear canal and has a little plastic thread coming out the end. Like this on the link.

https://www.starkey.com/hearing-aids/co … aring-aids

Well, I DO have a LOT of ear wax, so I pay daily attention to ear care, but after a few days, he thing stops giving me the 1,2,3 options (sound is kind like bleep, bleep-bleep and bleep-bleep-bleap). Then, after a few days there is either no sound (remember I clean my ears daily and don't PACK the wax in) is either nothing, or a screeches where the beeps were. At one point, I have even heard a voice trying to tell me something, but it is very short and inaudible.

Questions:

1. Do you have one of these and have this problem

2. Can ear wax get into the inner workings of the device. The battery compartment is the only thing to my knowledge which opens up.

I wrote to Starkey and have an appointment with my audiologist next month, but I thought I'd "sound out" (HA-HA, HAHAHAHAHAH HA. HA. CHORTLE, CHUCKLE, HAHAHAHAHAHA! WHOeeeee my friends ............."HEAR!!!!!!" (titter, snort, bwah) first.

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Need Help: Hearing Aid Question

What ?
smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I have a hearing aid and earwax can build up not only on the outside but inside as well that is why most audiologists give you a cleaning kit that includes extra white felt rings and plastic domes that fit over the white felt you need to check daily and if you hear any beeps this is an alert that your batteries need to be changed

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I am sorry to learn of the problems  both of you have. I know know one guy my aged that went deaf at 45. He had two  cochlear implants so he could hear again. The wires do not seem to both him at all. He told me he could hear but it is different than when he could hear normally.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-05-20 09:35:44)

My hearing at age 60 is still very good (thankfully) and I credit my Dad for always making me wear earplugs when using a chainsaw or power tools. Any kind of age related impairment (hearing loss, eyesight dimming, arthritic joints, etc.) is hard to contend with. We remember how life was when all this stuff worked well, and miss it when it deteriorates.

We then look to find devices or other "work-a-rounds" to compensate, which becomes a topic for conversation when the seniors meet for daily coffee at a local coffee shop. Dad also used to say he'd lost his mind years ago, and didn't miss it a bit. big_smile

Yeah, I have one of those sticks and the felt. But how do you open it up to get the wax out from the INSIDE?

*** Bill you posted this as a report so I have copied it and re-posted it here - Roger ***

Thank you, Classical Guitar and TF, but cochlear inplants would be unaffordable for me. I think I'll rig up one of those things Ed Harris wore in "Copying Beethoven" when it gets too bad. I thank both of you for thinking of me, however, and will enjoy watching your PERFORMANCES wherever they appear, punch the air out of the guy sitting next to me and yell, HEY! I KNOW THOSE GUYS PERSONALLY!!!!.

Your Friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I'm buying my father new hearing aids - he's also a vet, so I may look into "free," as that is my favorite price. It beats the bajeebers out of what Medicare considers affordable. However, his dementia is to a point where I don't think he's going to be able to learn the new task of cleaning out hearing aids. There is a nursing team available where he lives, so I may check with them. I'd think cleaning hearing aids is in line with the sort of duties they would do.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf,

Yeah, I have a "nursing team" as well who specialize in all the the things wrong with me. I think my audiologist may have to work with me to get all the wax out of my ear canal. Before I began wearing the hearing aid, I had a LOT of wax in my right ear, but I can't seem to stay ahead of the wax to keep my canal clear, so they may have to switch me to a hearing aid that mounts over the ear and let the bone back there pick up the sound.

Best wishes to your Dad, Zurf and thanks for your reply.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass