Re: Bluegrass gospel song from last rebel....

last_rebel wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:
Rooster3 wrote:

Either way yo play the chord its the meaning in the words thats supposed to catch ur attention on this site, correct?
Good Job!

Well, no.  Not for me.  With the group I play in, the only songs to which I know the words are the ones I wrote.   Everything else is "lalalalalalalala"

For me, it's the music that matters.  Lyrics are completely interchangeable.

I'd quote the other responses too but thats a lot of trouble...

WHat you have to do to be a true master:

Make folks cry when you play AND SING
Pay your dues
MOAN THE BLUES
Bend the guitar strings....
make folks feel what you feel inside. - the supposed ghost of Hank WIlliams lol
not that every body can sing AND play good but a good band really needs both. Singing IS music after all.

see i can be a smart A$$ too

All You Need is Love smile

27 (edited by jerome.oneil 2007-08-27 04:34:20)

last_rebel wrote:

Make folks cry when you play AND SING

Andres Segovia would like a word with you.

Not my point:  You wrote a cool little bluegrass tune.  And I mean that.  I dig bluegrass a lot.  I've been to Telluride, and Wintergrass, and several smaller festivals.  I try to get to at least one a year.  I've got live Bill Monroe in the CD player in my car right now.  The song you wrote is true to the gospel tradition from which bluegrass sprang.  You should pat yourself on the back for a job well done. 

None of that is the point.  My point was a minor complaint about the chords being correct as played.   That is all.

In fact, were I to score that piece, I'd do it in jazz notation, and eliminate the need for a proper key (and therefor capo) outright, allowing the performer to pick her key.

I
The hand of death
      IV              I
is    drawing closer

Soon I must go
                    V
To that far shore
                              I
But please don't weep
             IV     I
For me   my  brother

I'm going where
     V           I
I'll cry no more

etc...

see i can be a smart A$$ too

One would hope!  It's a ton better than being a dumb A$$..   big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

and   la- ti- da....

"Fly on Proud Bird, At Last You Are Free"
-Charlie Daniels

29 (edited by last_rebel 2007-08-27 20:11:42)

lol seems like every topic you post on ends up being a two mile long debate board jerome.... not complaining though smile
  Not sure what pattern Jazz would use, but the circle of fifths my dad taught says this song would be

1                               2            1
the hand of death is drawing closer
soon i must go to that far shore

the pattern is for the key of G

1=g
2=c
3=d
4=a
5=e and so on and so forth

or for another example in the key of A, a would be one, d would be two, e would be three, b would be four, Gb is five....

but yeah you're right using the number would probly work better.

Hey Last Rebel,

Like your song and as the key of G suits my voice I did not need to use the capo to sing it. Well done.

Thank you,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

last_rebel wrote:

lol seems like every topic you post on ends up being a two mile long debate board jerome.... not complaining though smile

It's because I'm picky about accuracy in some matters.     Baseball vs Cricket, for example, could get bloody.  big_smile

Not sure what pattern Jazz would use, but the circle of fifths my dad taught says this song would be

1                               2            1
the hand of death is drawing closer
soon i must go to that far shore

the pattern is for the key of G

1=g
2=c
3=d
4=a
5=e and so on and so forth

I like any notation that  is key agnostic.   I  IV  V applies to whatever diatonic key you're in.   You just pick the key, and then play the appropriate notes from that scale.   Seems the Co5ths notation you describe does the same trick.

yeah my dad uses it alot when we have a lot of different instruments playing together. He leads from piano and holds up his fingers so we all know which chord to play. Don't know how he manages to play all the parts and hold his fingers up too but he pulls it off really well....
Its especially good for people just learning to play cuz they can follow along pretty easily even if they don't know the song. Maybe I'll use it the next time I post a song on here...

hey jerome, people say im picky but you take the cake my friend. give'm hell buddy

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

selso wrote:

hey jerome, people say im picky but you take the cake my friend. give'm hell buddy

I'm gonna give 'em some love, and a little knowledge if I can, and take some back when the opportunities arise.   big_smile

The chord numbering system referred to above (but not the circle of fifths method) is also called 'Nashville Numbers'.

Understanding the numbers is simply a matter of recognizing the steps in any particular key.
Here is a link to a pretty thorough explanation (parts 1 - 4) of how the numbers work:
http://www.don-mclean.com/guitars/nashville1.asp
Learning to use these numbers is a great exercise in expanding your music theory horizons.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]