Topic: Listening VS Playing

My wife commented the other day, that she notices I spend a lot more time listening to music than playing it. I love to play my guitars, and enjoy practicing, rehearsing, and just noodling around on them. And I always have an idea what I'm going to do before I pick one up and plug it in ... always enjoyable.

But I do find I enjoy listening to music a lot more lately. I get an equal or greater amount of satisfaction getting immersed in the talents of others ... and it gets very absorbing.

How 'bout the rest of y'all? How much time do you spend sitting and really listening to music (not just in the background)?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2544/3973009220_ff31f2b7d1.jpg

Re: Listening VS Playing

Many times Pandora will just be on kind of in the background.  Smooth jazz mostly, and i do pay attention to the music, but not for hours on end.  i dust off my strings at least once or twice a day, run some scales and fingerpick a few just to keep the fingers limbered and the calluses.  Practice time can get up into two/three hours unless I have a busy schedule.
Now the weather is getting nicer, we go out into the back porch and run through a setlist just in case Steve calls for me to sit in on a gig with short notice. The we I refer to is my Lab, Guitar, and me..... one of which is not too critical.  smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I dont do much playing now days but I do enjoy spending the last part of the day before I go to bed with my headphones on listening to music. I get rid of all distractions and by myself for sometimes up to an hour I will listen to music through my headset. When I go to bed I am ready to sleep.

I can spend between 2 to 3 hours playing when gigging. Possibly more than that if I'm recording, mixed with bass drums and keyboards. Otherwise lately it's been stolen moments while I'm waiting for her shadylip before going out.
I find I'm listening to a lot of music when I've had enough playing. YouTube videos of my favourite bands playing live, headphones up loud trying to figure out what chords they're playing. And of course on the way to shows, CD up loud...

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Over the years I've listened to less and less recorded music.  Usually because if not listening to music I'd make up tunes and lyrics in my head which were later turned into songs.  The last three or four times I've driven to Florida to visit my daughters, I never turned on the radio even once.  I'll go listen to someone play live but hardly ever listen to radio or CDs anymore.  On the other hand, I spend 6-7 hours a week playing at jam sessions, open mics or an occasional gig.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

6 (edited by beamer 2018-07-07 04:15:22)

i cant function with out my music.  I play  and I listen. 

When the sound of your own drum becomes more important than the sound of the band, You need to step back and decide why your playing.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:

When the sound of your own drum becomes more important than the sound of the band, You need to step back and decide why your playing.

Now that's a great quote !!!

I really get into listening to music when i ride my bike. I put my mp3 player on my hip and cruise with headphones. It is not unusual for me to listen to the same song 2 or 3 times in a row to catch the lyrics better or listen to a great rhythm. I usually ride 10-12 miles so I get a good  listen and then walk about 2 miles to cool down.   I also love to put the headphones on while at my computer - and get into music I haven't heard before - that's why I love Deadeye's fridays and TF's Tuesday and Wednesdays posts.
The original plays here on chordie also get my attention all the time.

I only play to relax - usually on my front porch  or in my computer room if I am writing a song.  Playing guitar is my getaway from the other components of my life.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

beamer wrote:

i cant function with out my music.  I play  and I listen. 

Interesting quote Scott.  Is it yours?  I think it's a good concept for a song.

As my signature line indicates, I'm not a "band" type person, preferring to do things solo and my own way - I not only like marching to the beat of a different drum, I want to be the drummer.  big_smile

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

10 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-07-08 09:34:41)

TIG ...  it seems like you and I are wired somewhat alike in our balance between playing and listening. My knees / hips won't let me ride a bike, I but I love to put on music while poking about at some woodworking. And I also enjoy exploring new bands / songs / etc. It's amazing that good writers and musicians can take the same notes that have been around for millennia, and create something new by changing their order, timing, and combinations. There's nothing quite like music in the world, and I'm a total addict!

https://metalworksinstitute.com/wp-content/uploads/rsz_1music.jpg

A second question comes to mind: speakers or headphones? I much prefer a full-sounding stereo system through speakersthan headphones. It sounds bigger, fuller, more ambient ... or whatever else I can't really express.

I have music on nearly all the time. I listen to it only rarely. I have't been playing much. Family duties have me overwhelmed, so personal time is an absolute minimum. Once a day (give or take) I bang through three or four songs I already kind of know to center my mind and focus myself to relax. I'm learning nothing new right now, which is too bad.

I always tell my kids not to wish away time. Nevertheless, I'm kind of hoping that this phase of life doesn't last too long and that the next phase isn't quite so difficult.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude