1 (edited by TIGLJK 2018-07-16 11:40:46)

Topic: Three words, eight letters

I was having breakfast in a restaurant yesterday and was watching this very pretty middle age woman - I could tell she had been crying. I don't know why, but my imagination took me to this song. 

just a country style song about a girl that suffered through a bad relationship -feeling worthless- and a guy that sees all the beautiful things in her - and would like to love her.

this was different than my others bc I wrote it with no  song in mind  Hope you like it.

Three Words, Eight Letters Jim Kenyon

[D]She said she’s fine but seems she can’t hide her pain

[G]She said she feels good,but she’s alone tonight [D]again

[G]She says it’s nothing at all, but she knows that’s not [D]true

Oh, [A] how’s a heart to [G]act,when it aches,black and [D]blue

verse 2

[D]she says she’s okay, but there's times she falls apart

[G]she changed her looks, but she cannot change her [D]heart

[G]she says she’s not hurting, but acts just like she’s [D]broken

as she[A] listens for those [G] words that were never [D]spoken

Chorus

[G]Yea she’s all tangled up, a sweet, complicated [D]mess

[G]But she’s looking good to me in that silky summer [D]dress

[G]three words, eight letters, I’d say them to be [D]hers

Well,ya[A] know hearts may get [G]broken, but love en[D]dures

Verse 3

[D]She looks in the mirror, but only sees what she lacks

[G]she argues with the silence, because it never speaks [D]back

[G]she smiles like an angel, but she's been through[D] hell

will she [A]ever love a[G]gain? ........ Only time will [D]tell

Chorus

[G]Yea she’s all tangled up, a sweet, complicated [D]mess

[G]But she’s looking good to me in that silky summer [D]dress

[G]three words, eight letters, I’d say them to be [D]hers

fade out

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Re: Three words, eight letters

the best writers of songs or novels can put down in words what others can only assume is mundane and everyday. Jim i read this song very, very slowly without trying to put a tune or rhythm to it, that will come later. i am so proud to say that Jim Kenyon is a personal friend of mine, one day my friend you will be up there amongst the great lyricists. this song proves that. i always say....say what you see, and you said what you saw

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Jim that is a beautiful piece of writing. Back in the days when I counseled young peopl it use to break my heart the number of beautiful young ladies who fell for rat bags and couldn't see their own beauty and the wonderful gifts they had.

Phill and Peatle

Thank you for your extremely kind words. I really don't see myself as anything more than what you said Phill,  I just wrote what I saw.  Being a teacher and coach  of almost 40 years, I'm pretty good at reading people. { and I really do love that phrase "say what you see" Phill }- in this case it was that exactly.
My only regret was not somehow taking a photograph of her. 
It has a mystery about it as well, because I will never know what the real story was. ( although her expression and her  being alone certainly had an unmistakable agony about it)

I put it to the chords as you see in the post b/c they are the most comfortable chords for me - but since then have transposed it to D G A bc it fits my singing (if that's what one would call it smile  ) better.
I think it has potential to be a really good song. 
( and the funny thing Phill,  which you will probably get a kick out of I think was that when I was changing it from poem to song...... I kept thinking - " I need to put a bridge in it "   like Phill said -     but I still have no clue how to do something like that even though you explained it wonderfully, so it sits bridgeless smile  )

Peatle,
It must have been a soul wrenching job working with and counseling young people as such.  I can only imagine the highs and lows of such a job (between  those you were able to save and those you couldn't help)

Thanks again for you flattering comments

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Excellent lyrics, as always!  I, like Jim, just read through the words without a tune in mind and without focusing on the chords.  Would love to hear the rhythm now though!  big_smile  Good to pop in here and still see you're doing your thing!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Jim.
Her actual reason for crying was most likely something totally mundane....like she lost her umbrella. Your story adds a dimension. Maybe she was thinking....ooops I don't have enough money to pay for my meal, I'm going to ruin my new nail job washing dishes...lol. so your story makes her look more interesting.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Hey TIG ... ya dunnit agin, man ... beautifully written. Like MKM did, I just read it as a poem and had my heart warmed completely.

JIm ..... wow you have done it again!  That song made me feel for that woman, her pain and wondered what was going on in her life .   So well written once again Jim and some great lines in there.

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

9 (edited by TIGLJK 2018-07-11 14:25:28)

Thank You  Amy, Jan and TF

I actually did write it without music first - I used those chords b/c that's about the full scope of my abilities smile

Wish I had musical talent to go with writing  smile

I have it my songbook here if anyone wants to use it... easier to transpose if necessary
https://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/?url … ranspose=0

Thanks again !

Jim