Topic: Questions For "Other" Instrumentalists

For instance, I've always wanted to ask an accordionist what all those little white buttons on the non-key side of the reed instruments are there for and how do you know which ones to push?

Steel Drummers: How do you guys tune your drums and how long does it take to make one?

Others?

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Questions For "Other" Instrumentalists

Welcome back Bill. I can't answer your question but it's good to see you posting again.

Love to Dondra

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Great question, Bill ... we've missed you, because no one can start a conversation like you can! My question is for harmonica players:

How can anyone play one without pouring drool through it?

I can't get through a song without needing a towel and a bib, and need to take them for Rust Check treatment as a result. wink

The left hand on a accordian has two rows of bass notes and if it has more rows they are chords. here is some info and a layout from Wikipedia: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Accordion/Left_hand

The accordian used here in Portugal has buttons for the right hand instead of a keyboard and I guess is more difficult to play.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Steel drum tuning is a huge pain and involves hammers and crowbars. You don't regularly retune them like you do a guitar. Takes a lot of skill and experience.

Well thanks Bill !!  Firstly for wandering back into the fray and letting us know you are still around, and secondly for MAKING ME take time to learn Waaay too much about your first question.  Now I'm well prepared for the Trivial Pursuit topic of "Musical instruments of the 19th Century".  big_smile  I'm just kidding there Buddy.

Good to see you back, and sharing your thoughts with the Family !!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks, Doug and everyone - for the replies. I had always thought of the accordion as being a very difficult instrument with all the back and forth pushing, the piano keys and the other keys as well as the singing, but have never actually held one or spoken with a player, so Roger that was a most interesting link.

I guess when one considers the harmonica - it also being a reed instrument - all that SLAWBR has to go somewhere, right? (Anyone catch a song reference in those capital letters?), but I've never seen a bib, TFN, just a lot of old black gentlemen forcefully striking it onto the sides of their hands. Easy to play along with guitar? Just a minimum of chords available, right, on a blues harp? I know there are some very fancy ones with slides and stuff, but if I were to play a harmonica with guitar it would be just a simple Hohner.

As for the steel drums, I've never actually priced one lately, BGD. but I've always thought they'd be expensive and the players having something akin to perfect pitch - there being so many sharps, flats major and minor notes available. Any of you drummers thinking what I'm thinking? I'll leave those drums alone and just play the ones with one note, thanks!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Thats an interesting point. I always figured they were build around specific scales like a harmonica, but maybe they’re chromatic.   You just gave me something to Google yet again,  Bill. smile