1 (edited by TIGLJK 2018-11-10 18:59:49)

Topic: I wrote this for Bill - Response to his post

Bill's post  "Odds Bodkins*, Man! You've Been 'At Odds' With Yourself!"  contained this----

" Dondra has given this a name: she call's it Bill's need for "Soul Stability" (that should be a clue for a certain songwriter we all know and love here on chordie - a good working song title I mean)."

I told Bill I thought it was a really cool phrase - and I thought it would make for a good song---   so taking into light some of the things Bill has shared.... I wrote this song.

(Bill If you don't like it - just say so and I will immediately take it down.)

anyways- here it is:  I play with a capo on 3rd fret

Soul Stability   Jim Kenyon 

[Em]Oh there’s something missing, there’s something wrong

I feel so out of place, like I don’t belong

[Am]Don’t what it is, can’t figure it out

[Em]I need some answers to remove my doubts

[B7] I’m just searching for tranquility

And I [C7] sure could use some [B7]soul stabili[Em]ty

[Em]Oh I’ve got a weary heart and tired mind

As problems rise,   joys get left behind

[Am]When everyday is filled with faithless shadows

[Em]It’s hard to see many bright tomorrows

[B7]I know there’s a strong possibility

That I’m in [C7]need of some [B7]soul stabili[Em]ty

[Em] [A] [Em]

Chorus:

[Am] How I wish that I could turn back time

Back when [Em]everything in my world was fine

I've [Am]got lots of excuses for what I lack

but [B7]time marches onward,it [C7]never,[B7]ever comes [EM] back

[Em] [A] [Em]

[Em] Oh baby I need you right here with me

You;re the only one who knows what I need

[Am]You calm my nerves and soothe my soul

[Em]You take my hand when I lose control

It’s [B7] time to face the reality

Baby [C7]I need your [B7]soul stabili[Em]ty

Chorus:

[Am] How I wish that I could turn back time

Back when [Em]everything in my world was fine

I've [Am]got lots of excuses for what I lack

but [B7]time marches onward,it [C7]never,[B7]ever comes [EM] back

[Em] [A] [Em]

yea, [B7]time marches onward, it [C7]never,[B7]ever comes [EM] back

Play slowly - [B7]time marches onward, it [C7]never,[B7]ever comes [EM] back

[Em] [A] [Em]

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

2 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-08-21 22:05:05)

Re: I wrote this for Bill - Response to his post

It looks like you and my pretty Dondra have a very fine first collaboration here, Jim. (She on the title and you on the message of the song). It paints a very good picture of what life is like for us at the moment and we are thankful to have friends like you who understand what's going on and who know how dependent we are at this fragile time in our lives.

You know, there have been times since joining our family when I have asked myself if I should have just kept what's happened/happening to us ----  private --- and just be a name on a page who treats people how he himself would like to be treated, but that would not have been the Bill you know me as. Whoever created the bond - you (Chordians) or I (Bill), it's there and won't be easily broken.

Besides, everyone needs a "reference point". In this case, a guy of whom people can say, "Man! I thought I/we had it bad! He's worse off than I am (we are). smile............ < there's your smiley face (of sorts) to show that I don't mind being that guy. I don't mind being that guy because it allows me - in a small way - to "pay back" the kindnesses you, Jim and the family keep bringing us. If I were to put that into a song, it would convey the message that there have been many times when I have asked myself what would I do/have done  without you.

So don't take it down, Jim. I'm in every line of it. I am even inbetween every line of it. Getting  Soul-Stable will be another "challenge" for me, but with friends and family such as you all, I'm up for it. "Put me in, Coach........."

Thanks, Jim and everyone for helping me to hang in!

Bill

PS: Dondra says to tell you she couldn't have said it better herself, and if you knew her personally, then you'd know what a true compliment that really is, my friend. If you and I  knew each other better, you'd understand that this translates into "Ya' done good, Buddy!"

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Jim. I read this when you first posted it but I wanted to let Bill be the first to reply.

Your songs have always been beautifully crafted. Having said that you have certainly excelled yourself with this one. I haven't attempted to play it yet, no time as usual, so I can't tell if it needs a bridge or middle eight or even a solo.
A stunning song and I'm sure Bill and Dondra appreciate your artistry.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

As soon as I get things set up to record here at home, I'll do a play/sing through of this as well. It will be the first time ever for me to cover a tune written by you, Jim! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Cool beans Bill !
I will look forward to it - I love it when someone covers one of my songs,

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

ha ha ,good article     

Excellent Jim, I think this is a great song.  I like the "soul stability' line in this.  For me, my soul food is going to or for a walk on the beach or into nature amongst the native bush and hills.... great soul food .............. keeps me stable and not cranky lol smile     

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

I love that Soul Stability, Jim which only a good lady can give a good man. Once again another clever song.written by a champion.