1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-09-10 17:46:49)

Topic: Supporting Your Local Music Store

Hey Family

Carrollton, Georgia USA's population in 2016 was 27 k. Additionally, we are home to the University of West Georgia and, even though we are considered "small town USA", we enjoy multi-cultural lifestyles and religions. In short, whatever your needs, for the most part, one needn't go to Atlanta (our capital city) for anything one might need - be it a service or a product.

"For the most part"........ smile

Given the above statistics then, would it surprise you to know that Carrollton has absolutely ZERO music stores? The nearest one is 25 miles to the east of us.

As one might expect, the demise of the THREE we had are caused by the online "catalog" stores who, with very little overhead are able to sell their wares at greatly reduced prices. This includes amazon and eBay as well as Sweetwater and Musicians' Friend,  among others.

When one looks at the "lowest common denominator" (price), it would be ludicrous to pay $500.00  for an Ibanez Artcore locally, when it can be had for $325.00 online. (FYI, those are just examples; I have no idea what the actual price of an Artcore is these days).

But it isn't just product which is the problem. It's also service. Are you really going to ship your bass to Sweetwater to have them change its pickups, strings, set action, etc.? Of course not. You'll pack it into its case and drive to the nearest town with a music store to have that done. If that town happens to be 25 miles  east, well.... sucks to be me, I guess.

So what's the solution? Read on and see what you think of my idea.

Instead of being just online entities, I suggest merchants such as Sweetwater and Musicians' Friend open brick and mortar stores in towns like mine and even though the prices probably won't be anywhere close to the online ones, I think with the right promotions they could be close. Let these stores be run by local musicians not paid on commission and with decent benefits and all at once you've solved several problems in "one fell swoop":
Unemployment, the environment and  time management all benefit from this new "attitude" 

"If you build it, they will come".

I'd be interested in reading your views, pro or con, on this.

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

2 (edited by Doug_Smith 2018-09-11 02:07:46)

Re: Supporting Your Local Music Store

Those are good thoughts Bill, but I'm in another little town  (on the other side of the Country) of similar size in Population (not including the University students). We are also within easy driving distance of the State Capital (35 Miles), and yet we have at last count FIVE Music Stores that sell and service Instruments.  One of those deals mostly in Pianos, Harps and Organs, and electric Keyboards, and one only deals in Electric guitars, Basses, Mandolins and Amplifiers.  Are they feeling the pinch of online stores?  OF COURSE !  They have to deal with the cost of overhead, ie:  rent, insurance, Business Licensing (at the State level only as there is no Municipal requirement for a Retail License, and it is "cheap"), Utilities, Wages and Payroll Taxes etc..  Some are good friends of mine and from time to time I do inquire as to the health of their enterprises. Generally they TRY to be competitive cutting margins as they can, trimming the hours of employees as needed, which is easier when your workforce are mostly students that don't have the free-time to devote "mega-hours" to a second job when their first "job" is getting an education. Staff Rotation is expected and manageable..... they do provide very good customer service and the slightly higher initial investment is offset by the benefits to the customer, both perceived and tangible.  Everything in inventory is inspected, defectives returned, all are tuned and properly set-up, so what you hold in your hands when "shopping" reflects the true quality mirrored in the price.  After sale service is where the "real" profit is balanced with return customers buying the little bits that support their passion..... for instance the Drums were close to the price you could pay online (with freight), but you spent a small fortune on pedals, sticks and the eight-way adjustable "throne", that lets you make your music.  The margin is a bit wider on that stuff.  smile

As to the "brick and mortar" vs. Online thing..... Guitar Center is the "physical" store of the parent Company of which Musician's Friend is the "online Outlet"..... Same guys, different Business Model.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, and if that is what one must do to survive in the Market, Rock On !!  Personally though, if I really wanted to drive that 35 miles to cruise through a "store" and be ignored by the overworked under staffed kids in the matching shirts...... I would.  But my sanity demands I shop local, and I do whenever possible.  big_smile

ETA: No offense intended towards either Company named above.  I have and do buy from both of them from time to time, and only use them as a familiar reference for our readers.  Your views may differ as it is not  common for one to "expect" a bad experience, but there are variables to take into account such as staff levels, number of customers in premise at any particular time, promotions running and such.  My experiences have ranged from Good to Exceptional generally with an occasional "disappointing" which reflects more on what kind of day the associate is having as opposed to Corporate Policy.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I have Guitar Center and Union Music close by. 15 minutes away in either direction. I will always go to Union Music first. They are a little more expensive. Not that much more. Not enough to go to dinner on the savings. They know me by name. All the employees play. Their service is top notch. Guitar Center is like Wal Mart. I would rather see my money go to the small single store rather than a big conglomerate. 

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Bill does bring up an interesting point, and Joey kind of put an exclamation mark on it...... the personal level of service, and the part about all the employees being musicians in their own right.  The more successful stores in my area are owned and staffed by folks that are entrenched in the local music scene.  They actively participate in promoting events, seminars, and concerts hereabouts, and include the student community in their plans. All provide lessons, and engage the population musically, through their efforts..... including getting the music department in the University and Community Arts involved. Libraries, High Schools and other levels by providing bands and entertainment for their functions also.l. Cultivating their customer base and enriching the Community at the same time. Concerts in the Parks, jam sessions in the College Quad, Street Fairs, Farmers Markets, or even on the sidewalk outside Starbucks or at the Mall..... even the Courthouse lawn.  smile 

5 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-09-11 22:12:39)

Doug,

I really like the way you make sure no one misses your point! smile

Also, I agree with your point about the "community involvement". I can see a store like Sweetwater or Guitar Center putting on special "clinics" on strings, how to learn the fretboard, technique, etc. It's a great way for the "big name" music stores to introduce themselves, and, as I wrote earlier, the local musicians (aka "employees") will bring along their customer base (aka "friends", "acquaintances" and/or "fans").

I think we're onto something here, Doug! smile

Your Friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Doug,

I really like the way you make sure no one misses your point! :)l

lol lol lol Good one Bill!

The closest town to me has a pop. of around 12,000 and there are 3 private music stores just in the downtown area. The closest Big Box store is about 40 miles away. I like the small shops and do business with one of them on a regular basis.     

i "reported" it Guys.  smile
Seems I can't edit my own posts.... even getting rid of duplicates.  big_smile  They just keep "auto-cloning".

Population may not be the key factor,  Maybe the demographics ??  Somebody HAS to have an algorithm for that.  UJB, would you guess that there is a fairly strong "Musical Culture" in your area..... lots of stuff going on regularly and such ?     

** Edit to add: This appears to be a 'one off' caused by some tweaking being done at the same time as you were posting Doug. I have removed the extra posts but if it happens again to anyone, please report it directly to admin@chordie.com  Roger**

8 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-09-12 02:52:01)

Sweetwater sent me an ad today and  since we were on the topic of music stores I wrote them an e-mail and invited them here. I actually pasted that invitational  mail as a post here in this thread, but took it down. The more I thought about it, the more I convinced myself I was spamming and even though I may not have been, I decided to delete it anyway. If the good folks at Sweetwater are interested - well, they're liniked here, so let's see what happens.  If nothing else, at least they got a few "mentions", and that won't hurt their feelings, I'm sure. wink

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

If nothing else, at least they got a few "mentions", and that won't hurt their feelings, I'm sure. wink

Any publicity is good publicity ...

I've bought some smaller items from SweetWater, because the time/cost to ship from the US is almost the same as getting it from our East Coast!! But now our government have decided to slap GST on _every_ item bought from overseas - I can see myself looking harder at both local stores and Eastern States stores, although the cost of purchasing will probably include GST markup, so the only one who win are the government!! Previously items under $au1000 for personal use were tax-exempt.

We get the poor end of the stick down under; a couple of years ago I bought a PRS SE online from America for $us700 - can't remember the exact figure, but it came to about $au950 including postage from a USA online shop, in the local shops it was $au1400.

Today, (with the different excange rate) the guitar itself would come to $au985 + shipping, which would then push it into cost + shipping + GST + import tax + import tax assessment. By my calculations it would make it about $au1450.

Bleh ...     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

10 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-09-12 09:15:01)

The rural part of Nova Scotia where I live is dotted with 4 towns of 3,000 - 6,000 people, all along a stretch of 40 miles or so. Smack dab in the middle is an excellent music store called Long & McQuade's, where the service and selection are remarkably good. The local music community, schools, etc. all support them loyally, and they seem to stay busy and prosperous. My online music shopping is limited to items that I just can't get locally.

It's odd that in our age of being environmentally conscious about greenhouse gases and the like, that so many are opting for online shopping, The cost to ship a product 100's or 1,000's of miles is far greater than me hopping over a the local place. Additionally, there's all the polyethylene bubble wrap and/or polystyrene "peanuts" used in the packing process, all which adds to disposal costs. I'm not a bonafide tree-hugger, but it doesn't hurt to make sensible consideration of these things when shopping.

A consumption-based economy is the purest democracy in existence. We vote with our $$$ where want stores, where want our products made, what services we want, and what level of quality we're willing to live with. My family has always tried to "shop local" when possible, because we want these businesses to be here when we need them, and to provide places for our children to work in the future. Third world manufacturing has boomed because we "voted" for it.

Bill ... thanks for starting this discussion ... you're the best at it, for sure!

11 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-09-12 18:29:05)

*****COPY OF E-MAIL REPLY FROM SWEETWATER SOUND, INC.****

"Hi Bill,

I got your email this morning. Thanks!

I'll forward everything along to the right people. Thanks for your attention.

Corey Elliott, your personal Sales Engineer
Sweetwater Sound, Fort Wayne, IN"

Isn't that great???!!  That would be totally cool if Sweetwater were to build a store upon our suggestion!

I will keep everyone updated! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Doug_Smith wrote:

UJB, would you guess that there is a fairly strong "Musical Culture" in your area..... lots of stuff going on regularly and such ?

I would say the culture is reasonable. There's usually something going on from late spring through late fall. Mostly in small, intimate venues. Winter is pretty slow as far as musical culture events.     

13 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-09-30 00:59:57)

Down here in Wellington we still have a few music stores they do struggle to compete with online shopping. Alistair's Music.is a shop I love about the size of a one car garage here in Wellington. It is owned by two lovely people Alistair and Catriona and is loved by people who visit from all over the world. Billy Connerly the comedian has become a big fan of their shop on visits to our town. Folk and Bluegrass muscian often pop in just to play a bit of music. They are fortunate to have some of the world's greatest musicians come and find their store when they tour here. If you go on Facebook and type in Alistair's Music you will see some nice clips of people playing some good music in their shop.

Peatle Jville wrote:

Down here in Wellington we still have a few music stores they do struggle to compete with online shopping. Alistair's Music.is a shop I love about the size of a one car garage here in Wellington. It is owned by two lovely people Alistair and Catriona and is loved by people who visit from all over the world. Billy Connerly the comedian has become a big fan of their shop on visits to our town. Folk and Bluegrass muscian often pop in just to play a bit of music. They are fortunate to have some of the world's greatest musicians come and find their store when they tour here. If you go on Facebook and type in Alistair's Music you will see some nice clips of people playing some good music in their shop.

I love shops like this, Peatle, no matter what their merchandise. Good on ya for supporting them, and the real sense of "neighborhood" that only a shop like this can provide.     

There is a locally owned chain store in my town. It's a small chain. It's almost entirely oriented around renting instruments to school kids, and then maybe supporting them with supplemental lessons and books. But since that describes two of my kids, I use the shop.  There's another very small shop near by my house which is pretty much the same model, but more oriented towards guitar, bass, and fiddle instruction. 

A town up the road about fifteen miles has a nice shop that specializes in teaching kids, but they have a decent selection of mid-grade instruments and accessories. Pretty small store, but the merchandise is selected carefully so pretty much everything in there is useful. No squeeze in the middle light up fish keychains of the sort that one might see at the big box stores.  I've got a sticker from them on my car.

A town the other direction about ten miles has a HUGE shop with everything, very knowledgeable people, repairs, lessons, a stage where they put on productions and lessons and events, and some very cool stuff plus all the pro audio you need.  They do a very big on-line business in used instruments. They take trades on new equipment, patch it up and clean it up, then sell it on-line for a nice profit. They do real well with that and it works out well for everyone. I've bought quite a lot of books and instructional DVDs from them. I also think I've bought three guitars and a bass from them, plus maybe eight harmonicas. I have a bumper sticker from them on a couple of my guitar cases.

We're pretty well blessed in this area. 

Guitar Center stinks. I might buy a guitar strap or a book from them. Otherwise... eh.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

16 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-10-02 17:01:17)

As an update, I have heard nothing back from Sweetwater at this point. Gotten several ads, but nothing about my posting here.

Bill     

EDITED TO ADD: So I just now wrote them another e-mail. smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass