Topic: Compatibility between Chordie and Androit Tablet

I am using an Android tablet and I am trying to download music. I have been able to do this before but now I am being told to upgrade my browser to Internet explorer 9. My Android will not allow me to do this. Am I missing something here ? Help me here ok, I am not a computer Wiz , Thanx Roger 

Re: Compatibility between Chordie and Androit Tablet

Good Morning,  I assume you've had your tablet for awhile..... explorer is I'm pretty sure, no longer supported pretty much everywhere (replaced by Edge in Windows).  Ahh but we are talking about Android here, which is a derivative of Linux and as a Linux user I can perhaps be of some help.  I'm not a "Wiz" either, but I did raise three "nerds" and a little knowledge scrapes off in conversation over time.  smile

As you know you can't really "download" music from Chordie (mostly because we don't have any files to download) all you get is an image of the display results of a search and a little formatting to make it uniform and "pretty".  You can print (to file in several forms, or on paper) and you can save screenshots, or you can add tunes to your "songbook" and access them from pretty much anywhere there is an internet connection.  But lets get back to that pesky browser "upgrade" thing. 

By now you should be using something other than Explorer for your browser...... mostly because there are others that give better security and some protection from virus' and other nasty things (which could include "explorer upgrades").  Linux/Android usually ships with Firefox as a default browser..... and it is pretty good.  I use Chrome (from Google) because I noticed Firefox being a bit slow to load after a recent "Quantum Update".  Slow as in click icon, walk away, fill and preheat the coffee machine, fix said cup of beverage and "doctor to taste" (the milk-sugar added thing), and when you get back it might be finishing up loading your start page. Seems the update enabled a lot of options that not everybody needs and has to load all of them everytime it is turned on.

So go to your app store, get the Chrome Browser and install it, give it a try and if you don't like it or you want to try something else...... there is Opera, or Safari, and even Firefox which is good once it is loaded up.  smile     

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks for your response Doug. I did download Chrome and tried it again. I do get the songs showing that I click on to have in my files. What the problem is, is that after selecting a song I would wait a minute and then click on ok and then the song would be in the file. Now, I do not see that acceptance box just a screen which keeps telling me to download internet explorer 9. I took a picture of  this screen. But of course I can't figure how I could attach it to this memo.     

Hey Roger, you could just drop me an e-mail and attach the screenshot, and I'd be happy to give it a look-see and perhaps forward it on to our "Super-Mod" Roger Guppy for his input... or you could just drop him a note with the image and if there is a problem with our system get it all sorted in one easy step.  Whatever you are most comfortable with.
By the Way.... Welcome to the Forums and Sorry that it was a problem that brought you here.  You might consider wandering down to the Chat Corner and introduce yourself to the Community, it's always nice to have another join in the conversations and all.  smile     

Doug what is your email address. If it to be found on site , where , thanks Roger.  Also, does Chordie act the same way as before. I used to be able to get the file on my tablet , then scroll the song so I could play it with my guitar. I do appreciate your responses Doug.     

6 (edited by Doug_Smith 2018-10-02 13:59:24)

mail on the way to you with that information.  TTYL   smile     

ETA:  Roger sent me a screenshot of what he was getting, and hopefully we will explore the issue to see if there is a bug, and where it might be.  I will update this thread to guide folks that might experience similar problems and especially post the solution when we have one.  DS

OK, here's what we know.... Roger was searching the song Alright, by Darius Rucker using the alphabetical search rather than the artist name search. Much as one would if you were unsure of who actually recorded the tune, but did know the song title.  He was finding that there was a short wait after choosing the song during which he would get a box requesting affirmation of his selection or "cancel".  On choosing OK, the song would display as usual and recently instead of giving him the selection option it would open a page overlay much like one would get if you were a programmer wanting to edit the page layout code, but with comments like found HTML5..... upgrade to internet explorer 9 required, java script error, java not found, and such.  ???  I have not seen such text in normal use of the index here on Chordie, so I tried to duplicate his tracks and search on Windows and on Linux/Android with the Chrome Browser to see if the condition persists.   Sadly I was unable to get the same result as he did...  sad

So I'm putting it out there to anyone who has seen anything similar recently to please comment here and perhaps shed some light.  or I'll even take a reasonable guess. Thanks !!     

More info here.... Roger was using an App called Chordinator to access Chordie and there was some problem with their App which has been resolved (I gather from our last e-mail contact).

Always like a happy outcome !  smile     

Well done Doug!!!

I have nominated you for extra pickles to be awarded in this year's remuneration. lol

Roger     

"Do, or do not; there is no try"