Topic: Are Pitch Correction Devices Autonomous?

I sometimes go off-key in the middle of a song.

While it only happens about 99.9% of the time, it does happen, and I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those plug-ins that mess with one's voice to keep it "in tune". The one I am looking at is called "Waves Tune Real Time" and is very affordable, but I am wondering what happens if I'm recording myself singing and playing guitar. I suspect one cannot do this, and I'd like someone here to corroborate it.

When I first begin a song, I will hum along with the chord until I am sure I have myself "on-key", and then I begin to play and sing.

I( don't know if the cause is the loss of my cognitive memory function (due to my dementia) or something else, but more often than not, I will veer off-key somewhere within the tune which just wrecks the whole thing. I mean, I can't just stop playing and hum, can I? smile

Okay, so that's part one of this post. Part two is the fact that some (maybe all) of you would consider this cheating. I know. I consider it cheating as well and it bothers me because at least one of my friends here says he can tell when a person uses one of these devices, and if he thinks of it as cheating then that is why it bothers me.

But it doesn't bother me all that much, and here's why: I'm not really looking to make any money off my caterwauling, and if I can improve it and make it more "palatable" to the human ear, then why shouldn't I?

I know the ultimate decision regarding the use of this $49.00 plug-in will be mine to make , but being that y'all are "family", I do care what you think.

So what do you think?

Thanks

Bill 

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Are Pitch Correction Devices Autonomous?

Hi Bill. On stage I use a harmonizer which has to have a guitar plugged into it to form the two or three piece harmonies eg, you strum the chord and it plays the harmony...simple but your guitar must be in tune! The model I have is a  Digitech pro vocalist 2, not the best one on the market, but you can turn your main vocal down and turn the harmony vocal up. In studios they can adjust the vocal using a computer, I had a program that could do that but it was on win 95 and wont run on later OS. I don't think this has helped at all? Sorry     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Biil, My  motto has always been "whatever works". Go ahead, it's your music, no one here will judge you, the only thing that matters is that you  like what you do.     

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Bill
Go for it,looking forward to hearing you.     

The King Of Audio Torture

Heck Bill
-  I am off key every time - I stink at singing! smile
there is no machine available to make me sound good !!  smile

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Pitch correction devices are surprisingly good at what they do..... the Digitech that Phill mentioned and the Harmony G that I have  work. But most of those things require that you plug your guitar into them and use the instrument for a "reference" in determining which way to adjust the vocal.  Sadly it is difficult to keep things perfectly in tune and if you bend a note the darn thing will try to bend the vocal as well..... that old "double edged sword" thing again.  smile

But something software oriented, could theoretically be applied after the recording and if you are not happy with the result you can "undo" the effect and adjust for another go.     

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

7 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-10-09 20:20:28)

Thansks, Doug and everyone for the advice and votes of confidence. I spoke with "She Who Must Be Obeyed" (Dondra) and she reminded me (gently) that I had promised her a set of earrings, so I guess the software will have to wait a bit, but I sure want to give it a run for the money. I just hope there aren't any additional items I will need to purchase in order to run it on my machine!

I have already chosen a simple tune as a demo. It's an old mac Davis song called "Hard To Be Humble", and what I thought I would do is sing it without the mechanical help and then with the software, and then post it on SoundCloud and let y'all watch and hear it.

Thanks again, my Brothas!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

8 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-10-10 02:41:20)

TIGLJK wrote:

Heck Bill
-  I am off key every time - I stink at singing! smile

Jim, Is it better to stink at a  singing or sing at a stinking? smile

But one thing you definitely don't stink at is thinking. More specifically, turning thinking into singing, sometimes with the help of another great "thinker", our  brotha Phill! Together, you two musical thinkers churn out hit after hit: you with the lyrics and he with the music.

I find myself eagerly awaiting the next collaboration of our own "Lennon/McCartney" and wishing for a cd the way some folks wait for the next novel by Lincoln and Child.

I know, I know. I'm just a drummer, (so what do I know?) but I 'd love it if you two would exploit this talent you two have and create a portfolio, make a KickstartĀ® page and start producing! Too late in life? You're kidding me, right? Morgan Freeman was in his early 50's when he starred as the chauffeur in "Driving Miss Daisy", so there goes that argument.

There are others on our site just like you two and the same goes for them - for all  of you. So much talent and the rest of the world just waiting to hear it and have it shared with them! Wouldn't be bad for ChordieĀ® either. So get up off your duffs and get going! smile

Your one-man cheering section,

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

You're speechless??? smile

Or have I "overstepped my bounds"? smile

Whatever the case, I'm getting ready to put something on SoundCloud, but before I do - does it have to be original or can I cover something else? I don't know for sure if I have ever seen a post where one of you might have done a cover, so that's my reason for asking. The song I want to cover is also easy to strum, not so easy for me to stay on-key, so I want to be as "safe" as I can be.

Thanks

Bill     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

You're speechless??? smile

Or have I "overstepped my bounds"? smile

Whatever the case, I'm getting ready to put something on SoundCloud, but before I do - does it have to be original or can I cover something else? I don't know for sure if I have ever seen a post where one of you might have done a cover, so that's my reason for asking. The song I want to cover is also easy to strum, not so easy for me to stay on-key, so I want to be as "safe" as I can be.

Thanks

Bill

Bill we`ll take whatever you got,original or cover.
I can hardly wait to see what you do.Bring it on!     

The King Of Audio Torture

Woohoo look forward to hearing you Strummerboy smile     

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Bill
I too am with great anticipation of a song by the Musicator Extraordinaire

Thanks also for your kind words. Phill and I do work well together, but both are ridiculously busy with jobs family and other stuff so that kind of commitment is very unlikely.
I'm quite comfortable with just being a simple part of chordie and enjoying the great stuff that our fellow members put out there.
You are quite accurate in your assessment - there is an overwhelming abundance of talent here - and one of these years after I retire I plan on making it to a chordie gathering somewhere to enjoy it first hand.

Thanks again,
Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Late (like way late) I know, but what Doug said is true.  Pitch correction is surprisingly good and when used appropriately completely transparent.    One of the many many reasons I love Reaper like I do is that it ships with a bundle of very good plugins, including a pitch correction VST - ReaTune.   Tell it what key you are in and it will do the rest.

Kenny Gioia has an entire master class on how to use Reaper available on Youtube.    It's free, and even if you aren't a Reaper user (and you should be) it is worthwhile to watch because a lot of what he does is relevant to other DAWs.

Here is the lesson on ReaTune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCb313W6yf0     

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

thanks Jerome, I'll have to download Reaper again as it didn't work very well last time so I dumped it. and I'm always out of tune, but don't tell anyone?     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

thanks Jerome, I'll have to download Reaper again as it didn't work very well last time so I dumped it. and I'm always out of tune, but don't tell anyone?

You're in luck!  Watch a couple of these before you download, so you aren't working in the dark.

http://reaper.fm/videos.php

This is the first one in the program.

http://reaper.fm/videos.php#6fz9wDv-mE0     

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]